Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crysis 2 review thread

snfr said:

So I've played it for around 5 hours now (360 version)... and I'm really impressed! The lighting is definitely the most amazing part of Crysis 2's graphics, haven't seen much that even comes close to it and for me it's the best lighting I've seen in a console game. The explosions are and effects are jaw dropping as well, Crytek did a really good job here.

But it isn't perfect of course. It's framerate seems drop a little from time to time (not significant) and there are also some low-res shadows, but these things are not a big deal. The texture pop-in is its' biggest issue and sadly it seems to get worse later in the game. At the beginning I almost didn't recognize it, but in the last 30 minutes I played it was really obvious.

Anyway, Crytek has surprised me, they really created an amazing looking game on consoles.

Yeah shadows and pop-in are it's biggest flaws. I now have both versions though(yeah, I caved ), so I'll have an analysis of both when I'm done.



                                                                                                             

Around the Network
damefan said:

Well I don't know where you are at in the campaign but there are places where it looks better than others. I'm basing on an overall package of what I've played so far and I'm only a little over halfway through. There are spots where its not as impressive but there are spots where its absolutely jaw dropping. Once again if you were to say Killzone 3 looks better I can't really argue but if someone says Crysis 2 is better I can't argue either. I guess I'll say its a tie between Killzone 3 and Crysis 2 for best console graphics.

I will say one thing though. Killzone 3 probably looks better graphically as far as the multiplayer goes because there are a couple maps that look much inferior to others. Some of the MP maps look amazing (Sanctuary, Lighthouse, and a few others), but there are a couple that don't (Skyline, Pier 17 and a couple others.)

Another thing that I thought is that Killzone 3 and Killzone in general has always had amazing looking gun models but Crysis 2 somehow has surpassed them IMO. When you get farther and get some of the crazy guns you will see what I'm talking about.

Crytek is not just some company that makes a multiplat, they are Crytek. Crysis the game of which all games are compared to is made by them. Shouldn't be shocking that they amaze once again.

I concur with much of that!



                                                                                                             

damefan said:
Slimebeast said:

This sets the new bar for all future shooters to aim at. Crisis 2 minimum sales of 5 million copies on consoles is now locked.

Huge success for Crytek and Cevat Yerli.

 


Hopefully it has great sales. I haven't seen one commercial for it yet though.

Nice, I was just watching Top Shot from last night on the DVR and while I was fast forwarding through a block of commercials (DVR FTW) I noticed a Crysis commercial. Well it was actually only a 10 second spot but still. 



I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

damefan said:
jhuff394 said:
damefan said:
snfr said:

So I've played it for around 5 hours now (360 version)... and I'm really impressed! The lighting is definitely the most amazing part of Crysis 2's graphics, haven't seen much that even comes close to it and for me it's the best lighting I've seen in a console game. The explosions are and effects are jaw dropping as well, Crytek did a really good job here.

But it isn't perfect of course. It's framerate seems drop a little from time to time (not significant) and there are also some low-res shadows, but these things are not a big deal. The texture pop-in is its' biggest issue and sadly it seems to get worse later in the game. At the beginning I almost didn't recognize it, but in the last 30 minutes I played it was really obvious.

Anyway, Crytek has surprised me, they really created an amazing looking game on consoles.

I notice object pop in but not much texture pop in at all. I'm probably about as far as you in the campaign. Thanksfully the pop in usually happens in the distance so you don't notice it too much. I will say I've encountered a couple glitches though but I guess no game is perfect. I'm sure a patch or two will be released and make it run even smoother but overall super impressed. I still think it has the best graphics for any console game despite its flaws and I don't know how they fit all of this on one DVD.

dude to be fair... you must have fully played killzone 3, uncharted 2, and god of war 3.....or even Alan Wake... NOW DONT GET ME WRONG.. It looks Great! Its sitting on my HDTV right now....

But really... I'm looking at the same thing as you and I'm certainly not thinking "best console game ever" by any stretch...

I have Killzone 3, Uncharted 2, God of War 3 but have not played Alan Wake. Crysis 2 looks better than all 3 of those with Killzone 3 being very close. God of War has some terrible character models in Hera and the other females and Hephaestus (sp?) has terrible textures on him therefore taking God of War 3 out of the running. Uncharted 2 has average fire, particle effects, water effects but great textures. I did a comparison with 3 of my friends at his house between Crysis 2 and Uncharted 2 and we all agreed Crysis 2 looks better. Killzone 3 as I said is very close and it could go either way but I prefer Crysis 2's realistic look and I think its harder to get something to look realistic than it is to make a fantasy world.

yep, you didnt play them. that right there is enough to prove that



CGI-Quality said:
snfr said:

So I've played it for around 5 hours now (360 version)... and I'm really impressed! The lighting is definitely the most amazing part of Crysis 2's graphics, haven't seen much that even comes close to it and for me it's the best lighting I've seen in a console game. The explosions are and effects are jaw dropping as well, Crytek did a really good job here.

But it isn't perfect of course. It's framerate seems drop a little from time to time (not significant) and there are also some low-res shadows, but these things are not a big deal. The texture pop-in is its' biggest issue and sadly it seems to get worse later in the game. At the beginning I almost didn't recognize it, but in the last 30 minutes I played it was really obvious.

Anyway, Crytek has surprised me, they really created an amazing looking game on consoles.

Yeah shadows and pop-in are it's biggest flaws. I now have both versions though(yeah, I caved ), so I'll have an analysis of both when I'm done.

Let me know when you get to mission 15 I think it is...its night time and it looks glorious. Graphics just jumped a notch.



Around the Network
osamanobama said:
damefan said:
jhuff394 said:
damefan said:
snfr said:

So I've played it for around 5 hours now (360 version)... and I'm really impressed! The lighting is definitely the most amazing part of Crysis 2's graphics, haven't seen much that even comes close to it and for me it's the best lighting I've seen in a console game. The explosions are and effects are jaw dropping as well, Crytek did a really good job here.

But it isn't perfect of course. It's framerate seems drop a little from time to time (not significant) and there are also some low-res shadows, but these things are not a big deal. The texture pop-in is its' biggest issue and sadly it seems to get worse later in the game. At the beginning I almost didn't recognize it, but in the last 30 minutes I played it was really obvious.

Anyway, Crytek has surprised me, they really created an amazing looking game on consoles.

I notice object pop in but not much texture pop in at all. I'm probably about as far as you in the campaign. Thanksfully the pop in usually happens in the distance so you don't notice it too much. I will say I've encountered a couple glitches though but I guess no game is perfect. I'm sure a patch or two will be released and make it run even smoother but overall super impressed. I still think it has the best graphics for any console game despite its flaws and I don't know how they fit all of this on one DVD.

dude to be fair... you must have fully played killzone 3, uncharted 2, and god of war 3.....or even Alan Wake... NOW DONT GET ME WRONG.. It looks Great! Its sitting on my HDTV right now....

But really... I'm looking at the same thing as you and I'm certainly not thinking "best console game ever" by any stretch...

I have Killzone 3, Uncharted 2, God of War 3 but have not played Alan Wake. Crysis 2 looks better than all 3 of those with Killzone 3 being very close. God of War has some terrible character models in Hera and the other females and Hephaestus (sp?) has terrible textures on him therefore taking God of War 3 out of the running. Uncharted 2 has average fire, particle effects, water effects but great textures. I did a comparison with 3 of my friends at his house between Crysis 2 and Uncharted 2 and we all agreed Crysis 2 looks better. Killzone 3 as I said is very close and it could go either way but I prefer Crysis 2's realistic look and I think its harder to get something to look realistic than it is to make a fantasy world.

yep, you didnt play them. that right there is enough to prove that

I own Uncharted 2, beaten it once, started another playthrough and did a comparison two days ago. Maybe I played a section that had bad water effects but there was no ripple effect with a pixelated splash when I shot it with the AK47. The fire looked more 2D then it should have as well.

Keep playing Crysis 2 (if you really do have it) and come back and tell me I'm wrong with Crysis 2 being better after you get to the night section in the campaign. Mission 15 I think it is.



damefan said:
osamanobama said:
damefan said:
jhuff394 said:
damefan said:
snfr said:

So I've played it for around 5 hours now (360 version)... and I'm really impressed! The lighting is definitely the most amazing part of Crysis 2's graphics, haven't seen much that even comes close to it and for me it's the best lighting I've seen in a console game. The explosions are and effects are jaw dropping as well, Crytek did a really good job here.

But it isn't perfect of course. It's framerate seems drop a little from time to time (not significant) and there are also some low-res shadows, but these things are not a big deal. The texture pop-in is its' biggest issue and sadly it seems to get worse later in the game. At the beginning I almost didn't recognize it, but in the last 30 minutes I played it was really obvious.

Anyway, Crytek has surprised me, they really created an amazing looking game on consoles.

I notice object pop in but not much texture pop in at all. I'm probably about as far as you in the campaign. Thanksfully the pop in usually happens in the distance so you don't notice it too much. I will say I've encountered a couple glitches though but I guess no game is perfect. I'm sure a patch or two will be released and make it run even smoother but overall super impressed. I still think it has the best graphics for any console game despite its flaws and I don't know how they fit all of this on one DVD.

dude to be fair... you must have fully played killzone 3, uncharted 2, and god of war 3.....or even Alan Wake... NOW DONT GET ME WRONG.. It looks Great! Its sitting on my HDTV right now....

But really... I'm looking at the same thing as you and I'm certainly not thinking "best console game ever" by any stretch...

I have Killzone 3, Uncharted 2, God of War 3 but have not played Alan Wake. Crysis 2 looks better than all 3 of those with Killzone 3 being very close. God of War has some terrible character models in Hera and the other females and Hephaestus (sp?) has terrible textures on him therefore taking God of War 3 out of the running. Uncharted 2 has average fire, particle effects, water effects but great textures. I did a comparison with 3 of my friends at his house between Crysis 2 and Uncharted 2 and we all agreed Crysis 2 looks better. Killzone 3 as I said is very close and it could go either way but I prefer Crysis 2's realistic look and I think its harder to get something to look realistic than it is to make a fantasy world.

yep, you didnt play them. that right there is enough to prove that

I own Uncharted 2, beaten it once, started another playthrough and did a comparison two days ago. Maybe I played a section that had bad water effects but there was no ripple effect with a pixelated splash when I shot it with the AK47. The fire looked more 2D then it should have as well.

Keep playing Crysis 2 (if you really do have it) and come back and tell me I'm wrong with Crysis 2 being better after you get to the night section in the campaign. Mission 15 I think it is.

the "weak point" you  said about Uncharted is like me saying the lighting and water effects in crysis is bad.

its a joke, to say any of those things are bad. when uncharted came out sites like digital foundry praised the much improved fire and explosion effects, and loved the water too

i just completed the level where the easter egg is at, had to give it up to my brother, since its actually his game, hopefull he will get off soon, i want to play some more, its very fun



CGI-Quality said:
snfr said:

So I've played it for around 5 hours now (360 version)... and I'm really impressed! The lighting is definitely the most amazing part of Crysis 2's graphics, haven't seen much that even comes close to it and for me it's the best lighting I've seen in a console game. The explosions are and effects are jaw dropping as well, Crytek did a really good job here.

But it isn't perfect of course. It's framerate seems drop a little from time to time (not significant) and there are also some low-res shadows, but these things are not a big deal. The texture pop-in is its' biggest issue and sadly it seems to get worse later in the game. At the beginning I almost didn't recognize it, but in the last 30 minutes I played it was really obvious.

Anyway, Crytek has surprised me, they really created an amazing looking game on consoles.

Yeah shadows and pop-in are it's biggest flaws. I now have both versions though(yeah, I caved ), so I'll have an analysis of both when I'm done.

I'm looking forward to it



2012 - Top 3 [so far]

                                                                             #1                                       #2                                      #3

      

osamanobama said:
damefan said:
osamanobama said:
damefan said:
jhuff394 said:
damefan said:
snfr said:

So I've played it for around 5 hours now (360 version)... and I'm really impressed! The lighting is definitely the most amazing part of Crysis 2's graphics, haven't seen much that even comes close to it and for me it's the best lighting I've seen in a console game. The explosions are and effects are jaw dropping as well, Crytek did a really good job here.

But it isn't perfect of course. It's framerate seems drop a little from time to time (not significant) and there are also some low-res shadows, but these things are not a big deal. The texture pop-in is its' biggest issue and sadly it seems to get worse later in the game. At the beginning I almost didn't recognize it, but in the last 30 minutes I played it was really obvious.

Anyway, Crytek has surprised me, they really created an amazing looking game on consoles.

I notice object pop in but not much texture pop in at all. I'm probably about as far as you in the campaign. Thanksfully the pop in usually happens in the distance so you don't notice it too much. I will say I've encountered a couple glitches though but I guess no game is perfect. I'm sure a patch or two will be released and make it run even smoother but overall super impressed. I still think it has the best graphics for any console game despite its flaws and I don't know how they fit all of this on one DVD.

dude to be fair... you must have fully played killzone 3, uncharted 2, and god of war 3.....or even Alan Wake... NOW DONT GET ME WRONG.. It looks Great! Its sitting on my HDTV right now....

But really... I'm looking at the same thing as you and I'm certainly not thinking "best console game ever" by any stretch...

I have Killzone 3, Uncharted 2, God of War 3 but have not played Alan Wake. Crysis 2 looks better than all 3 of those with Killzone 3 being very close. God of War has some terrible character models in Hera and the other females and Hephaestus (sp?) has terrible textures on him therefore taking God of War 3 out of the running. Uncharted 2 has average fire, particle effects, water effects but great textures. I did a comparison with 3 of my friends at his house between Crysis 2 and Uncharted 2 and we all agreed Crysis 2 looks better. Killzone 3 as I said is very close and it could go either way but I prefer Crysis 2's realistic look and I think its harder to get something to look realistic than it is to make a fantasy world.

yep, you didnt play them. that right there is enough to prove that

I own Uncharted 2, beaten it once, started another playthrough and did a comparison two days ago. Maybe I played a section that had bad water effects but there was no ripple effect with a pixelated splash when I shot it with the AK47. The fire looked more 2D then it should have as well.

Keep playing Crysis 2 (if you really do have it) and come back and tell me I'm wrong with Crysis 2 being better after you get to the night section in the campaign. Mission 15 I think it is.

the "weak point" you  said about Uncharted is like me saying the lighting and water effects in crysis is bad.

its a joke, to say any of those things are bad. when uncharted came out sites like digital foundry praised the much improved fire and explosion effects, and loved the water too

i just completed the level where the easter egg is at, had to give it up to my brother, since its actually his game, hopefull he will get off soon, i want to play some more, its very fun

Ok but digital foundry praised Uncharted 2 in 2009. Expectations have changed. Crysis 2 has the best water effects in a game period. We'll see what you think after you finish the game. You haven't even made it to the rainy sections yet so its early.



The thing is when you play Uncharted without comparing it to anything else, you won't notice anything bad about it. Nothing is BAD, unlike some other heavy hitters.

Whereas along with this Uncharted 2 manages to have very good character models, highly detailed environments and beautiful lighting as well.

Crysis 2 has texture pop-ins and shadow problems. Killzone 2 and 3 has low res textures.

And for the last fucking time, why are you guys quoting eurogamer again? Eurogamer says it sits next to Uncharted 2 as the most detailed console game. So that makes it look better? It actually compliments Uncharted 2 as being more detailed.

Gamespot and many others have been disappointed by the graphics on console. And they definitely don't think of it as the best looking game. So now its the benchmark because of it?

Seriously talk about trying too hard. If anything looks better it should be the majority of guys calling it better. The majority don't call it as the best looking, so now logically it must obviously be the best looking console game.

But one thing is certain. This gen if anything sets the benchmark, its going to be the PS3 exclusives. "Does this game look better than KZ3??" lol the PS3 exclusives pretty much had no competition in the last 1 1/2 years when so many people were talking about how the differences are so minimal. And now they are blown away by crysis 2 that doesn't even get more than 10 mentions as the top class graphical game.

And this game is certainly not going to win any technical awards this year because it has frame-rate problems and screen tearing. KZ3 has neither. If either of these two win the award it would be KZ3.