By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - First Person Shooter: Mouse, Gamepad or Wiimote?

tabsina said:
Blex said:
windbane said:

Seems to me it would be hard to circle-strafe with a Wiimote, because you have the analog on the nunchuck for movement, then the Wiimote off-screen to turn your view. That's the circle-strafe, but then if you want to shoot somebody you'd start just shafing and no longer turning so you can't circle and shoot at the same time. Am I wrong about this?

theres an imaginary box reticule that (depending on how large or small) will determine how long it takes to turn. in red steel you would have to move the cursor to the edge of the screen b/c of a large box reticule but with metroid prime 3 there are settings that allow that "box" to be shrunk so you'll have a much more realistic way of turning.

i read this on ign some time ago so i hope i was able to recall this correctly. can someone back me up on this?

(hopefully im right)

You are right indeed

Hum...well, I'll have to play Metroid Prime and see if they get it right.  If Nintendo can't, then it won't be right one would think.

Around the Network
windbane said:
tabsina said:
Blex said:
windbane said:

Seems to me it would be hard to circle-strafe with a Wiimote, because you have the analog on the nunchuck for movement, then the Wiimote off-screen to turn your view. That's the circle-strafe, but then if you want to shoot somebody you'd start just shafing and no longer turning so you can't circle and shoot at the same time. Am I wrong about this?

theres an imaginary box reticule that (depending on how large or small) will determine how long it takes to turn. in red steel you would have to move the cursor to the edge of the screen b/c of a large box reticule but with metroid prime 3 there are settings that allow that "box" to be shrunk so you'll have a much more realistic way of turning.

i read this on ign some time ago so i hope i was able to recall this correctly. can someone back me up on this?

(hopefully im right)

You are right indeed

Hum...well, I'll have to play Metroid Prime and see if they get it right.  If Nintendo can't, then it won't be right one would think.

Just to be clear, i was merely pointing out that IGN said that was right.. i wasn't saying it was going to be right no matter what

Red Steel was more of a free-roaming gallery shooter. The 'reticule box' was very large and the turning slow, but on the upside you could aim freely and quickly around the screen without changing your POV. To compare it to regular first-person shooters on the PC and console misses the point that it's a totally different/unique game (I didn't like it anyways, but I see how some could).

Anyone who wants to see how a 'normal' FPS works on Wii should try out COD3. The POV isn't totally fixed to the pointer by default (I prefer the 'lag'), which is normal for FPSs, but it can be locked if you like (MP3 will be fixed it looks like). The aiming and movement work very very well, although the motion control bits (other than reloading and changing weapons which work great) seem very rushed for launch (like the absolutely broken pin-pulling on bombs).

dgm6780 said:

All this Wii-mote being kick ass for FPS is all theorical at this point.  I admit Red Steel is the only one I have played but it was a horrible pain in the ass. and it wasnt realistic like I had imagined.  

I was keeping my arm locked at the shoulder and using tiny wrist movements to aim. if i tried to aim it like a pistol I had horrible accuracy and would seen get motion sick.  Instead of using thumbs I was using my wrist (why is this better?).  i might be retarded i dunno.   

mouse 10/10

pad 7/10

wiimote 4/7 

more time woulda helped me out, but my god Red Steel was one of my biggest gaming disappointments of my life.  i was DYING to play it - talked a guy from work into bringing his wii w/him to work - hooked up to the widescreen in the bar area on a 50" widescreen. We fired it up and I still cant quite fathom just HOW disappointed I was.  

Keep in mind that , The commericals for the Wii ALMOST had me on the Wii wagon.  But 

karma intervened and I got my hands on a PS3 at wally world 7 days after launch and did the FPS thing Resistance style! Long live the Playstation !

I couldnt agree more Red steel had me so excited I Knew that the Controller could be used for more than kids games I was all on board......Then I played Red Steel the acuracy was terrible the sword play was fun but all in all I was really dissapointed...I really hope they make some real improvements or else I will not be playing the Wii too much as i was more annoyed at Red Steell than i have been at a game in a long time. That being said the Wii mote has tremendous potential but right now FPS have not realized that potential so i don't get the high sores that people have given it. Maybe Nintendo will get it right with Metroird but until then I think it's too early to even give a Wii mote a score on FPS's  

I never really got into the keyboard+mouse thing since i quit playing games on computer years ago.

