By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Guild Wars 2 preview - The Uncharted 2 of MMOs?

Around the Network

"Since it's not fighting for your $15 a month"

Even though there isn't a monthly fee I would gladly pay that if there was a job system similar to FFXI or XIV. Game looks mighty interesting.

calibrate` said:

w00t?

@ Funtime

ArenaNet are working to make sure it can run on older hardware. They said themselves that they're playing on PCs that are a few years old to make sure the game will run well on hardware like that.

Wagram said:

Even though there isn't a monthly fee I would gladly pay that if there was a job system similar to FFXI or XIV. Game looks mighty interesting.

Haha, we've told you before, there isn't. Once you pick your class, you're stuck in that class. I'm not usually one for making alts (I like to have just my 1 main character), but this game seems to be the first in which I'll have many. This is assuming the personal story thing is as interesting as it sounds. If it is, I'll naturally want to make new races/classes just to experience more of the story, world, and game.

I just hope you don't completely avoid it once it's released just because it doesn't have a job system. If it lives up to the expectations, then it would be a real shame if you miss out on it for that.

r505Matt said:
Wagram said:

Haha, we've told you before, there isn't. Once you pick your class, you're stuck in that class. I'm not usually one for making alts (I like to have just my 1 main character), but this game seems to be the first in which I'll have many. This is assuming the personal story thing is as interesting as it sounds. If it is, I'll naturally want to make new races/classes just to experience more of the story, world, and game.

I just hope you don't completely avoid it once it's released just because it doesn't have a job system. If it lives up to the expectations, then it would be a real shame if you miss out on it for that.

I may pick it up but my only fear is that i'll drop it quick. I HATE being stuck and having to make alts. Hell i'm having a hard time playing KH BBS atm due to having to rerun the game like 3 times.

Around the Network
Wagram said:

I may pick it up but my only fear is that i'll drop it quick. I HATE being stuck and having to make alts. Hell i'm having a hard time playing KH BBS atm due to having to rerun the game like 3 times.

Wait, you're saying the reason you like the job system from FF is because you don't get stuck? Is that stuck in the game or stuck with the profession? Because Guild Wars 2 is designed so you don't really get stuck in the game that way. But even if you don't want to rerun the game over and over for alts, you can still just buy it and play through the content like you would in a normal RPG, and once you've reached the end of the story, put it down if you don't want to play it from the beginning.

Rainbird said:
Wagram said:

Wait, you're saying the reason you like the job system from FF is because you don't get stuck? Is that stuck in the game or stuck with the profession? Because Guild Wars 2 is designed so you don't really get stuck in the game that way. But even if you don't want to rerun the game over and over for alts, you can still just buy it and play through the content like you would in a normal RPG, and once you've reached the end of the story, put it down if you don't want to play it from the beginning.

Profession. Also is Guild Wars a RPG that you can offline or is it solely an online title?

Wagram said:

Profession. Also is Guild Wars a RPG that you can offline or is it solely an online title?

Solely online. But GW2 is still built like an RPG with a proper story, and you can basically play through the whole thing alone if you really want (or at least the story missions, you'll probably have hard time getting any event to yourself. ).

With GW1 7/8 of my available character slots are used, I keep the last one free for PvP. It is really a game that you want to use multiple characters to experience the different builds and skills.

AdventWolf said:

With GW1 7/8 of my available character slots are used, I keep the last one free for PvP. It is really a game that you want to use multiple characters to experience the different builds and skills.

And the same should apply for GW2, not to mention all the extra content there is to experience.