By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - First Person Shooter: Mouse, Gamepad or Wiimote?

On a german website I had a heavy discussion with a blogger about what is better: Wiimote or Gamepad?

So the question for you: If you could give gamepad, mouse and Wiimote up to 10 credits for FPS controll - what would you rate higher?

Here´s my rating:

Mouse: 10/10

Wiimote: 7/10

Gamepad: 6/10

Now post your oppinion - the best way to find out if something works is to ask the gamers, isn´t it?

Around the Network

my rating:

mouse 10/10

wiimote (when done correctly) 7/10

pad 2/10 (nearly unplayable...) 

Personally I'm lenient regards controls (you have to be lenient when you play FPS's or stealt action games with one analog stick...) I think pads work pretty well. I don't believe wiimote can provide such precision of aiming and movement like standard pad. Actually this statement bases only on reviews because I've never played with Wiimote. And yes mouse is definitely superior.

Having used all 3 methods

Wiimote = 9 (point and shoot - fast, natural, and very accurate)

Mouse = 8 (moving hand and shooting - fast, not quite as natural, but mostly accurate)

Pad = 5 (moving thumbs and shooting - can be quick, but clumsy, and less accurate)

Saying this though if someone spends a lot of time on anyone of those controls they will get quite good. But most people are so used to a mouse that at some level it will be better than anything else a person uses

Pad: 8/10

Wiimote: 1/10

Until a game comes out that nails the Wiimote for FPS I'll stand by it being much worse than both the pad and mouse.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

mouse - 9/10 - easy to play, good but not so "real" wiimote - 7/10 - more "real"-like, but a bit hard to play... I can improove it if metroid realy works better than red steel... gamepad - 1/10 - i feel like paying duke nuke 3d, even with gears of war... it was fun 15 years ago, but it unreal, unprecise, hurts my hand and I cant aim well... for me until WII I realy hated console FPS, I still prefer in PC, but I cant understand how plp play FPS in X360 and play2... gamepads is for plataforms and racing...

10/10 Keyboard

910 Keyboard & Mouse

7/10 Wiimote

7/10 Pads

Keyboard/Mouse = 10/10

Wiimote = 8/10 (some tweaking to Red Steel gave me almost perfect aiming during combat)

Keyboard = 3/10

Gamepad = 2/10 

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

kber81 said:
I don't believe wiimote can provide such precision of aiming and movement like standard pad. Actually this statement bases only on reviews because I've never played with Wiimote

You should give it a try then (for a few hours, to get used to it). You may be surprised the good sence.(or not this is relevant to you)

edit : or play the balltrap game in Wii sports, it is an instant "take in hand", and you should have an idea in a few minutes.

Accuracy:

Wiimote: 8.5/10
Gamepad: 6/10

Fun to use:

Wiimote: 9.5/10
Mouse: 8.5/10
Gamepad: 4.5/10

I don't think the Wiimote will ever become more accurate for me than using a mouse, since the response time and pointer accuracy of the Wiimote isn't perfect. But point and shoot is a lot more immersive than flicking your wrist around or wrestling with analog sticks.

EDIT: Yes, I've used all three.  TFC and CS with a mouse for years, Goldeneye for hours upon hours, Metroid Prime, and Halo with analog sticks, and Red Steel and Twilight Princess (aiming the bow is similar to FPS aiming) with the Wiimote.