By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why does the media worship Apple?

It doesn't take "experience" to get a good laptop in a tight package that runs quick; it takes the appropriate amount of money.

In the case of more budget minded laptops, there will be performance compromises in the interest of keeping costs down to a minimum. In other cases it will be a compromise in terms of packaging. The initial Intel based quadcore laptops (like the Toshiba Qosimo) were so ridiculously large and heavy only a LAN party gamer would consider them portable.

There are good slim form options in the PC market with the current Sandy Bridge based laptops though. This includes the Core i7 Quads as they are simply more efficient than the last generation.

If start up time is to be any sort of guage for performance (not the best guage by any measure; it's almost exclusively a measure of disk performance), any laptop will be greatly improved with a SSD boot drive.

I noticed this on a current model MacBook Air and was so impressed by the performance (fast boot time, near instant program load times) considering the extremely middling CPU and graphics chip that I opted to take a hit on storage and chose an SSD in a built to order MBP. Boot time from pressing the power button to desktop is about 12 seconds. Power down takes between 1-2 seconds.

(edit: more like 15 seconds boot time, 3-4 seconds shut down upon measuring)

Another thing that's not often brought into consideration regarding Macs is that there's a real secondary market for them. $900 received for my old 2.4Ghz C2D/256MB GT 9600 M that I paid about $1,300 for back in the Fall of 2009 from a Mac reseller, not an individual party.

Around the Network

My comment was mostly directed at Grimes and his posts, yes the "you guys" was out of place there. I certainly know how much experience you have with computers, Rocket. 

Also $500 for a Thinkpad is quite on the lowside, yet I have no problems with performance. Just sayin :-p

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

dsister said:

My comment was mostly directed at Grimes and his posts, yes the "you guys" was out of place there. I certainly know how much experience you have with computers, Rocket. 

Also $500 for a Thinkpad is quite on the lowside, yet I have no problems with performance. Just sayin :-p

If I was going to buy a Win laptop for myself on the cheap, it'd be a Lenovo, no doubt. Overall, they're really solid machines if you're not pushing any gaming benchmarks.

I go with Dell at work because I can call a guy, get it ordered in like three minutes, it's not full of extraneous software bullshit (here's looking at you, HP) out of the box, and if it breaks, I can just send it back to them and say "fix it" instead of trying to track down who I bought it from and getting an RMA number.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Hey everyone are you all ready for an iPhone 5, rumor has that it might release in some months.

Seece said:
Acevil said:

I love that this topic is one topic that typically unites all gamers. We all dislike Apple, and we all seem to dislike the hipster lifestyle, that apple has created. 

Machina said I can't say what I really think about Mac owners

But I agree with you.

Fuck Mac owners. That being said, I did that last week with my girlfriend! ZING!