By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft's vision for PC gaming

naznatips said:

It's not "using resources" it's actually sampling data. Basically, Bing isn't searching anything but Google. So, if you search something on Bing, you're just taking Google data. I think that's rather wrong. It's like if you write a report, do all the work and research, and I just recopy it with my name on it in my own handwriting. That's what Bing does to Google. It's a form of plagiarism, but again, not illegal, just not particularly moral, and frankly kinda childish and pathetic. 

Uhhh... right. You have strong feelings about this.

If it was like stealing a report than it would be illegal. So maybe that's not a great analogy.

I don't know exactly how Google gathers its information but apparently MS is free to use it. God forbid MS use great resources that are legally available to them.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
naznatips said:

It's not "using resources" it's actually sampling data. Basically, Bing isn't searching anything but Google. So, if you search something on Bing, you're just taking Google data. I think that's rather wrong. It's like if you write a report, do all the work and research, and I just recopy it with my name on it in my own handwriting. That's what Bing does to Google. It's a form of plagiarism, but again, not illegal, just not particularly moral, and frankly kinda childish and pathetic. 

If it was like stealing a report than it would be illegal. So maybe that's not a great analogy.

I don't know exactly how Google gathers its information but apparently MS is free to use it. God forbid MS use great resources that are legally available to them.

I didn't say stealing, I said copying. There's a difference, in the same way piracy is copying. You could say Bing is like a giant Google pirate lol. The reason it's not illegal is because Google's data is publicly available and useable. Google doesn't copyright search results, because, well, that would be kinda stupid. You can't copyright every-changing search results. Just because something's legal, however, doesn't make it morally justified. It's, again, really kinda pathetic that MS is so incompetent that they can't actually create their own searching algorithms. Even Yahoo doesn't piggyback on Google.

naznatips said:

I didn't say stealing, I said copying. There's a difference, in the same way piracy is copying. You could say Bing is like a giant Google pirate lol. The reason it's not illegal is because Google's data is publicly available and useable. Google doesn't copyright search results, because, well, that would be kinda stupid. You can't copyright every-changing search results. Just because something's legal, however, doesn't make it morally justified. It's, again, really kinda pathetic that MS is so incompetent that they can't actually create their own searching algorithms. Even Yahoo doesn't piggyback on Google.

Uh... Yahoo is now powered by Bing.  Bing is actually the result of a joint project between the two companies lol.

And Mr. Puggsly, I find it humorous that you post this:

I don't know why you're watching this video so deeply by the way, its just a concept.

...right after posting this:

It shows the man purchasing a game add-on via his PC. But it didn't necessarily say the add-on was for a PC game. You can buy anything in the Xbox Marketplace via Xbox.com and sends the download to your Xbox 360. A Live account is universal, its used on GFWL and XBL.

HAS to be awesome and a killer app, because I recall seeing nearly this same reaction to the Wii.

makingmusic476 said:

And Mr. Puggsly, I find it humorous that you post this:

I don't know why you're watching this video so deeply by the way, its just a concept.

...right after posting this:

It shows the man purchasing a game add-on via his PC. But it didn't necessarily say the add-on was for a PC game. You can buy anything in the Xbox Marketplace via Xbox.com and sends the download to your Xbox 360. A Live account is universal, its used on GFWL and XBL.

I'm not sure what you're saying...

I didn't have to watch the video that deeply to know you can purchase content for Xbox 360 games via a PC. I've done it quite a few times.

I did however observe the video more closely to get an idea of what you were babbling about.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

I think makingmusic just hates microsoft and wants them to fail. Reported.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

kowenicki said:
mchaza said:

well good luck to MS, they sink Millions into there games for windows live crap which they fought Pc gamers would pay for the limited service compared to xbox when there was an "Free" and "better" option in steam and fail. Then they will probably sink Millions into creating applications that bring the forced xbox stuff which i doubt many use and those who use it probably do because they are bored and its there and they are paying for it. 

Do i care: no 

Will it work: no 

What will be the end result: an tiny dent in MS wallet and an few people getting fired for suggesting such abominations,and MS repuation among pc gamers will sink to an low because PC gamers and gamers in general dont like it when things aren't the same as what they want, they dont care if that they dont want to play it, they hate it because they can. 

bing's an failure as well. Who uses bing???, Every feature bing had over google are now on google, so basically MS just helped improve google by sinking millions into an search engine. 

