By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why does the media worship Apple?

From a business standpoint, Apple is a company others can only hope to imitate with lesser success. Most would be happy with that.

From an investor standpoint, it's tough to find any tech stock that's performed better since the market bottomed out in 2008.

As a market leader, they have been defining the tech trends other companies are quick to follow from the iPod to the iPhone and now the iPad. Say what you will about those devices as an anti-Apple biased observer, but the simple facts are they are able to sell their products at the profit margins they set because users simply prefer the experience.

It's not because the consumers are all "sheep" and it's not because they're "too stupid" to know any better or figure out how to use Windows (most Apple owners likely use a Windows based PC at the office; using Windows is meant to be easy, not rocket science), nor is it because there are tens of millions of elitist douchebag hipsters buying all their products (sorry, but as a niche within a niche there simply aren't enough to drive the market).

What has the majority of the PC market in terms of operating system usage? Windows. By a landslide multiple times over. So by this narrow mentality if you use Windows, you are a sheep, regardless of whether you build or buy your own PC.

By this same narrow line of thinking, if you don't source indivdual components and build your own PC in an effort to shave as much off the cost of a PC as possible with the best configuration possible, you are an "idiot," meaning anyone who buys a pre-configured computer from Asus, HP, Dell, etc. is an "idiot."

Wrong and wrong.

Oh yes, and while we're at it, anyone who buys any brand product for style, personal preference, aesthetics or anything other than basic utility is an "idiot."

Also wrong.

You have to wonder who's really being elitist here with some of the attitudes towards Apple and the consumers who buy their products.

And taking the latest example; if the iPad is such a horrendous idea and product, why is every major company and their grandmother rushing to market in an attempt to capture marketshare? If the iOS was such a horrendous concept, why was Android ever developed? And why does MS continue to try (without success) to push products like Zune, Win7 Mobile, etc. etc.?

Around the Network
blazinhead89 said:

Sheep. That's the mentality behind it. The average consumer is ignorant to the fact their are better quality priced alternatives in all of apples product lines.

No alternative to the iPad can compete on just price, let alone quality.  The most-hyped of these, the Motorola Xoom, is not only more expensive, but loses badly on quality, with its non-functional Flash, non-functional SD slot, buggy software, far slower performance, and inferior battery life.  And just where is the competition for iPod touch?

It's because Apple makes the best quality products in many regards and is really good at "flirting" with media outlets. But honestly: People need to look further than just "my notebook has better specs!" The overall quality of Apple's products is astonishing and they know what people want.

From my personal experience I've had countless of people telling me how their notebooks are faster than my Macbook Pro (and I never talk about it - people just go on telling me whenever they see it ). But the design, the big trackpad, the magnetic power adapter, the size compared to other notebooks, the screen, the great battery life and the operating system are what sold me on this product. Somehow people only look at the specs, though. They basically buy quad core CPU's and need at least 8GB of ram in their system and then they do some casual gaming and check their emails on their bulky notebooks that last two hours on a single charge and don't have a multi touch trackpad.

I still maintain that Apple's products are overpriced and as a company they are really arrogant and often don't incorporate standart technology because of Jobs' personal feelings ("Blu-Ray is bad!" "Who needs Flash?") but the overall quality of their products is really high and they are in no way made only for the casual PC users. And Apple knows what people want.

ebw said:
blazinhead89 said:

Sheep. That's the mentality behind it. The average consumer is ignorant to the fact their are better quality priced alternatives in all of apples product lines.

No alternative to the iPad can compete on just price, let alone quality.  The most-hyped of these, the Motorola Xoom, is not only more expensive, but loses badly on quality, with its non-functional Flash, non-functional SD slot, buggy software, far slower performance, and inferior battery life.  And just where is the competition for iPod touch?

The Microsoft Zune HD! oh wait...

Nevermind.

UncleScrooge said:

It's because Apple makes the best quality products in many regards and is really good at "flirting" with media outlets. But honestly: People need to look further than just "my notebook has better specs!" The overall quality of Apple's products is astonishing and they know what people want.

