By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It's time for Nintendo to go 3rd party. Who gets what?

Wow, PS3 wins as usual. I agree with the vision of this thread :D

Around the Network
Dr.Grass said:
IxisNaugus said:

Very well written and well analysed post Pyro as Bill. But if I may balance out your OP, I'd like to give my two cents on the future of some of the other lesser Nintendo franchises, and where they should go.

I believe Star Fox should head to the X360. that system has been getting its share of shmup's and while I am aware that Star Fox is not entirely comparable to the likes of Deathsmiles and Mushihemesama, I believe the microsoft camp may appreciate what the franchise has to offer. Then again, I'm not quite sure how receptive X360 owners are of furries.

I believe Kirby also has a future on the X360. The console has a distinct lack of platformers with traditional values while the PS3 gets Littlebigplanet and Mario, and Kirby can build a fanbase there. There may even be a bit of rivalry between the PS3 Mario fans and the X360 Kirby boys. Much like the good old Halo vs Killzone arguments.

F-Zero should also head to the X360 to combat the Wipeout games on the Playstation platforms. I feel the franchise will also benefit not only the HD visuals, but also the strong online support the console has to offer. 30 player online races anyone?

I think it's only fair that Mario sports titles go multiplatform. Same goes for Super Smash Bros.

Would you say this is fair?

Bahaha. You actually agree?

I think it's a good idea! I feel this is also a very even spread, PS3 gets Mario, Zelda and Wii series of games because they would likely sell better on the PS3, while the X360 gets the lesser Nintendo games for mostly the same reasons. Plus, remember, these games are simply better off on more powerful consoles anyway, 30 player F-Zero can't be done effectively on Wii, think of all the problems, and not voice chat either, but on the X360? No problem. It's also common knowledge that JRPG's and adventure games sell better on PS3 so Zelda will be right at home with the Sony camp. It's a win/win situation for everybody.

How technical is your game?

I look at things from a very different perspective ...

At the beginning of this generation, computer hardware was at an odd point where you couldn’t build a conventional gaming console that supported advanced graphics and HD resolutions because you didn’t have the processing power available in hardware that was inexpensive enough or had low enough energy consumption/heat generation. This caused the market to go in two different directions at the same time; the HD console manufacturers bet that as people bought into HDTVs they would see the value in the HD consoles and be willing to pay more, while Nintendo bet that the slow adoption of HDTV would continue and (for most of the expected life of the Wii) HD capabilities and advanced graphics would not factor into the sales of the Wii.

In ways you could argue that both approaches taken were correct, and that both approaches taken were incorrect. Effectively, the HD console’s strategy wasn’t (particularly) effective from 2005 through 2009, while it was far more effective after that; and the Wii’s strategy from 2006 through 2009 was very effective, and after that it is seeing declining effectiveness.

Now, this doesn’t mean that Nintendo should become a third party publisher as much as it means that Nintendo should (probably) release a new system in order to switch up their strategy to become far more effective again.  In doing so there is the possibility (and I would say that it is highly likely) that Nintendo could undermine the viability of the HD consoles again. The reason for this is simple, there is the opportunity to release substantially more powerful hardware with an interesting or exciting new user interface and still release the system at a very consumer friendly price.

I realize that there will be some people who say they're entirely satisfied by what the HD console's offer, but this is a common feeling at the end of the generation which disappears when people are exposed to the capabilities of new hardware.

I still think that Nintendo played their cards right and did a good job seeing that graphical power wasn't as necesary as innovating the input method. Something that the HD twins have copied at the end of their cycles. Both Microsoft and Sony have bleed a little this generation with Nintendo coming out stronger than before.

The Wii I got looks good on my new 55" HDTV. Said TV is powerful enough and packed with features that I don't need an HTPC or media center to use it to the fullest. Sure, right now gaming in 1080p would be nice, but I can wait one or two years for the next generation while I try stuff on the PC and the trusty Wii.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Why not the other way around?, I mean, GOW, killzone, Gears of war on the 3ds/wii-2?... I would make more sense for the other companies to develop software for the leader of the gen, Am I wrong? 

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Around the Network

LMAO! I love joke threads.

IxisNaugus said:
Dr.Grass said:
IxisNaugus said:

Very well written and well analysed post Pyro as Bill. But if I may balance out your OP, I'd like to give my two cents on the future of some of the other lesser Nintendo franchises, and where they should go.

I believe Star Fox should head to the X360. that system has been getting its share of shmup's and while I am aware that Star Fox is not entirely comparable to the likes of Deathsmiles and Mushihemesama, I believe the microsoft camp may appreciate what the franchise has to offer. Then again, I'm not quite sure how receptive X360 owners are of furries.

I believe Kirby also has a future on the X360. The console has a distinct lack of platformers with traditional values while the PS3 gets Littlebigplanet and Mario, and Kirby can build a fanbase there. There may even be a bit of rivalry between the PS3 Mario fans and the X360 Kirby boys. Much like the good old Halo vs Killzone arguments.

F-Zero should also head to the X360 to combat the Wipeout games on the Playstation platforms. I feel the franchise will also benefit not only the HD visuals, but also the strong online support the console has to offer. 30 player online races anyone?

I think it's only fair that Mario sports titles go multiplatform. Same goes for Super Smash Bros.

Would you say this is fair?

Bahaha. You actually agree?

I think it's a good idea! I feel this is also a very even spread, PS3 gets Mario, Zelda and Wii series of games because they would likely sell better on the PS3, while the X360 gets the lesser Nintendo games for mostly the same reasons. Plus, remember, these games are simply better off on more powerful consoles anyway, 30 player F-Zero can't be done effectively on Wii, think of all the problems, and not voice chat either, but on the X360? No problem. It's also common knowledge that JRPG's and adventure games sell better on PS3 so Zelda will be right at home with the Sony camp. It's a win/win situation for everybody.

No its a loss for Nintendo as I wont be buying their console anymore.

Pyro as Bill said:

Just for the record, I never said Nintendo has to solely go 3rd party.

They can still make consoles and first party games if they want, I just think they should let other consoles have some killer software too.

Then why should we have exclusives in the first place? Then what attracts you to their consoles?

A consol manufacturer will never make games multiplat as it loses them their major selling point-exclusive games

Same goes for Sony and Microsoft

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

RolStoppable said:
Conegamer said:

Then why should we have exclusives in the first place? Then what attracts you to their consoles?

A consol manufacturer will never make games multiplat as it loses them their major selling point-exclusive games

Same goes for Sony and Microsoft

You are funny. Sony and Microsoft have done several multiplatform releases this generation and you imply that this is a stupid thing to do.

I mean system-sellers.

Sony won't give up GT and Ratchet and Clank, among others

Microsoft won't give up Gears and Halo (erm...), amongst others

Nintendo won't give up Mario and Zelda, among others

Because its exclusive games which decide which console you buy at the end of the day. Why buy a console and not get the games you really want?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

It would be a curse to have so much First Party behind you. It would put Third Party in the defensive and all Third Party exclusives would be heading to XBox. Also Sony is already releasing a game every month.