By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - STAR WARS EPISODE 1 : THE PHANTOM MENACE -- Feb 10 2012 -- 3D RE-RELEASE!!

STAR WARS EPISODE 1 : THE PHANTOM MENACE -- Feb 10 2012 -- 3D RE-RELEASE!!

WOHOOO!! 4 28.57%

CAN'T WAIT! 2 14.29%

GOING FOR A MIDNIGHT SHOWING! 3 21.43%

YIPPEEE!! 1 7.14%

WOOF YEAH!! 4 28.57%

Total:14
twesterm said:
darthdevidem01 said:
TruckOSaurus said:

George Lucas cashing in on the Star Wars franchise once again! What a surprise! I'll stick to watching Episodes 4-5-6 on DVD.

If George was cashing in we'd have Episode 12 by now.

Its not his fault the toys are selling.

And if you had such a big property on your hands you would cash in too, don't say you wouldn't.

Finally he has full right too, he funded almost all the films from money from his pocket, from his fortune (one of the few directors to do this, Cameron or Spieldberg haven't done this). If any director has a right to cash in, its George Lucas.

...wait, you don't think Lucas is whoring the series out for every possible penny?

Who cares?

If you enjoy the franchise, why wouldn't you want to see them in their best possible scenario... at a theater.

Its been 10 years... I'm ok with buying another theater ticket for premier viewing.

Around the Network
Burngun said:

Wow. George Lucas is literally pumping out every single dollar he possilbly can from these movies. The funny thing is that no matter how much merchandise, 3D releases and DVD re-re-releases they pump out, the original trilogy will still be 10x better than the prequels.

Disagree.

They are all great entertainment. ep3 in particular is just as good if not better, imo, than any of the originals.

Additionally, with the exception of Han's walk  around of Jabba and young anakin being in the end of ep6, I really like the updates to the originals.

haxxiy said:

Alright, so they'll fix the plotholes too? It would make it worthy a go.

It's a re-release, not a total retcon.  You can't plug a dam burst with a band-aid.

I'll watch it, but that by no means suggests that I love TPM

noname2200 said:
haxxiy said:

Alright, so they'll fix the plotholes too? It would make it worthy a go.

It's a re-release, not a total retcon.  You can't plug a dam burst with a band-aid.

And that's exactly why I said it

Around the Network

I'll go watch 3-6 in 3D, but 1 and 2 sucked IMO. 

superchunk said:
Burngun said:

Wow. George Lucas is literally pumping out every single dollar he possilbly can from these movies. The funny thing is that no matter how much merchandise, 3D releases and DVD re-re-releases they pump out, the original trilogy will still be 10x better than the prequels.

Disagree.

They are all great entertainment. ep3 in particular is just as good if not better, imo, than any of the originals.

Additionally, with the exception of Han's walk  around of Jabba and young anakin being in the end of ep6, I really like the updates to the originals.

All updates to the original movies are pointless and are there to show off special effects. Did we really need Storm Troopers on digital lizards or that intro scene for Mos Eisley?

Signature goes here!

Nope

TruckOSaurus said:
superchunk said:
Burngun said:

Disagree.

All updates to the original movies are pointless and are there to show off special effects. Did we really need Storm Troopers on digital lizards or that intro scene for Mos Eisley?

They enhanced the movie.

Made certain things simply look better, i.e. explosions and removal of smudge under Luke's speeder. The extra troopers and other animals made the scenary seem fuller and not as baren. You can argue a case for either, but I liked the additions as they seemed more natural.

superchunk said:
TruckOSaurus said:

They enhanced the movie.

Made certain things simply look better, i.e. explosions and removal of smudge under Luke's speeder. The extra troopers and other animals made the scenary seem fuller and not as baren. You can argue a case for either, but I liked the additions as they seemed more natural.

To me they are completely out of place amongst the real life background and characters. They pop out horribly. On the other hand, you're right about the enhanced explosions, light sabers and other minor things (like seeing the pilots inside the X-Wings).

Signature goes here!