By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why does the media worship Apple?

greenmedic88 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

ok lets assume products not made by apple are cheap and will break (just to keep you happy)

it would still be more cost effective buying 2 computers made by toshiba than 1 apple computer assuming the failure rate of toshiba is as high as 50% and apples is 0% (which it obvisouly isnt but you can go around assuming that if you wish)

No, because I still prefer working on a Mac for a variety of applications.

Even if I got a 3 for 1 sale on a PC, I'd still be left with one box running Windows and two boxes that don't run OSX or any of the apps or utilities I have licensed on the platform.

I don't need another Windows based PC; I can build as many of them as I want using whatever components I want as I see fit. It has nothing to do with the cost. It still takes a lot more of my time configuring everything and getting all my BIOS settings and driver settings working just the way I want them, whereas on the Mac, doing my own IT usually consists of nothing more than basic software installs, automatic updates and the occasional HDD or RAM upgrade, no hassles, or tinkering; just work.

The cost difference in terms of money alone, running the assumption that whatever time I spend on IT related issues is worth zero $ in terms of productivity (completely false) is not unreasonable based on comparable configurations and builds.

Not everybody wants or needs a cheap computer.

Well, if you ignore time spent with IT related issues, the cost is actually quite considerable.  For $900 last August, I got a laptop with a quad core dual threaded processor, 4gb ram, 1gb dedicated graphics card.  You can now get the same thing, with a little better graphics card, and the new quad core processor.  For Apple, a similar spec laptop cost ~$2000.  So you're telling me that ignoring IT costs, there isn't a significant difference?

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

ok lets assume products not made by apple are cheap and will break (just to keep you happy)

it would still be more cost effective buying 2 computers made by toshiba than 1 apple computer assuming the failure rate of toshiba is as high as 50% and apples is 0% (which it obvisouly isnt but you can go around assuming that if you wish)

Even if I got a 3 for 1 sale on a PC, I'd still be left with one box running Windows and two boxes that don't run OSX or any of the apps or utilities I have licensed on the platform.

I don't need another Windows based PC; I can build as many of them as I want using whatever components I want as I see fit. It has nothing to do with the cost. It still takes a lot more of my time configuring everything and getting all my BIOS settings and driver settings working just the way I want them, whereas on the Mac, doing my own IT usually consists of nothing more than basic software installs, automatic updates and the occasional HDD or RAM upgrade, no hassles, or tinkering; just work.

The cost difference in terms of money alone, even running the assumption that whatever time I spend on IT related issues is worth zero $ in terms of productivity (completely false) is not unreasonable based on comparable configurations and builds.

This is just it... I don't want or need a cheap computer. I want a computer that works well, does what I need, and is flexible. Macbooks have that in spades right now. I work in OS X and should the need arise, I boot into Win7 on the same machine. Or I pop into the Terminal and SSH to my heart's content.

I work full time and on the side; my current sites alone earn me $3000 a year from advertising. That's enough to buy a new Mac desktop and laptop every year (not that I do). THEN I build sites for others on the side and make a few thousand more a year. I want a computer that works when I need it to work. If I'm working on the computer itself, I'm not making money. That money is lost AND I'm not doing something I want to do (like watch a movie or play a console game). I'll take the $1500 computer that works every single time I freakin' boot it up because in the end, that computer makes me more money than tinkering around and fucking around just to get something to work.

It's like some people in these threads fail to realize that some of us use computers to make money. I'm sure I can be productive under Win7 (like I am at work) but to get the hardware I want, I'd end up spending as much as a Mac anyway. So why bother? I like the fact that I can put any operating system on that Macbook I want and do whatever I need with the machine.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Baalzamon said:
greenmedic88 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

The cost difference in terms of money alone, running the assumption that whatever time I spend on IT related issues is worth zero $ in terms of productivity (completely false) is not unreasonable based on comparable configurations and builds.

Well, if you ignore time spent with IT related issues, the cost is actually quite considerable.  For $900 last August, I got a laptop with a quad core dual threaded processor, 4gb ram, 1gb dedicated graphics card.  You can now get the same thing, with a little better graphics card, and the new quad core processor.  For Apple, a similar spec laptop cost ~$2000.  So you're telling me that ignoring IT costs, there isn't a significant difference?

