By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - who buys game strategies anymore

With the internet providing them free of charge who buys games strategies anymore. It susprizes me that every time i walk into an EB games there is an strategy guide for some game (what susprized me more was the last one was MOH!!! that small game called MOH). 

I was on Steam and it seems with every major release there is some stategy guide to go with it, for me its selling for 35 USD which is dam expensive considering i can get an new release PC game from the UK for that amount (Shogun 2 for example). And the one on Steam is an website access. SO again who would pay for an website when there are thousands of community guides all free for you???. 

Please explain there must be market for them to continue being made. 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Around the Network

I never bought a strategy guide.  I agree with todays internet their pretty much pointless. 

The last strategy guide i bought was the god of war 1 and 2 book for ps3... I get em for puzzle type games but other than that if im stuck or need help with trophies/achievments i look online 

The MvC3 strategy guide is written by some fighting game veterans and includes a lot of hard to get things like frame data for all moves (startup, recovery, block, etc).

the last one i got was final fantasy tactics for the ps1... loooong time ago

Around the Network

the last one i got was final fantasy tactics for the ps1... loooong time ago

I only buy them for HUGE games like fallout. I am going to get one for star ocean when i get round to playing it. That game is just too big. But i agree. Guides online do the job good enough, unless the game is fucking huge.

It's pretty pointless to buy a strategy guide as a strategy guide nowadays.  The only peoeple I know that guys them either buys them for the art or collects them.  Other than that there's not much point.

Both of the Gamestop's near us actually give us all their strategy guides that they penny out (reduce the price to a penny).  Even then I didn't bother taking any of those home, I think most get thrown away or stored in some dark place somewhere.

The only ones I have ever bought were for Pokemon Red/Blue and Gold/Silver, oh and Mario Kart SC, but that came free with the game.

So none recently

oo me me! i allways buy hintbooks iv got a huge pile of them i rarely even need to use them but i like to collect them for some reason

these are the games that i have with hintbooks

Mass effect 2

Black ops (dont ask why)

Fallout new vegas (collectors edition HB)

Sims 3 (console)

Assassins creed

Assassins creed brotherhood

Pokemon emrald

Pokemon HG/SS (both volumes)

Pokemon B W (collectors edition HB)

Oblivion (GOTY edition HB)

Zelda: TP

Super mario galaxy (collectors edition HB)

GTA: IV

GTA: S.A

Diablo 2