By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Guild Wars 2 preview - The Uncharted 2 of MMOs?

Rainbird said:
qmoney88 said:

That commando vid was pure awesome and completely left field, I had no idea theyd throw in a class like this!  This game is going to dominate my life, Ive accepted my fate.

Uhm... Since you're going to find out sooner or later... that video was released april 1st. There's a very good reason why it was completely left field.

wow I feel  like such a douche haha, I didnt even think about that lol

PROUD MEMBER OF THE  PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network
qmoney88 said:
Rainbird said:
qmoney88 said:

That commando vid was pure awesome and completely left field, I had no idea theyd throw in a class like this!  This game is going to dominate my life, Ive accepted my fate.

Uhm... Since you're going to find out sooner or later... that video was released april 1st. There's a very good reason why it was completely left field.

wow I feel  like such a douche haha, I didnt even think about that lol

Can happen to the best of us.

But if you have the first game, you can play a quest right now that allows you to play as a commando, it's sweet!

Areym said:
zgamer5 said:
Areym said:
r505Matt said:
Funtime said:

GW2 sounds fantastic. The only issue it might have is how many people can actually run the game. WoW has 13 million players because just about everyone on Earth can run it at a steady 30 fps or better. GW2 will be lucky to have 3-5 million people world wide that can actually run it at it's full potential. Probably not even that. People don't generally like buying a great looking game then having to turn all of the video settings down to low just to play it at 20 fps.

With any luck the devs have crunched the code well enough that people won't need to spend $500 on PC upgrades to play it.

You ask how many can run the game, then you use the word full potential. Which is it? People don't play WoW for the graphics anyways (since they're awful), it's for the experience. Actually, MMO players have shown again and again that they care little for graphics anyways.

Also, Anet has stated that the engine is very optimized and looks great even at lower settings.

The thing about a lot gamers is that we don't want to play in lower settings. I personally don't enjoy games in low settings. I buy a game, I want the full experience, but sometimes due to our computer's specs, we accomodate. I like this game and I havent played a good mmo since my early days of Maplestory. I have a gaming laptop, fairly recent and If it can run the game at least at a normal setting, I might just pick this up.

gw2 looks great, because of the art not the graphics. also if mmo players dont care about graphics, then they dont mind playing at a lower seeting.

I mean yeah, if the game is good, I will play lower settings but when i play in lower settings, I can't help but feel that I'm missing something, especially if it's for a game I'm paying for. I'm not gonna shell out money to play a game in lower settings, it doesn't make sense to me. If it's a free mmo, then I don't care as much. I like to think I'm not a graphics whore but idk anymore.

like i said before, your not an mmo player. thas why you mind it. others dont.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Areym said:
zgamer5 said:
Areym said:
r505Matt said:
Funtime said:

GW2 sounds fantastic. The only issue it might have is how many people can actually run the game. WoW has 13 million players because just about everyone on Earth can run it at a steady 30 fps or better. GW2 will be lucky to have 3-5 million people world wide that can actually run it at it's full potential. Probably not even that. People don't generally like buying a great looking game then having to turn all of the video settings down to low just to play it at 20 fps.

With any luck the devs have crunched the code well enough that people won't need to spend $500 on PC upgrades to play it.

You ask how many can run the game, then you use the word full potential. Which is it? People don't play WoW for the graphics anyways (since they're awful), it's for the experience. Actually, MMO players have shown again and again that they care little for graphics anyways.

Also, Anet has stated that the engine is very optimized and looks great even at lower settings.

The thing about a lot gamers is that we don't want to play in lower settings. I personally don't enjoy games in low settings. I buy a game, I want the full experience, but sometimes due to our computer's specs, we accomodate. I like this game and I havent played a good mmo since my early days of Maplestory. I have a gaming laptop, fairly recent and If it can run the game at least at a normal setting, I might just pick this up.

gw2 looks great, because of the art not the graphics. also if mmo players dont care about graphics, then they dont mind playing at a lower seeting.

I mean yeah, if the game is good, I will play lower settings but when i play in lower settings, I can't help but feel that I'm missing something, especially if it's for a game I'm paying for. I'm not gonna shell out money to play a game in lower settings, it doesn't make sense to me. If it's a free mmo, then I don't care as much. I like to think I'm not a graphics whore but idk anymore.

Wait, let me get this straight. You'd rather play a worse game with worse graphics than a better game with better graphics simply because you can max out your video specs with the first game? That makes NO sense to me. It will still look worse and be less fun than the better game.

Let's take the 'better/worse' game part out and just make it about graphics. You would rather play a worse looking game on max than a better looking game on low? GW2's low/medium settings may blow other games' max settings away in terms of quality. You should make a judgement based on how a game looks, not where your settings are at.

Though, I don't have to take the better game part out since GW2 will be the best game ever =)

r505Matt said:
Areym said:
zgamer5 said:
Areym said:
r505Matt said:
Funtime said:

Wait, let me get this straight. You'd rather play a worse game with worse graphics than a better game with better graphics simply because you can max out your video specs with the first game? That makes NO sense to me. It will still look worse and be less fun than the better game.

Let's take the 'better/worse' game part out and just make it about graphics. You would rather play a worse looking game on max than a better looking game on low? GW2's low/medium settings may blow other games' max settings away in terms of quality. You should make a judgement based on how a game looks, not where your settings are at.

Though, I don't have to take the better game part out since GW2 will be the best game ever =)

Bare in mind, the worse looking game is free and the better is not. I mean that when it comes to prices. Hell, if they were both free, I'll play the better graphics one but in this case, GW2 isn't free. Like I said, I don't wanna buy a game where I can't see it's true potential, with the graphics looking at its best, which is why i favor console games, I get the game for my PS3, I don't have to worry about specs, how much RAM, blah blah blah or any of that. Basically when it comes to non-free MMOs, I will not accomodate for lesser graphics. If they are free, oh yeah.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network
Areym said:
r505Matt said:

Bare in mind, the worse looking game is free and the better is not. I mean that when it comes to prices. Hell, if they were both free, I'll play the better graphics one but in this case, GW2 isn't free. Like I said, I don't wanna buy a game where I can't see it's true potential, with the graphics looking at its best, which is why i favor console games, I get the game for my PS3, I don't have to worry about specs, how much RAM, blah blah blah or any of that. Basically when it comes to non-free MMOs, I will not accomodate for lesser graphics. If they are free, oh yeah.

By "free" are you referring to F2P, or just totally free. I mean, you can't get a game for your PS3 without paying for it, so it's the same here (piracy aside). You do realize GW2 is F2P right? No monthly fees.

Now if you're referring to completely free games, then good luck to you. I've played tons of free games and most of them are awful. Sure, they're free, but the gameplay is usually bland/unoriginal and the game as a whole is usually 'weaker' than most non-free games. Some of them are okay, but there are usually enough flaws that it just isn't even worth it to play them. 

I mean, I'm a total GW2 fanboy. I want people to check out the game because for the first time in my life, I truly believe this game is going to be absolutely amazing. So I hope you don't think I'm tryin to pick a fight or something over this, I just hope you will see the light! Wagram might not play this game because it doesn't have a job system, but I think it could be even worse if you won't play this game simply because you may not be able to run it on max.