Bing gaining share in the US: success rate much higher than Google
March 14, 2011 BingGoogleNews 1 Comment Bas van den Beld

We keep on asking for a competitor for Google. And all of our eyes are then focussed at Bing. So far in Europe we feel kind of left behind when it comes to Bing, even though they recently started moving towards European mainland by launching in France.

If we however look at the US as an example of what lies ahead we might see some interesting developments in the future. New numbers from Hitwise tell us that in February Google lost some market share, where Bing is gaining.

Google still takes up almost 67% of all searches in the US but Bing is closing in really slowly. Bing-powered search is now on 28.48 percent while Bing.com itself accounts for 13.5%. Count Yahoo with that (15%) and you see that Bing has got quite a nice market share going in the US. We have to take into account that many of Bing’s searches are not only on the Bing website but still they are doing well.

What is interesting is that Hitwise also looked at success rates: the searches which actually resulted in a click to a website, so not a search which was performed and then done again or in a different way because the searcher didn’t find the right link to click on. Here both Bing and Yahoo score a lot better than Google. More than 81% of searches ended up in a click on these engines, while on Google “only” 65.8% ended up in a click to a website.

This could indicate that Bing’s results are better, but it can also mean that Google provides more information on the result page itself.

you got me there 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

naznatips said:
Mr Puggsly said:
naznatips said:

Maybe MS hopes it can grab a slice of search engine pie using its competitor and develop properly its own engine later... It can even work for end users and to get revenues from advertising and sponsored links, but after this sorry figure I guess Bing took at least a small hit on licence sales to third parties, who would buy a licence for an engine that works best when copying its competitor's results?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

mchaza said:
kowenicki said:
mchaza said:

well good luck to MS, they sink Millions into there games for windows live crap which they fought Pc gamers would pay for the limited service compared to xbox when there was an "Free" and "better" option in steam and fail. Then they will probably sink Millions into creating applications that bring the forced xbox stuff which i doubt many use and those who use it probably do because they are bored and its there and they are paying for it. 

Do i care: no 

Will it work: no 

What will be the end result: an tiny dent in MS wallet and an few people getting fired for suggesting such abominations,and MS repuation among pc gamers will sink to an low because PC gamers and gamers in general dont like it when things aren't the same as what they want, they dont care if that they dont want to play it, they hate it because they can. 

bing's an failure as well. Who uses bing???, Every feature bing had over google are now on google, so basically MS just helped improve google by sinking millions into an search engine. 

Bing gaining share in the US: success rate much higher than Google
March 14, 2011 BingGoogleNews 1 Comment Bas van den Beld

We keep on asking for a competitor for Google. And all of our eyes are then focussed at Bing. So far in Europe we feel kind of left behind when it comes to Bing, even though they recently started moving towards European mainland by launching in France.

If we however look at the US as an example of what lies ahead we might see some interesting developments in the future. New numbers from Hitwise tell us that in February Google lost some market share, where Bing is gaining.

Google still takes up almost 67% of all searches in the US but Bing is closing in really slowly. Bing-powered search is now on 28.48 percent while Bing.com itself accounts for 13.5%. Count Yahoo with that (15%) and you see that Bing has got quite a nice market share going in the US. We have to take into account that many of Bing’s searches are not only on the Bing website but still they are doing well.

What is interesting is that Hitwise also looked at success rates: the searches which actually resulted in a click to a website, so not a search which was performed and then done again or in a different way because the searcher didn’t find the right link to click on. Here both Bing and Yahoo score a lot better than Google. More than 81% of searches ended up in a click on these engines, while on Google “only” 65.8% ended up in a click to a website.

This could indicate that Bing’s results are better, but it can also mean that Google provides more information on the result page itself.

you got me there 

maybe i can help a bit.

microsoft used to have ~15% marketshare on searches, but after launching bing (which replaced live) their marketshare actually decreased. it might look high with the powered by bing results, but thats artificially high, it doesnt really mean its that high, they have ~13% and yahoo has ~15%

as to the amount of searches compared to amount of clicks, google offers this thing that searches as you type, so typing a sentance into googles searchbar results in multiple searches as you type. microsoft has already said they wanted to have this functionality and are working on implementing it into their search engine, and when they finish it you can expect similar clicks per search from bing also

makingmusic476 said:
kowenicki said:

Well, there's also the accusation from Google that Bing copies their search results.

An Italian forum user commented this news with this definition for Bing: "The best interface of Google after Google".   

http://punto-informatico.it/b.aspx?i=3081822&m=3082046#p3082046

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!