From my personal experience I've had countless of people telling me how their notebooks are faster than my Macbook Pro (and I never talk about it - people just go on telling me whenever they see it ). But the design, the big trackpad, the magnetic power adapter, the size compared to other notebooks, the screen, the great battery life and the operating system are what sold me on this product. Somehow people only look at the specs, though. They basically buy quad core CPU's and need at least 8GB of ram in their system and then they do some casual gaming and check their emails on their bulky notebooks that last two hours on a single charge and don't have a multi touch trackpad.

I still maintain that Apple's products are overpriced and as a company they are really arrogant and often don't incorporate standart technology because of Jobs' personal feelings ("Blu-Ray is bad!" "Who needs Flash?") but the overall quality of their products is really high and they are in no way made only for the casual PC users. And Apple knows what people want.

An interesting thing I've noticed as a 3D animation/VFX student is that a disproportionate amount of students buy Mac laptops relative to the general population (much more than the 5-6% of the PC market that Apple holds).

I've also noticed that there is also a pretty fair number of uninformed students who expect to be able to render projects in Maya with a C2D based MBP in a reasonable amount of time. Apples and Oranges between rendering on a laptop and a lab workstation PC based on a Xeon 56XX based CPU.

And it is true that Apple very likely knows and caters to its userbase better (or at least more successfully) than any other computer manufacturer.

I just ordered a Sandy Bridge i7 Quad (my 5th Apple laptop), and as I said back in the 90s when the popular mantra was that Apple was on the verge of going out of business, I will continue to buy Apple PCs for as long as they make them, even if just to supplement any Wintel based workstations I build myself. 

Like many Apple consumers, I don't want the cheapest bang for my buck; I want a computer that I enjoy using for productivity.

Around the Network

Because it's popular. The media follows what is popular or will become popular. And because Apple is bigger than nintendo, microsoft or sony.

I got an ipod nano 5th gen and love it. It's light for running, with the nike track chip so it tracks my distance while I run. has plenty of capacity. And displays other languages. I've previously tryed a sony, sandisk, and my brother had a zune. And finally decided to give this a try. And I've been rather pleased.

I don't like many of apple products particularly the ipad. But I love my nano

Lol at the suggestion that the media should give as much air time to Nintendo as it does to Apple.

MS has 3.5 popular products. Their OS, their office suite and their web browser. Their OS is in the media when a new version comes out. Their offie suite only has significant updates very infrequently, and isn't particularly something most people care about all that much. The browser is only popular because it comes preinstalled. No-one would care about news posts about browsers, except nerds who use FF/Opera/Chrome anyway. Xbox line gets a decent amount of media attention, they fucking loved kinect.

Nintendo is a very small company compared to Apple, and they did get a decent amount of media attention for their casual Wii/DS games.

Face it, Apple gets media attention because it is huge, and brings out lots of new products each year.

The day the Apple system falls I will celebrate as human victory over pure ignorance.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

welcome to:

===== http://www.clothes6.org  ====

Air jordan(1-24)shoes $30

Handbags(Coach l v f e n d i d&g) $35

Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $15

Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30

Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,A r m a i n i) $15

New era cap $12

Bikini (Ed hardy,polo) $20

====== http://www.clothes6.org ====

http://www.clothes6.org

ive never seen the need to buy apple products because ive ALWAYS come across an alternative which is reasonably priced and often is better/does more than the iproducts.

e.g. my toshiba laptop cost half the price for the same spec apple laptop and it has a bigger screen. and i got a psp instead of an ipod because it plays much better games but can still go on the internet, play music, play movies and all the other stuff.

apple might have a good brand image and build quality but that doesnt mean id pay twice the price it should normally cost and also most their computers specs are outdated. i remember about half a year ago they were charging as much for a core2duo as an alienware gaming pc. lmfao.

every time i see someone using apple hardware i can imagine a sign on their forehead saying "i got ripped off".