By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MOst overrated "thing" this gen???

MOst overrated "thing" this gen???

PS3 power (game graphics, cell etc) 151 27.06%

Xbox Live 144 25.81%

Wii (console) 114 20.43%

Other 115 20.61%

#1 and #3 11 1.97%

#1 and #2 22 3.94%

Total:557
Zkuq said:

@osamanobama: Don't forget ads! Last I heard, they still had ads even for paying users.

yeah they are definitely laughing all the way to the bank with not only live revenue but also ad revenue.

they make a shit load from that im sure

Around the Network
osamanobama said:

XBOX LIVE

one of the biggest scams ever (for gaming)

people pay $60 for what?

hardly any dedicated server games (playstation has wa more)

small multiplayer counts, i think the most so far is 24. (psn has 30, 32, 60, and i believe 256)

no internet browser.

very closed network (cant get games with features like LBP and Portal)

it started the paid DLC

psn has netflix, vudoo, mlb.tv, nhl network, hulu, and even espn3 through the browser (all of these at no extra charge)

the only thing it has the psn doesnt (though the free steam does) is cross game chat.

so they are paying $60 to use their own internet connection and are happy about it.

theres a reason paid for window live failed. people new that werent paying for anything, they were getting scammed

Their are deals on X Box live almost every other week so I highly doubt that the majority of users actual pay $60.  Also if you buy a lot of X Box live Arcade games you can recoup the cost of a membership very easily with the deals of the week.  Actually smaller multi player count is a good think for the most part because its very hard to find 30 people to play one game once it is no longer very popular unless you want to spend more time waiting to find a game then actualy playing the game.  Also as long as you are restricted to one browers on a console being able to suft the web on a console is a bad idea their are cell phones out their that can browse the web better then the PS3 and the Wii.

Chris Hu said:
osamanobama said:

XBOX LIVE

people pay $60 for what?

small multiplayer counts, i think the most so far is 24. (psn has 30, 32, 60, and i believe 256)

no internet browser.

it started the paid DLC

psn has netflix, vudoo, mlb.tv, nhl network, hulu, and even espn3 through the browser (all of these at no extra charge)

the only thing it has the psn doesnt (though the free steam does) is cross game chat.

so they are paying $60 to use their own internet connection and are happy about it.

theres a reason paid for window live failed. people new that werent paying for anything, they were getting scammed

1)Their are deals on X Box live almost every other week so I highly doubt that the majority of users actual pay $60.2)  Also if you buy a lot of X Box live Arcade games you can recoup the cost of a membership very easily with the deals of the week.  3)Actually smaller multi player count is a good think for the most part because its very hard to find 30 people to play one game once it is no longer very popular unless you want to spend more time waiting to find a game then actualy playing the game. 4)Also as long as you are restricted to one browers on a console being able to suft the web on a console is a bad idea their are cell phones out their that can browse the web better then the PS3 and the Wii.

1st: still costs money

2nd: your spending money, your not recouping anything. thats like saying retaining tax rates, creates a defecit. guess what you cant be in debt if you dont spend money

3rd: depends on who you ask, at least on psn you still have the choice. there are small games (UNcharted and then therees MAG). with Live you dont have choice

4th: its better than not having one and its still free. i would rather have it than not. and it performs adequately

osamanobama said:
Chris Hu said:
osamanobama said:

XBOX LIVE

people pay $60 for what?

no internet browser.

it started the paid DLC

1)Their are deals on X Box live almost every other week so I highly doubt that the majority of users actual pay $60.2)  Also if you buy a lot of X Box live Arcade games you can recoup the cost of a membership very easily with the deals of the week.  3)Actually smaller multi player count is a good think for the most part because its very hard to find 30 people to play one game once it is no longer very popular unless you want to spend more time waiting to find a game then actualy playing the game. 4)Also as long as you are restricted to one browers on a console being able to suft the web on a console is a bad idea their are cell phones out their that can browse the web better then the PS3 and the Wii.

2nd: your spending money, your not recouping anything. thats like saying retaining tax rates, creates a defecit. guess what you cant be in debt if you dont spend money

3rd: depends on who you ask, at least on psn you still have the choice. there are small games (UNcharted and then therees MAG). with Live you dont have choice

4th: its better than not having one and its still free. i would rather have it than not. and it performs adequately

Sure LIve still costs money but if its a rip off or not depends on how much you use it or how much you paid for it.  How are you not recouping money on deals of the week if you are spending less money.  The perfect way to implement online play is to start out with 16 player matches and increase it through updates once the game gets more users and once it becomes less popular decrease the number of players again.  Browsers on a home console for the most part are still a bad idea.  If people really wanted to browse the web on their home cosole that badly then last gen more consoles would already have had browsers besides the Dreamcast (which also had a web browser that perfomed adequately for its time but still was crab compared to a real browser).

The console wars are overrated.

People should enjoy games without worrying about where their loyalties lie. 

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network
FinalEvangelion said:

The console wars are overrated.

People should enjoy games without worrying about where their loyalties lie. 

Halo, Halo and Halo

pezus said:
Conegamer said:

Probably COD and GTAIV. They're average at best, why do they sell 10million copies AND also some of the highest rated games of all time? How? They don't deserve to be up there with Zelda and Mario Galaxy, no way

Yes, they do. That's my opinion anyway :P and you can keep yours.

No, GTA IV was a complete backtrack for the series.

• Smaller area than San Andreas
  • FAR fewer sidequests than any other GTA game since III
  • Less compelling city area
  • Poorer controls than the PS2 versions
  • Too realistic

All of those things are what's wrong with GTA IV, because instead of focusing on the game, they focused on the graphics. I LOVE GTA, and have every one (Bar II), and GTA IV is certainly the weakest. IF a game can look good and play good, and follow in the series' landmark traits, whilst improving in weaker areas (i.e. Mario Galaxy 2), then yes, it should be heralded as one of the best games of all time. San Andreas is my 3rd favourite game of all time, GTA IV isn't in the top 100...

Same goes for FFXIII and Resi 5 IMO. Focus was on the graphics, not the gameplay. Lots of great games run into the ground because of this. It's almost sad...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Chris Hu said:
osamanobama said:
Chris Hu said:
osamanobama said:

XBOX LIVE

people pay $60 for what?

no internet browser.

it started the paid DLC

Sure LIve still costs money but if its a rip off or not depends on how much you use it or how much you paid for it.  How are you not recouping money on deals of the week if you are spending less money.  The perfect way to implement online play is to start out with 16 player matches and increase it through updates once the game gets more users and once it becomes less popular decrease the number of players again.  Browsers on a home console for the most part are still a bad idea.  If people really wanted to browse the web on their home cosole that badly then last gen more consoles would already have had browsers besides the Dreamcast (which also had a web browser that perfomed adequately for its time but still was crab compared to a real browser).

so if i want to play gears of war online, i have to pay for XBL but to "recoup my money" i have to buy games on deals of the week even if i dont want them? thats the most BS excuse for charging gamers to play a game online when it has been completely free before microsoft entered the market with XBL. psn is free but theres an option to recoup money on the OPTIONAL PSN if you think it will advantage you.

and i have internet on my pc and ps3, i still prefer going on many websites and apps like iplayer on the ps3 so i can watch it on the bigger higher quality tv rather than the monitor my pc is connected to. XBL costs a fee and still doenst offer that variety.

the point of the server debate is to prove XBL is not technically better so its not a reason to charge a premium, its not about if someone prefers it or not. and anyway resistance has options to select small medium or large games.

Nothing is over-rated. Alot of people like it for a reason.