By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Neil Young: Sony's 'In Trouble' in the Games Hardware Market

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Around the Network

sony is at the best position now... but it will only get better when the PS3 sells for $199 =)

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

leatherhat said:
daroamer said:
Superman4 said:

Sony is actually in a better position than before. Sony this gen put a ton of tech into the PS3 and it is paying off. 3D is the big item right now and they are the only conole that supports it. Having BD and DVD playback standard as well as Bluetooth for periferals and full 1080P support puts it ahead of the competition. The price started high and is still higher then the rest however it has done a very good job catching up to the 360 who launched a year before it. While software is an advantage to Microsoft, you need hardware to run it. Generally speaking hardware is developed first then the software is designed to utilize the hardware, not vice versa. Sony has always pushed in this aspect and if the NGP is any indicvation, they will continue to do so. We are at least 10-20 years away from consoles posibly going away and streaming our games. Internet is still far too slow, not available everywhere and with bandwidth limitations on a number of services, isn't exactly a viable option for most people. Hardware is where its at. Sony will continue to make the Playstation brand a center piece of a home entertainment system . If anything and I have said this before, Microsoft will abandon the console market and concentrate on publishing games. It would honestly be in both Microsofts and Nintendos best interest to due so considering they have no other hardware aside from a console. Sonys device has many functions outside of gaming that make it appealing and help to drive down costs for the company accross multiple divisions.

The 360 has 3D games (Avatar and Black Ops among other) as well as games that run at native 1080p

You can pretty much discount the rest of your post since you can't even get basic facts straight.

So pretentious! You should really lighten up. 

How is my response pretentious?

Also, my mood is always light.  Frequently sarcastic?  Hell yes, but always light.

I don't suffer fools though, especially when a simple google search will tell you whether you're spouting crap or not.  I respect people's opinions, but not when it's based on completely false information. 

As far as the transition of future generations, and mobile devices and cloud computing, then yes this article is correct.. Sony does need to start getting more into this "mobile future" type of mindset, whereas microsoft, apple, etc already have.

Still, none of this changes the fact that the PS3 IS THE MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE OF THE CURRENT GENERATION :)

“Absolutely, we can do much more with it. I don’t know if we are even close to 50 percent of PlayStation 3’s power at this point,” said Asmussen about God of War 3.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

jhuff394 said:

None of this changes the fact that the PS3 IS THE MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE OF THIS GEN...

As far as the transition of future generations, and mobile devices and cloud computing, then yes this article is correct.. Sony does need to start getting more into this "mobile future" type of mindset, whereas microsoft, apple, etc already have.

They are starting though, they are releasing their phone and ps suite and have far more to draw from the MS, they are going to kick MSes ass in mobile, I mean they have their ps one games to draw from, thats gold right there 

Around the Network
daroamer said:
leatherhat said:
daroamer said:
Superman4 said:

Sony is actually in a better position than before. Sony this gen put a ton of tech into the PS3 and it is paying off. 3D is the big item right now and they are the only conole that supports it. Having BD and DVD playback standard as well as Bluetooth for periferals and full 1080P support puts it ahead of the competition. The price started high and is still higher then the rest however it has done a very good job catching up to the 360 who launched a year before it. While software is an advantage to Microsoft, you need hardware to run it. Generally speaking hardware is developed first then the software is designed to utilize the hardware, not vice versa. Sony has always pushed in this aspect and if the NGP is any indicvation, they will continue to do so. We are at least 10-20 years away from consoles posibly going away and streaming our games. Internet is still far too slow, not available everywhere and with bandwidth limitations on a number of services, isn't exactly a viable option for most people. Hardware is where its at. Sony will continue to make the Playstation brand a center piece of a home entertainment system . If anything and I have said this before, Microsoft will abandon the console market and concentrate on publishing games. It would honestly be in both Microsofts and Nintendos best interest to due so considering they have no other hardware aside from a console. Sonys device has many functions outside of gaming that make it appealing and help to drive down costs for the company accross multiple divisions.

The 360 has 3D games (Avatar and Black Ops among other) as well as games that run at native 1080p

You can pretty much discount the rest of your post since you can't even get basic facts straight.

Also, my mood is always light.  Frequently sarcastic?  Hell yes, but always light.

I don't suffer fools though, especially when a simple google search will tell you whether you're spouting crap or not.  I respect people's opinions, but not when it's based on completely false information. 

The pretentious part is where you disregard the mans entire post because he didn't know about 5 1080games on xbox. Ecspecially when the rest of the post had very little to do with that. 

Also, just an fyi, saying that you aren't pretentious and that you don't suffer fools in the same post... you're sending some mixed messages. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

leatherhat said:
daroamer said:
leatherhat said:
daroamer said:
Superman4 said:

The pretentious part is where you disregard the mans entire post because he didn't know about 5 1080games on xbox. Ecspecially when the rest of the post had very little to do with that. 

Also, just an fyi, saying that you aren't pretentious and that you don't suffer fools in the same post... you're sending some mixed messages. 

He said the PS3 was the only one capable of 1080p and the only console to support 3D, then goes on to say Sony is always pushing the technology and Microsoft is going to get out of making hardware presumably because Sony has the edge on hardware?  Yet ignoring that the original Xbox was more powerful than the PS2 and was the first to incorporate a HD as standard.  I would have gone through it point by point but clearly his opinion is based on incorrect information, so why waste my time?

Just an fyi, telling someone to lighten up and then trying to insult them for using a saying you think is pretentious....is sending some mixed messages. ;)

leatherhat said:

Well I hope Neil Young will remember, a sony man don't need him around anyhow

This post wins the thread.

On a serious note: what this guy is saying is not materially different to what David Jaffe said. It's just that Jaffe didn't try to pick a winner.

Sony will most certainly make and sell whatever set top box replaces the game console as the thing you plug into your TV to play games (among other things). As Mr Young points out Sony is an electronics hardware company. They will continue to produce gaming hardware. Whether Sony decides to retain a Sony specific online service is a different matter. MS, it would seem, would retain it's online service, but if set top boxes start being manufactured by every electronics company (Samsung, LG, Phillips, Panasonic etc) then I wonder if MS would stay in the hardware game; possibly not.

I can see set top boxes going the way of mobile phones for operating systems: Apple (it's already got Apple TV, so not hard to see that moving more solidly into the gaming sphere), Google (Android/Chrome) and Microsoft.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Rath said:

Dammit, I had hopes that the singer was criticising Sony.

Me too...

I was all like... "Neil Young plays videogames?  He has an opinion on videogame sales?  Who the hell even asked Neil young this?"

...that's not what bob dylan says!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’