By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Neil Young: Sony's 'In Trouble' in the Games Hardware Market

IndustryGamers

Despite launching a year after Xbox 360, PS3 has significantly closed the global installed base. Sony as a company, has a history in hardware, unlike Microsoft. However, the dynamics of the games business are changing, and networks are becoming more important. Neil Young, ngmoco founder, believes Microsoft's ultimately in a better position for the future.

Speaking to IndustryGamers, Young discussed the impact of digital distribution, cloud technology and more on the traditional games platform holders.

"In the hardware world, I think Sony’s massively out of position. I think they’re in trouble. I think Microsoft’s in much better shape," Young asserted.

"They understand cloud computing; the Xbox Live service is a world-class service, and they’ve got a foothold in mobile, albeit a tenuous one. I think they’re in better shape," he continued, adding, "I think Nintendo always has the benefit of its franchises, but I don’t think it ends up being a really rich ecosystem for third parties."

The once standard five-year console cycle has been completely thrown off course, and exactly where the future lies in games hardware is a big question mark right now. We'll be curious to see if we all end up ultimately owning various set-top boxes as the world moves to games as services rather than boxed product.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/sonys-in-trouble-in-the-games-hardware-market/

Around the Network

Dammit, I had hopes that the singer was criticising Sony.

Well I hope Neil Young will remember, a sony man don't need him around anyhow

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Fuck that old ass hippie.

badgenome said:

Fuck that old ass hippie.

this is a different old ass hippie...I think..might be a disguise

OT: yep sony is def in trouble now...why would anyone doubt this 'experts' opinion?

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network

the future of gaming is in the hands of gamers and gamers alone not some hippie.

Shouldnt he be out hunting animals or riding his 4 wheeler?

im glad im not the only one who thought it was the singer/guitar player at first.

Check out my video game music blog:

http://games-and-guitars.synergize.co/

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

He who hesitates is lost

All three companies (Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft) have signficant risks built into their hardware strategy, but I'm not sure that this is really the main risk for Sony ...

In my opinion, Sony's greatest weakness is that they produce very unimaginative hardware that could be described as being enhanced versions of something that has come before. This makes it (fairly) easy to anticipate what Sony is going to release, and allows their competition to anticipate weaknesses in their strategy long before they announce their systems. It could be argued that Nintendo's more "unpredictable" strategy with the Nitendo DS, Wii and 3DS are in direct response to this; and Nintendo has countered more powerful hardware by producing more unique and interesting hardware.

Nsanity said:

"In the hardware world, I think Sony’s massively out of position. I think they’re in trouble. I think Microsoft’s in much better shape," Young asserted.

"They understand cloud computing; the Xbox Live service is a world-class service, and they’ve got a foothold in mobile, albeit a tenuous one. I think they’re in better shape," he continued, adding, "I think Nintendo always has the benefit of its franchises, but I don’t think it ends up being a really rich ecosystem for third parties."

The once standard five-year console cycle has been completely thrown off course, and exactly where the future lies in games hardware is a big question mark right now. We'll be curious to see if we all end up ultimately owning various set-top boxes as the world moves to games as services rather than boxed product.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/sonys-in-trouble-in-the-games-hardware-market/

Ahh so Microsoft have foothold in mobile because they sold some phones with W7P yeah I guess that's so going to annihilate NGP-PS3 combo ;)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB