By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next generation predictions.

Mr Khan said:
Squilliam said:
archbrix said:

Now there I completely agree; I didn't mean to infer that the next Nintendo would perform like the Dreamcast.  That's just not in the cards no matter what happens next gen.

My point was that I don't see Nintendo releasing a system so powerful that it completely dwarfs what the current HD systems can do.  Sure, it's possible they could design a console near the capabilities of Epic's new Unreal demo, but they would either have to charge a fortune for it or sell it at a major loss, neither of which is likely.  All they'd have to do to sell millions upon millions and start out profitable would be to release a console that slightly outperforms the HD twins at a mass-market price, with a new (or far improved) hook that makes everyone want it. 

You'll be surprised how much difference an extra 0.5 / 1 / 1.5 GB of RAM would do alone when considering a comparison between the NES 6 and current generation consoles. The current generation consoles are all RAM starved and it's the easiest way to improve the look of next generation titles by raising texture resolution.

Anyway what really matters isn't the current generation graphics hardware but the next generation on the 28nm process node, how much outright performance it offers within their thermal budget, what that thermal budget is and the relative efficiency of a modern GPU at performing modern rendering techniques. A NES 6 GPU would likely be 5 generations newer than current generation consoles. R5xx, R6xx, R7xx, R8xx, R9xx, R1xxx.

That's what i've been saying: Nintendo could easily "beat" the PS360 with a Wii 2 at this point by having something with a CPU nearly identical to the 360's (IBM PowerPC-ish multicore), but having 1 GB of RAM, which at this point would be cheap and easy to provide at the bare minumum, hell it should be easy to provide a system with 360 chip specs but 2 GB of RAM at this point, seeing as how 4 seems to be the standard for any basic new PC sold this year

The RAM boost would give Sony and Microsoft a reason to upgrade without having to break the bank either for themselves or developers, and we could have an even and prosperous generation next time

I have a strong feeling that Nintendo will be using a modified version of IBM's POWER5 processor (released in 2004)  or the very least the POWER4 (released in 2001) as their next gen processor.  It should have at least 1 GB of RAM maybe even a bit more and sell somewhere between $299-$349 with a more accurate version of their WR .

Around the Network
oni-link said:
Mr Khan said:
Squilliam said:
archbrix said:

Now there I completely agree; I didn't mean to infer that the next Nintendo would perform like the Dreamcast.  That's just not in the cards no matter what happens next gen.

My point was that I don't see Nintendo releasing a system so powerful that it completely dwarfs what the current HD systems can do.  Sure, it's possible they could design a console near the capabilities of Epic's new Unreal demo, but they would either have to charge a fortune for it or sell it at a major loss, neither of which is likely.  All they'd have to do to sell millions upon millions and start out profitable would be to release a console that slightly outperforms the HD twins at a mass-market price, with a new (or far improved) hook that makes everyone want it. 

You'll be surprised how much difference an extra 0.5 / 1 / 1.5 GB of RAM would do alone when considering a comparison between the NES 6 and current generation consoles. The current generation consoles are all RAM starved and it's the easiest way to improve the look of next generation titles by raising texture resolution.

Anyway what really matters isn't the current generation graphics hardware but the next generation on the 28nm process node, how much outright performance it offers within their thermal budget, what that thermal budget is and the relative efficiency of a modern GPU at performing modern rendering techniques. A NES 6 GPU would likely be 5 generations newer than current generation consoles. R5xx, R6xx, R7xx, R8xx, R9xx, R1xxx.

That's what i've been saying: Nintendo could easily "beat" the PS360 with a Wii 2 at this point by having something with a CPU nearly identical to the 360's (IBM PowerPC-ish multicore), but having 1 GB of RAM, which at this point would be cheap and easy to provide at the bare minumum, hell it should be easy to provide a system with 360 chip specs but 2 GB of RAM at this point, seeing as how 4 seems to be the standard for any basic new PC sold this year

The RAM boost would give Sony and Microsoft a reason to upgrade without having to break the bank either for themselves or developers, and we could have an even and prosperous generation next time

I have a strong feeling that Nintendo will be using a modified version of IBM's POWER5 processor (released in 2004)  or the very least the POWER4 (released in 2001) as their next gen processor.  It should have at least 1 GB of RAM maybe even a bit more and sell somewhere between $299-$349 with a more accurate version of their WR .

I don't know what Nintendo will do from a UI perspective ...