But between Wiimote and pad, Wiimote no question about it

Wiimote 9/10

Pad 6/10

Around the Network

If you consider rail type shooters as FPS games...

Don't forget light guns. But then again, they are practically Wiimotes but bigger...

Littledgn said:

If you consider rail type shooters as FPS games...

Don't forget light guns. But then again, they are practically Wiimotes but bigger...

The critical difference is that the Wiimote tracks where you're pointing all the time, not just when you press the trigger to see if you registered a shot.

stewacide said:

Red Steel was more of a free-roaming gallery shooter. The 'reticule box' was very large and the turning slow, but on the upside you could aim freely and quickly around the screen without changing your POV. To compare it to regular first-person shooters on the PC and console misses the point that it's a totally different/unique game (I didn't like it anyways, but I see how some could).

Anyone who wants to see how a 'normal' FPS works on Wii should try out COD3. The POV isn't totally fixed to the pointer by default (I prefer the 'lag'), which is normal for FPSs, but it can be locked if you like (MP3 will be fixed it looks like). The aiming and movement work very very well, although the motion control bits (other than reloading and changing weapons which work great) seem very rushed for launch (like the absolutely broken pin-pulling on bombs).

Ahh, so on MP3 the pointer will automatically move the point of view like a mouse would?  I think that would be great, and even better if you could assign a button to hit to allow you to stop moving the camera and just shoot so you could do both.  That way, if you want to circle somebody and shoot you could do so normally, but then if you just want to shoot 5 guys ahead of you, you hit the button to freeze your point of view then quickly shoot all 5 guys.  That way, the screen wouldn't have to move rapidly with your shooting and there would be less chance of one of the guys going off screen (or out of view).

Well, as of right now keyboard+mouse kills all.

Dual analog kinda sucks, too slow and not as fine tuned.

Wiimote, well, that has yet to be proven or disproven. Some games had done ok, but there is still one part missing. The ability to lift the mouse off of the pad to recenter. This is where the wiimote might not make it as a far better solution to FPS games. That is why Red Steel and many others have used the invisible box. To be best they must use the FPS design seen in all PC games where the center of the screen moves with your pointer. To do that though the Wii needs some kind of recentering tool. Or the ability to adjust the sensitivity so it will move perfect with the motion you feel comfortable with. i.e. a comprimise where the screen moves with your pointer but then if you hold the Z button it will act like the bounding box and move you around much faster. I don't know. I do know that Metroid Prime 3 will be the best there will ever be with wiimote in FPS. It will either be perfect and we all love it, or it will be suitable and we will learn to be ok with it like dual analog. 

Ok. I'm gonna put my stuff on the thread. I dont like open debates about crap like this. But all this... Wiimote 10 Mouse 8 and Dual Analog 2... Is CRAZY.

Ok, First off I'll start with the situations.

Fast paced FPS (Doom3, Quake4)
Mouse 10
Wiimote 5
Analog 2

Medium paced. (Resistance, FarCry)
Mouse 10
Analog 8
Wiimote 5

Slow paced. (Oblivion)
Mouse 8
Analog 8
Wiimote 7

Ok, let me explain why I give Analog such high scores the slower the pace.
The main reason is. Realism. If you are holding a M-16 rifle in your hand. I want to see you do a 180, and shoot someone behind you in .5 seconds. (mouse)
That is NOT realism. And the slower the paced the game, the closer I feel 'movement' should be to realism. When you do 3 360's over the period of 2 seconds. (oblivion with mouse). That is stupid. With analog you cant turn that fast. More realistic. And because the game is designed with... not spinning around 3 tines in 2 seconds... The slower turn speed dosent really effect your ability to play the game. 

And the reason I give the Wiimote such low scores is I just dont think it feels very good. I perfer the analog stick. (I'm not one of those people that use it like a d-pad stick) 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!