What was the weight of the laptop? What was the screen size and resolution (ignoring the importance of screen *quality*, which is important to those of us that design for print)? What is the thickness? Speed and size of the HDD?There is more to a laptop than a processor and RAM.

Yes, Macs cost money. No one is arguing that. But when you start lining up a Vaio or similarly-equipped laptop, they're not that far off the mark.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I know a former manager who I worked for at IBM who is a BIG Apple fanatic.  It is i-everything with him, including Mac for movie editing he does.  In a nutshell, people have a religious devotion to Apple products they way people here have to certain companies out there.  And the media sees this and follows it.  Being a first mover is cool a lot of ways also, and cuts a lot of slack.  And if you are like Apple, you do more and more new initiatives.

Baalzamon said:
greenmedic88 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

Yes, you are right. But if you can't afford it don't buy it.

If I can afford to pay $2000 for a Mac and prefer it over a similar spec laptop for twice the price it's my choice.

If I prefer an Italian sports car that's twice the price but the same spec of a Japanese model it's my choice.

I can go on.

I have worked in companies with 90%  Mac hardware, they can afford it... others can't.

As it has been said before, Apple ain't for the poor, Rolex ain't for the poor and Rolls Royce ain't for the poor .. I stole that BTW.

I totally understand your point and people who find Apple too expensive will obviously take the route you pointed out, like people who can't afford a Porsche will buy a Toyota.

Around the Network

I will admit that even though I don't like ipods, Macintoshs, or the concept of the iPad. I do really want a Macbook Air or Pro. Just the price is a bit too much for what I use a laptop for...

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

greenmedic88 said:
Rath said:
greenmedic88 said:
Rath said:

Sometimes it's because they make very very good products (the iPhone is one of the best smartphones out, no doubt) but sometimes I just don't know. The iPad is an example of a product with only a very very limited range of uses, same goes for all of these new tablet PC's. For most people, in most situations, a netbook is actually a far more useful product. Yet the media fawned over the iPad anyway.

The netbook is really nothing more than a gimped, cut spec/price laptop.

If there is anything a netbook can do that a laptop can't, I haven't heard of it.

I don't consider a netbook a replacement for a proper computer either.

Netbooks have a wide range of actual uses though. They're cheap and highly portable laptops, brilliant for things like note-taking, plane trips, taking on vacation. There are things that they're more suitable for than laptops and there're alse people who they're more suitable for (people who can't afford full spec laptops). I really just can't see what the market opening for tablet PC's is, but people have bought them just because they have that little 'i' in front.

I would hope most are aware that for about the same price, one can buy an entry level laptop that runs a normal version of Windows in addition to all the regular apps people use Windows for.

About the only thing your save over a laptop when you buy a netbook is weight since it's little more than a fold out tablet PC with a keyboard, only heavier and with worse power management. 

The truth is, a tablet PC does most of what the average consumer uses a computer for (web browsing, image viewing, music, video, reading documents, etc.).

Watch and see as tablets continue to eat away at what's left of the netbook market. iPad has the majority market share, but if there wasn't room for growth in the segment, why would all other major computer manufacturers be marketing and developing their own tablet PCs as opposed to say, more netbooks?

Other than that, netbooks are great for running Linux. All 0.92% of the PC market (including servers) that does anyway. 

An entry level laptop would have basically the same specs anyway.

Also yes it does those things, but it doesn't necessarily do them as well and it doesn't do them as cheap. The reason why other companies are entering the tablet market is because the apple brand made a market, I really can't see it being a market that will over take the netbook though - simply the device isn't as useful.

anyone seen this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmWnAE-SFeM

correct me if I am wrong
stop me if I am bias
I love a good civilised debate (but only if we can learn something).

9009pc said:

anyone seen this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmWnAE-SFeM

Nice! I've got to find more of those.

Rath said:

An entry level laptop would have basically the same specs anyway.

Also yes it does those things, but it doesn't necessarily do them as well and it doesn't do them as cheap. The reason why other companies are entering the tablet market is because the apple brand made a market, I really can't see it being a market that will over take the netbook though - simply the device isn't as useful.

Biggest mistake I ever made was buying a netbook. Cheap piece of junk I hated using. Horrible experience, never again.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.