By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - new Lair pics/vido/info relese date

"Have patience for even better games while enjoying the great ones already." Do I need to say it any different way for you?"

So... have patience that Nintendo will get their online going. Door swings both ways...

a) I am not focused on all of these comments, you are. All I have been saying is that Sony is not the only one, so why are YOU the one that is so focused ONLY on Sony's comments?

b) read a

c) read b

d) ok, they hyped more, what is the end result of that? Why does that matter now?

I dunno - it just seemed that you get upset because I don't think Lair lives up to the PS3 hype? (for your information, I don't think GoW lives up to the hype either).

This comes from you: "@yourmother:  I'm not sure why you feel betrayed by Sony that they hyped the graphics of the PS3.  It's clear the the cell is very powerful even if it's not showing it's advantage over the 360 yet in games."

First off, they did hype the graphics capabilities. Secondly, nobody ever said the CELL was not "very powerful". You yourself said that the graphics ton't show advantages over the 360. What did Sony say about pwning the world with their next-gen graphics that doesn't start until they say so? All I'm stating is that Lair does not live up to the hype.

... and as far as I'm concerned, that's what started it between the two of us: Me stating that the screenshot with the guys standing in armor was MEH. What's wrong with that? What, because I do frankly think that particular screenshot was nothing remarkable at all has your panties all undone?

"e) I call everyone else's BS because you have called Sony's BS over and over and over and over. Again, what does it matter now?"

And I have disagreed that Nintendo and Microsoft don't BS? Come on, I even hate Nintendo for thinking we are all quasi-pedos...

"Ok, so we are talking about sales now? I thought we were talking about the quality of games. Of course internet hype can help or hinder a console's sales. Are you trying to argue that you're not going to get a PS3 because you think this negative press (that again, not just Sony is getting, especially recently) is going to hinder the success too much? A lot of the negative hype is wrong and the success is decent despite it.  What is the point here?"

No, we are talking about whatever points you raise. It's not about sales, it's not about game quality. It's about everything you talk about. Remember, I merely stated first-off that that screenshot was nothing noteworthy at all... You are the one that started working up a sweat because I poo-pooed that PS3's screenshot (which really sucks - to whoever took it).

Just to refresh your memory:

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/780/780114/lair-20070412062410119.jpg

vs

http://img.hexus.net/v2/gaming/screenshots/x360/gears_x360_large_2.jpg

And I STILL think that the GoW SCREENSHOT is much less MEH than the Lair screenshot. Who cares what the game genres are? I'm talking about that screenshot! Additionally, that flies in the face of you guys that continue stating that "next-gen graphics are the shiznit"... well, if that is true, then GoW looks better in the above screenshot. Period. No ifs, ands or buts. Seems like the next generation of gaming started a year ago with the Xbox360, then...

"The controls are mostly a button mapped to a movement. A sword strike mapped to a waggle. If that's a lot more fun, then play it on the Wii, but the point is that most of the Wii games so far could be fun on other consoles and often are (zelda, rayman raving rabbits, wario, sports games)."

Right - like mapping the controls of Elebits and mapping the melee portion of Blackhand to buttons so that it feels even more intuitive and immersive to press buttons than.it is to throw punches... of course holding the Sixaxis vertically can simulate Tiger Woods. It would also feel so natural... riiiiiiight...

Hey, if you are waiting for the "gimmicky" Wii to arrive at your doorstep, why did you even buy it? Why not just wait patiently for the games to appear on the PS3? 

"'There are plenty of online games for the PS3. So far I've played Resistance, Motorstorm, RR7, and MK2 with no lag."

I am so happy for you. I have played 13 FPSs, Rfactor (with its hordes of add-ons and mods) and a whole boatload of assorted games online with different flavors of Xboxes, PSs and PCs this last year alone... so???'

Uhh...I was responding to you saying there weren't many online games on the PS3. There certainly are, and there are on the 360 as well. You were responding to the fact that I pointed out that Nintendo is keeping third party developers from creating online features. But congrats to you for playing all those games online. I've played many online PC games, too, and I'd like to play them on the Wii someday if Nintendo lets me."

Good for you, and I hope that you get to play games on the Wii someday - any day. BTW, when did I ever mention that the PS3 lacks online games? If I did say that, please accept my apologies, but I double-checked the posts and searched for mentions of "online" and I don't recall seeing or writing that comment... 

"If you think Resistance is just like any other FPS, then you're wrong. There are a lot of good points to RFOM and Motorstorm. If you don't like them, that's mainly your personal taste and not a reflection of the value to these hordes of people you keep citing. I did not say Oblivion was an exlusive, but it's a great game you can play on the PS3. Again, what kind of ube-exlusive do you need that's on other systems?"

There are lots of good points about some really sucky games as well. So? Besides, I don't think that RFOM is another FPS, but what it offers as a whole is not that distinctive anyhow. Besides, what's wrong with my evaluation of the games, which are my opinions? Why is it that your statement on RFOM correct and mine wrong? 

"And just in case you miss it again: "Have patience for even better games while enjoying the great ones already.""

Oh... you mean...

"there will be games that look better than both so I think you should just have some patience."

"so it's not like there is much patience required"

"Have patience for even better games while enjoying the great ones already"

Sorry, but so many references of patience had me confused... but you are right; I think that's why so many of the 110+million PS2 owners are doing - having patience until the PS3 has those "even better" games out.

"Oh, and I look forward to Lair. I'm sorry you don't."

Don't be sorry. I'm not. 

"Yeah I wish I knew why it's so important that Sony said we'd have it.  If we already do, the hype was right on.  Yay!"

Calling hype on something we have been able to do since the dawn of time is just a tad misleading when 99.9% of the population understands "4D" as "3D". Additionally, in theoretical physics, there is a marked difference between 3D and 4D, so at least for me, that difference is rather significant (and misleading to the masses).

Wait! I know now! The PS3 has outsold BY FAR all the other consoles in history combined! However, all them PS3 owners have played "b3yond" 3D and reside in 4D space - taking those patiently awaited games with them into 4D online space! No wonder here on 3D earth the sales are abysmal compared to the PS2...

Around the Network

Obviously, Sony has made a lot of mistakes with the PS3, but so have Nintendo and Microsoft. I don't think Lair's screenshots prove anything. If you want to compare a shooter screenshot to a Lair screenshot and write the game off, then go ahead.  I would suggest watching the interviews and articles posted by myself and others, but you already don't seem to care about any PS3 game.

Besides, for all we know those screenshots of GoW are cinematics, which according to you don't matter at all.  Afterall, if FF13 looks better than Toy Story or their own movie, The Spirits Within, it doesn't matter if it's just a cinematic!  I for one have enjoyed watching cinematics since Diablo 1 and FF7 if not before. 

I will say that I was not the only one that completely went off on tangents that were not at all related to the topic.  I'd say more of that was on you, but it really doesn't matter at this point.

"Obviously, Sony has made a lot of mistakes with the PS3, but so have Nintendo and Microsoft."

Good on you to recognize. 

"I don't think Lair's screenshots prove anything. If you want to compare a shooter screenshot to a Lair screenshot and write the game off, then go ahead.  I would suggest watching the interviews and articles posted by myself and others, but you already don't seem to care about any PS3 game."

Neither do I, but I hate this "OMGWTFBBQ" attitude whenever the PS3 so much as farts, while anything remotely nice on any other system is poo-pooed by the likes of the SDF. I'm not writing the game off at all (I even played Drakan once, many a moon ago), but if we are talking about the "OMG!" screen that Kwaad posted, then yes, it is about as "MEH" as it gets.

And for your reference, I do care about the PS3 and their games. Example: I am an F1 nut and you cannot imagine the disappointment I had when I found out that there wasn't going to be any rumble in a racing sim.

"Besides, for all we know those screenshots of GoW are cinematics, which according to you don't matter at all.  Afterall, if FF13 looks better than Toy Story or their own movie, The Spirits Within, it doesn't matter if it's just a cinematic!  I for one have enjoyed watching cinematics since Diablo 1 and FF7 if not before. 

I also enjoy cinematics. LOTR has great cinematics, BTW. Actually, for those cinematics I do care if they are rendered in-game or not. So, I'm still calling out Sony to deliver those "Pixar-level" graphics

And also... FF: The Spirits Within had just about the worst eyes in an otherwise fantastic animation flic, and absolutely destroyed my suspension of disbelief; that was a VERY UNCANNY VALLEY having to sit through that movie...  

"I will say that I was not the only one that completely went off on tangents that were not at all related to the topic.  I'd say more of that was on you, but it really doesn't matter at this point."

Of course you would say that. Saying you went off-tangent more than myself would place the onus on yourself...

But, since you already stated that it really doesn't matter at this point, I guess that's the last I'll hear from you about this now? 

Maybe. I need to sleep at some point. Oh, and rumble will be back. Yes, another mistake by Sony that is being corrected at least (I personally don't care because I don't think it ever added much to actual gameplay, but others such as yourself do care).

your mother said:

"Ok. Why doesn't Too Human look better than Gears of War? Why doesn't Elder Scrolls? Will Halo 3 look better?"

That's simple. You should know this too: They are different games. As with another forum post comparing fixed-screen vs sandbox games, you just can't.

"We'll see I guess. So far I'd say no."

We will see, but honestly, I don't care what looks better than the other (see above); my gripe is about how Fony touted the supposedly untouchable graphics that everyone on Earth and its closest planetary neighbors have yet to see. Pixar-level graphics... right...

"Gears of War was created to be that ridiculous looking FPS."

It's a Third Person Shooter...

"I don't think there are as many things going on in Gears of War as there will be in Lair. Maybe I'm wrong."

Maybe you're right. Who knows? I guess when it comes out we will all know.

"By your logic every game, no matter the genre or scope of the game, should look better than Gears of War."

No, not at all. I just think that certain people on these forums are very selective about what they consider good or bad, always finding the angle to bash what they don't like and glorifying what they like. And yes, myself included now, but wouldn't you like to know I don't care which console wins - I just like to make a counterpoint.

"There will be games that look better than Gears of War, but it doesn't have to be every game released. There are aspects of Motorstorm that look better, but it's a racing game with a lot of action on the screen. I think your standards don't make sense."

See above. Of course if you look at it that way, it doesn't make sense. It's like saying an RTS doesn't have the LOD of, say, a FPS. Of course not. Again, my issue is those certain people that only see the good things about their console and only the bad things about other consoles. I like to see the good and bad, but when faced with (mostly) the SDF spewing off nonsense well...

"Of course PC games will destroy anything outputted from a console. That always happens. And it costs $300 every time a new FPS game comes out to play it, too. I used to play PC games more than consoles but I got tired of upgrading my video card at least once a year to play all the most recent games."

Strange... I haven't upgraded my graphics card in over a year and I still play many of the latest games on PC... But I do agree that if you want the very latest graphics, upgrading is a bitch. Again, that's not my point. See above. You should know who I am talking about.

"And btw, just because Doom 3 looked good didn't mean Civilization 4 had to have better graphics because it was released after it. It's a different kind of game."

Sure. Right on there. Nobody is arguing that. See above.

"You're paying $200 more for free online play (in 4 years that's already even), a blu-ray player, wireless connectivity, and a higher ceiling for games. Yes, I think that we'll see PS3 games look better than 360 games at some point (maybe not multi-platform games), but Home and Littlebigplanet are also part of the equation. So yeah, I think the $200 is well spent. I can live without the 360 exclusives (Halo 3 I'd like to try because of pop culture's sake but I prefer PC FPSs), but I'd really like to play a lot of the PS3 exclusives. To each his own, but I'm not sure why you are criticizing Lair's graphics because they don't stand up to images (whether in game or not) of Gears of War."

I'll tell you when it's well-spent: When those "killer exclusive" games are out, when I know for sure Home is free and not just another way to siphon money out of my pockets by having to buy all the cool stuff Home offers (ever played Tiger Woods?), and when the graphics really live up to the hype (not generated by me, mind you, but by the very people making the "so-far-it's-nothing-but-snake-oil" console).

I seriously doubt the PS3 will be unable to overtake the 360 in graphics (it better have to if it is to live up to 1/10 of the Fony PR BS they fed to the masses), and Blu-Ray will be nice to have once there are enough movies out where I live (read: Not the US).

"Let it go?"

If you "let it go", I just might myself.

Ugh.  You yourself said you can't compare different types of games, yet you are the one that first compared a screenshot of GoW to Lair.  One is mostly in corridors and the other is a huge environment that changes from air scale to ground level scale fluidly (check out some videos).

And then you changed the topic again to saying how Sony hyped stuff, which I of course responded to because 1) it doesn't really matter in the discusion to Lair, 2) other companies promise things that don't happen, 3) there are already pixar level games that will be released this year (yes, counting cinematics), and 4) I took the bait and I perhaps should not have.  You made it into a "Lair doesn't look as good as Gears" and then admitted that different games shouldn't be compared (which I said), then had to blame Sony somehow for Lair not looking as good as you think it should.  Oh well. 

I said "maybe." 

Around the Network

Well it seems no one answered me about what type of game Lair actually is, instead all anyone wants to do is stare at pictures of it, which makes sense for a PS3 game I suppose. ;>  Is it really basically Rogue Squadron just with dragons instead of fighters?  If so that's kinda lame.

BenKenobi88 said:
If that's what 4D is supposed to be, then what's the big deal? We've been moving 3D objects in games for years.

Yeah but have you been moving them with the awesome cosmical suprem power of "THE CELL"!?!?!

**ducks** 

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

"Ugh.  You yourself said you can't compare different types of games, yet you are the one that first compared a screenshot of GoW to Lair."

Ugh. Well, that's what people do here, right? Compare?

And if you read correctly (you didn't), my gripe is with people who bash without reason anything that is not their console of choice, and only praise their console of choice.

"One is mostly in corridors and the other is a huge environment that changes from air scale to ground level scale fluidly (check out some videos)."

That's dandy. Still, that doesn't mean the screenshot in question looks bad. Simple as that. It looks bad. I'll say it again: It looks bad.

"And then you changed the topic again to saying how Sony hyped stuff, which I of course responded to because 1) it doesn't really matter in the discusion to Lair, 2) other companies promise things that don't happen, 3) there are already pixar level games that will be released this year (yes, counting cinematics), and 4) I took the bait and I perhaps should not have.  You made it into a "Lair doesn't look as good as Gears" and then admitted that different games shouldn't be compared (which I said), then had to blame Sony somehow for Lair not looking as good as you think it should.  Oh well." 

The original statement I made was "MEH". It's a comment about that particular screenshot with those three lameass-looking guys in pretty awful-looking armor.

ORIGINAL LINK:

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/780/780114/lair-20070412062410119.jpg

That is just... omg. omg omg omg!!!

MY ORIGINAL POST BASED ON THE ABOVE:

One. Big. Giant. "Meh": 

http://www.gon.se/media/gears_of_war/gears_of_war_i-org_3.jpg

http://img.hexus.net/v2/gaming/screenshots/x360/gears_x360_large_2.jpg

http://www.dailygame.net/Articles/media/screens/gearsofwar/gearsofwar_E3-2.jpg 

Same shit, different flies...

If you can't accept that, and you can't accept that I think that screenshot was nothing special, then fine. You are entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to mine.

But if you want to continue this, I will be more than happy to do so. 

"I said "maybe."

I don't say maybe. I simply won't. 

Oh, well... 

DKII said:
Well it seems no one answered me about what type of game Lair actually is, instead all anyone wants to do is stare at pictures of it, which makes sense for a PS3 game I suppose. ;> Is it really basically Rogue Squadron just with dragons instead of fighters? If so that's kinda lame.

That's sort of the impression I get. The levels remind me a lot of some of the Rogue Squadron levels (walkers on the beach, and fighting TIEs around one of the sky worlds/levels - lots of city geometry).

Sure they have added a bit more interaction (tossing people/beasts around) - but otherwise, its a pure focus on graphics.

Still - Rogue Squadron did sell *pretty* well (1m+  - was a launch title..), and the PS3 is in need of games that push the graphical hardware - so it should do ok (but I'll go on the record now, and say that this will flunk in Japan...).

On another note... saw one of the latest "tech demo" movies from Crysis. OMG. Pretty damned amazing, and a step beyond Unreal Engine 3 tech. Doubt the PS3 can handle this stuff (doubt many PC's can either...), but it makes LAIR look pretty average.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

new vids on gametrailers.