By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to Donate 300 million Yen to the relief effort in Japan

Capulous said:
LivingMetal said:
Grimes said:
LivingMetal said:
Grimes said:

Bill Gates is one of the biggest philanthropists in the world and has given over $28 billion to charity. You can say what you want about Microsoft, but there is no denying that his share went to do some good. I wouldn't be shocked to see Gates make huge donations if needed.

A person's heart is more important than his actions.  After reading Gilgamesh's last post, this sound rather typical, and I wouldn't doubt that the intentions were for personal gain and not for the good of humankind.  Never sell out.

Yeah, I'm sure the evil mastermind is tweeting for bing in between donating $10 billion for giving vaccines that will eliminate the suffereing of millions.

I'm not ignoring the physical positive results of one's action.  But let's put it like this.  Let's say I volunteered to help paint your house with no strings attached.  I committed my time and efforts as a sacrifice in assistance to you, doing a very fine paint job.  But let's say I did the same, but my intentions were to get closer to your mother.  Even though the outside of the house looks great, you'd probably have less respect for me for doing things for the wrong self-serving reasons.  That's all I'm saying before we start blindly putting people on a pedestal.

Or maybe we can keep our bias out of this and see it for what it is. Perhaps you should stop blindly attacking and slandering him with nothing to back it up. I mean, where are you getting this stuff from?  No one is calling him a saint, but you can't deny what he has done. What have you done in comparsion to help others?

I did.  No bias, just addressing human nature.  Given my "limited" resources, I've constantly committed myself to mercy ministries with refusal of personal recognition and no compensation.  And it doesn't make me a better person when I can and have done more than some people.  Peace.

Around the Network
Grimes said:
LivingMetal said:
Grimes said:
LivingMetal said:
Grimes said:

Bill Gates is one of the biggest philanthropists in the world and has given over $28 billion to charity. You can say what you want about Microsoft, but there is no denying that his share went to do some good. I wouldn't be shocked to see Gates make huge donations if needed.

A person's heart is more important than his actions.  After reading Gilgamesh's last post, this sound rather typical, and I wouldn't doubt that the intentions were for personal gain and not for the good of humankind.  Never sell out.

Yeah, I'm sure the evil mastermind is tweeting for bing in between donating $10 billion for giving vaccines that will eliminate the suffereing of millions.

I'm not ignoring the physical positive results of one's action.  But let's put it like this.  Let's say I volunteered to help paint your house with no strings attached.  I committed my time and efforts as a sacrifice in assistance to you, doing a very fine paint job.  But let's say I did the same, but my intentions were to get closer to your mother.  Even though the outside of the house looks great, you'd probably have less respect for me for doing things for the wrong self-serving reasons.  That's all I'm saying before we start blindly putting people on a pedestal.

Worst analogy ever.

"Best " come back eva. 

But sure, let people take advantave of you as opportunists by doing things to serve their wants and desires and not for your needs.  Otherwise, they wouldn't give you the time of day.  You must feel so warm and fuzzy about yourself.

This thread went into a shit storm. I don't care what their intentions were, they just did it. End of story. 

You can all hate on or talk up any side you want.  The bottom line is that there are NO totally unselfish actions, ever.

Even if you ostensivly get nothing from doing good, you have the feelings of gladness that you have from doing the good deed.  Please don't say that you never feel happy or proud when you do something good for something/someone without expecting reward, because you are lying.  The best you can hope for is not to seem like a smug, self-righteous idiot.

Basic human nature.

ils411 said:
ElGranCabeza said:
naruball said:
ElGranCabeza said:

ALL donations are tax deductible. You can bet your sweet ass none of those companies would donate anything if that money wasn't tax deductible. Sorry, but that's the cold hard fact.

I don't think that everything in life is black or white. There's also grey. Bill Gates didn't have to donate billions of dollars just to avoid paying taxes. We don't know why he did it and I personally can only applaud him for doing so.

Bill Gates could donate 45 billion dollars and still live comfortably for the rest of his live. Of course he won't do that and I don't blame him. Most of the money he donates is tax deductible. Same thing with Warren Buffet.

yes, and how much would be reduced from tax?  would the reduction from tax be equal to the 300 million yen donated? coz thats how much tax has to be reduced for the 300m yen to be not felt by sony or any company donating. youn should just shut your yap as clearly you are just an asshole. of the many good people who died in that eartrhquake and the tsunami i wonder why assholes like you just dont drop dead already.

You have been reported. FYI, I have donated just like I donated for Haiti and the Indonesia Tsunami, but you have to be extremely gullible if you think these companies are donating because they are "good" companies. 1) It helps their taxes, 2) It makes them look good. Business only look out for themselves.

Around the Network

Make. Believe. Sony is my hero.

<a href="http://b0c40pmhv4t-qfuimlmmqex5q0.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=WT5K3KF3" target="_top">Click Here!</a>

Crazymann said:

You can all hate on or talk up any side you want.  The bottom line is that there are NO totally unselfish actions, ever.

Even if you ostensivly get nothing from doing good, you have the feelings of gladness that you have from doing the good deed.  Please don't say that you never feel happy or proud when you do something good for something/someone without expecting reward, because you are lying.  The best you can hope for is not to seem like a smug, self-righteous idiot.

Basic human nature.

I've seen that logic before and it's the most idiotic ever. Unless you gain something material from it, it ain't selfish. There's a clear cut difference between a million dollars and the warm glowing feeling in your heart and you're just being cynical if you refuse to acknowledge it.

Not that I disagree with what you were initially saying. It's rather disappointing that Sony gets more praise for suing a hacker for a million bucks than it does for making a charitable donation.

Regardless of random ulterior motives, good job, Sony.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Crazymann said:

Basic human nature.

Thank you.  This helps keep us humble in our actions for the needs of our fellow man rather than the glorification of ourselves.

Chroniczaaa said:

So far for company donations

Nintendo - 300 million yen

Sega - 200 million yen

Namco - 100 million yen

Sony - 300 million yen

WOW @ SEGA's donation compared to Nintendo/SONY in relative terms.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

This is good news, good to see all companies helping out.