I would expect IBM to push Nintendo to use the Power 6 (or possibly the Power 7) architecture with their next generation system (if they're still working together) because IBM will probably want the Power 4 and Power 5 architectures to be past their end of life by the time Nintendo releases their next system. As a general rule, few companies want to still support technology that is 2 (or more) generations behind what they're currently producing.

HappySqurriel said:
oni-link said:
Mr Khan said:
Squilliam said:
archbrix said:

I would expect IBM to push Nintendo to use the Power 6 (or possibly the Power 7) architecture with their next generation system (if they're still working together) because IBM will probably want the Power 4 and Power 5 architectures to be past their end of life by the time Nintendo releases their next system. As a general rule, few companies want to still support technology that is 2 (or more) generations behind what they're currently producing.

Not going to happen especially due to cost constraints. I think Nintendo would like to keep it in the low $300 range instead of a high $300-400 range. IBM supported the Gekko and Broadway both of whom were 2-3 generations behind the current one.  Don't worry the Power5 esp in it's Power5 form is still pretty current and is what Nintendo is probably looking for.  Power 7 would just be a beast and not really typical of what Nintendo has done in the past.

oni-link said:
radiantshadow92 said:

Everyone always gets it wrong and sounds stupid with these kind of things lol

why... doesn't everyone totally think Winter 2012 is ripe for a new system?

When you look at old threads man.....People didn't even think the 360 would have made it past 30 million rofl

oni-link said:
HappySqurriel said:
oni-link said:
Mr Khan said:
Squilliam said:
archbrix said:

Not going to happen especially due to cost constraints. I think Nintendo would like to keep it in the low $300 range instead of a high $300-400 range. IBM supported the Gekko and Broadway both of whom were 2-3 generations behind the current one.  Don't worry the Power5 esp in it's Power5 form is still pretty current and is what Nintendo is probably looking for.  Power 7 would just be a beast and not really typical of what Nintendo has done in the past.

Actually, IBM really didn't support the Broadway processor being that the Power 3 architecture hit end of life soon after the Wii was released and never saw a manufacturing process update. As for the cost, the Power 6 architecture is older and less expensive than the Power 3 architecture was when Nintendo released the Gamecube ...

Around the Network

well i made 2 threads last yr(in which one was a double titled thread and the othere was locked because of the double titled thread) sating i think this gen should last until 2020? (PS2 for 5 more yrs or it will be named the second coming)

some agreed while others said it wouldn't happen but if you look a the current pricing of the 2 HD consoles and the profit being brouht in by Nintendo you'd agree.

i still say Wii2 will release in 2013 (won't be called Wii2 which would be a mistake), PS4 (may not be called PS4) and next box in 2014-2015 with PS3 still vying for market share as a cheap alternative.

advanced full body motion and something else not sure wht.

for the most part sales would be even for the future lower priced consoles with no clear edge given for an unnone reason.

Mr Khan said:
Squilliam said:
archbrix said:

Man, I hope you guys are right.  Not because I want to see Microsoft or Sony fail, but because I would love to see Nintendo's next system massively up performance levels, especially after all of the flak they've taken this gen.

archbrix said:
Mr Khan said:
Squilliam said:
archbrix said:

Man, I hope you guys are right.  Not because I want to see Microsoft or Sony fail, but because I would love to see Nintendo's next system massively up performance levels, especially after all of the flak they've taken this gen.

I know if they can do what they're doing on essentially a boosted legacy platform...imagine what they can do with a next generation hardware!!!

Mr Khan said:
Squilliam said:

It all depends on Nintendo's priorities. If they go for a system with a narrow memory architecture (slow and cheap) they can't fit as much memory and if they go for a system which is restricted to the same thermal parameters as the Nintendo Wii their next system may simply be tangental to the performance of the current generation HD systems and not outright superior. Like everything it really just depends on what they think is best for their bottom line and for their end user. If they think that a tiny box is what people want, then what people will get is tiny performance.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Mr Khan said:
Squilliam said:

It all depends on Nintendo's priorities. If they go for a system with a narrow memory architecture (slow and cheap) they can't fit as much memory and if they go for a system which is restricted to the same thermal parameters as the Nintendo Wii their next system may simply be tangental to the performance of the current generation HD systems and not outright superior. Like everything it really just depends on what they think is best for their bottom line and for their end user. If they think that a tiny box is what people want, then what people will get is tiny performance.

I really think Nintendo's next console will be a huge leap compared to the current HD systems.  Especially if they use the POWER7 (a beast) as their proccessor of choice instead of the very capable POWER5 .  I for one still think of the latter but happysquirell thinks it's the former.

POWER7 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER7

POWER5:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER5