By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to Donate 300 million Yen to the relief effort in Japan

Today Sony announced that they would be donating 300 million Yen ($3,670,000 / £2,270,000)to help the relief efforts in Japan after the 8.9 magnitude earthquake has left the country devastated. Furthermore Sony will start a disaster relief fund and will collect donations from employees worldwide. Any donations will be matched by Sony through a matching gifts program.

They will also be donating some of their tech. 30,000 Sony radios will be donated to help communications between relief workers as well as considering further donations depending on the community needs.

Sony’s Chairman, CEO and President also released this small statement:

“In times like these, we are reminded of how important and fragile we are and of the positive impact we can have – both as individuals and, collectively, as a Company – to assist those in need. We will continue to make the utmost effort to help the swift recovery of the affected communities in the region.”

Source

way to go Sony!

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network

How much is MS and Ninty donating?

Robbie2010 said:

Nintendo is donating 300 million yen as well. Don't know about MS.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

leatherhat said:
Robbie2010 said:

Japanese have Xenofobia agains Microsoft, so no reason to sent it anyway.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Beuli2 said:
leatherhat said:
Robbie2010 said:

Japanese have Xenofobia agains Microsoft, so no reason to sent it anyway.

might be a good way to get rid of it if there really is one..

but eitherway I'm glad companies are stepping up with the help :)

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network

Way to go Sony!  Everybody has to help!  :)

So far for company donations

Nintendo - 300 million yen

Sega - 200 million yen

Namco - 100 million yen

Sony - 300 million yen

"Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier." - Virginia

trasharmdsister12 said:
Chroniczaaa said:

Sega - 200 million yen

Namco - 100 million yen

Sony - 300 million yen

MS is apparently donating $2 million US based on this article: http://segmentnext.com/2011/03/14/microsoft-japan-support-relief-efforts/

I don't know the conversion rate.

Here's a little excerpt from an Engadget article that lists some contributions from Japanese companies towards the help effort:

"As a tech publication, we're obviously focused on the impact recent events will have on Japan's vast consumer electronics industry -- an industry that has responded with millions of dollars in cash, equipment and services to help with the relief effort. Thus far, Canon, Panasonic, and Sony have each pledged ¥300 million ($3.67 million) in donations. Sony is also matching employee contributions as will Mitsubishi who's donating a whopping ¥500 million ($6.1 million) in aid. On the equipment side, Sony is donating some 30,000 radios to relief efforts while Panasonic is providing 10,000 radios, 10,000 flashlights, and 500,000 batteries. NEC, Kyocera, and Epson are each donating ¥100 million in funds, computers, and telecoms and IT equipment."

The rest of the article isn't relevant to the aid effort but I'll include the source link below anyways.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/14/japanese-quake-will-likely-affect-our-supply-of-gadgets/

I think that 2mil is roughly 163mil Yen

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

Its nice to see those companies stepping up when their country needs them. 

Chroniczaaa said:

Sega - 200 million yen

Namco - 100 million yen

Sony - 300 million yen

Pathetic donation from Sony relative to other companies who are worth exponentially less. Actually I'm just ticked off with the sony sucking...I haven't checked the source, but was that stupid sony logo there in it OP?