By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Let's Make Nintendo Aware of Johnny Lee!

Kasz216 said:
Mummelmann said:
That was slightly boring. He knows his stuff, but not stuff I care much about.

You appear to be in a very grinchy mood today. Considering your stance on the wii in general and how you don't like motion controls running the market i'm surprised you'd even bother to watch the video.

Yeah, sorry about that. I hate christmas... Something terrible always happens in my family this time of the year...

Around the Network

Yeha, I just want to point out that while it is totally awesome that he's developed this stuff independently, I'm totally certain that Nintendo has also figured this stuff out. the reason why this stuff hasn't been put out is because Nintendo is still pushing group and inclusive games out there. The head tracking thing is very specifically One player only.

I love the demonstration though, but being totally serious here, I could honestly do the same if I had the equipment at hand. I just don't have the resources this guy has or I could pull out just as much cool stuff. Seriously, does someone want to send me a USB bluetooth that actually works with a Wiimote?

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

alpha_dk said:
@dryden:

This is not now in the public domain. In order to get this idea in the public domain, he would need to do an expensive patent search, patent it, and then put the patent into the public domain (or, really, offer a non-exclusive, royalty-free, irrevokable blanket patent to everyone on the planet). As it stands, if it is not yet patented, someone could walk into the patent office tomorrow, EVEN THOUGH he has already released this video, and patent this idea instead of him and thereby receive a patent for it. At this point, they would be able to sue anyone but him for patent violation, unless they have a documented earlier use of this technique to claim prior art; you cannot use someone else's prior art as your prior art, except to try and convince a judge that its an obvious extension of previous work to an expert in the field, which would be a hard thing to prove.

So in conclusion, IANAL:TINLA, but I wouldn't go around implementing this tech just yet and think you're safe... it in no way is in the public domain.

Um, I'm not totally certain about that. Because he already has teh video out demonstrating that he's done this himself, and can provide documentation as to how the process is done, he would likely be able to contest any patents made by anyone else. that's how the patent office used to be, but anymore, I'm fairly certain that documentation of the actual development process is more important than just when you get to the patent office.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Grey Acumen said:
alpha_dk said:
@dryden:

This is not now in the public domain. In order to get this idea in the public domain, he would need to do an expensive patent search, patent it, and then put the patent into the public domain (or, really, offer a non-exclusive, royalty-free, irrevokable blanket patent to everyone on the planet). As it stands, if it is not yet patented, someone could walk into the patent office tomorrow, EVEN THOUGH he has already released this video, and patent this idea instead of him and thereby receive a patent for it. At this point, they would be able to sue anyone but him for patent violation, unless they have a documented earlier use of this technique to claim prior art; you cannot use someone else's prior art as your prior art, except to try and convince a judge that its an obvious extension of previous work to an expert in the field, which would be a hard thing to prove.

So in conclusion, IANAL:TINLA, but I wouldn't go around implementing this tech just yet and think you're safe... it in no way is in the public domain.

Um, I'm not totally certain about that. Because he already has teh video out demonstrating that he's done this himself, and can provide documentation as to how the process is done, he would likely be able to contest any patents made by anyone else. that's how the patent office used to be, but anymore, I'm fairly certain that documentation of the actual development process is more important than just when you get to the patent office.

You'd think so, wouldn't you?  Too bad it's not even clear-cut when Apple releases to the public an entire product line, and Microsoft is still able to file (and get) a patent on that product after it has launched.

Patent law is nothing to mess around with.  Try, and you'll more likely get burned than not.  Frankly, patent reform can't come soon enough. 

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Grey Acumen said:
alpha_dk said:
@dryden:

The issue with patent applications in the US is that virtually anyone can file and be awarded a patent, then the burden of proof falls on a challenger to refute the original claim on grounds of  obviousness, the existance of a preceeding patent, prior art, or some such. It's exponentially more expensive for a second company to challenge an existing patent than for the first company to come forward and stake a claim to a new territory. In those respects, alpha_dk is absolutely correct: Johnny Lee demonstrating these methods does not invalidate Nintendo patenting them tomorrow.

But I do contend that Johnny Lee breaking down new walls with his work and giving these ideas to the public does move us a step closer towards building a foundation of Wii Remote enabled technologies being open and available. Without knowing what Nintendo has up their sleeves, it's impossible to say.

My point though, is these are applications that I hope Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, and everybody else will someday be able to use. I would be just as concerned about new input methods being "controlled" by Nintendo just as if they were owned by anyone else. The Sony/Immersion mess regarding rumble is just one example where the customers wound up being the biggest losers in the whole deal. 

Around the Network

2008 might see Nintendo announce some VR projects for the Wii.

HomerS said:
Astrodust said:
Shoot I can't remember where I saw that video of the Wiimote being used as a lightsaber in real time.

the video with the lightsaber u probably mean, is not from johnny lee but another guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyvIlKSA0BA&feature=related

Ah that is the video I remember watching. I thought it was Johnny Lee but I was wrong. It's amazing the stuff they are coming up for the Wii. Anyways seeing the lightsaber demo made me drool just a little. I think the Wii has so much more potential than some people realize. It truly is next gen.