By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Epic Says This Is What Next-Gen Should Look Like (Tech Demo! Pics Inside)

Epic Says This Is What Next-Gen Should Look Like (Tech Demo! Pics Inside)

Can't wait for next gen 160 34.41%

They're all bullshots 20 4.30%

I expect better graphics 100 21.51%

This can't be real time 29 6.24%

I don't want next gen 69 14.84%

See results 75 16.13%

Total:453
Slimebeast said:

Really? Let's discuss this tomorrow.

Uhh, ok :P

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

Around the Network
The Fury said:

If this is actually a game I'd presume that this footage is not real time. But I'd hope next generation it would be.

If it wasn't real time there would be no point to it, there's nothing impressive about playing back a video

Download high-res version from here:

http://udk.com/showcase-samaritan

That is just sooooo good. I'd be so happy if next gen looks like that.

Slimebeast said:

What console is this game going to be for? The New xbox (xbox 720?) or the PS4?

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

PSN ID: Ferrari_1996

Ferrari_7861 said:
Slimebeast said:

What console is this game going to be for? The New xbox (xbox 720?) or the PS4?

Both most likely.

Around the Network
Jdevil3 said:
Slimebeast said:
Jdevil3 said:

?v=1m7T5ay_8DI

Damn, we still haven't seen a game with better graphics than that tech demo from 2004.

I've seen more impressive stuff than that tech demo in console games...

Maybe the map textures are less detailed but that's it (I think?).

Can you name those games please? Because not even Uncharted 2 is as detailed as that first part of the demo.

Slimebeast said:
Jdevil3 said:

Can you name those games please? Because not even Uncharted 2 is as detailed as that first part of the demo.

When I said "I've seen more impressive stuff than that tech demo in console games..." I was thinking of stuff like the particle effects on Killzone 2 and 3 which wasn't even shown in the tech demo. Big open world games with the level of destruction of Infamous 2. Moving environments like in God of War III. I've also seen better lightning than when the lamp floating around the hallway is shown in the tech demo in actual games. I think we've also seen a hell of a lot of those enemies in Gears of War 2 at the same time which is more impressive than just seeing 2 or 3 in a tech demo. We've also seen better animations than the ones shown in the tech demo. We've also seen the objects physics in actual games that were also shown in the tech demo, etc.

When I said "Maybe the map textures are less detailed but that's it (I think?)." I was talking about the map textures in console games being less datailed than in the tech demo (I believe you're saying the same thing).

Jdevil3 said:
Slimebeast said:
Jdevil3 said:

When I said "I've seen more impressive stuff than that tech demo in console games..." I was thinking of stuff like the particle effects on Killzone 2 and 3 which wasn't even shown in the tech demo. Big open world games with the level of destruction of Infamous 2. Moving environments like in God of War III. I've also seen better lightning than when the lamp floating around the hallway is shown in the tech demo in actual games. I think we've also seen a hell of a lot of those enemies in Gears of War 2 at the same time which is more impressive than just seeing 2 or 3 in a tech demo. We've also seen better animations than the ones shown in the tech demo. We've also seen the objects physics in actual games that were also shown in the tech demo, etc.

When I said "Maybe the map textures are less detailed but that's it (I think?)." I was talking about the map textures in console games being less datailed than in the tech demo (I believe you're saying the same thing).

Not just texture detail but poly count is higher too.

And that enemy is better looking than anything in current games.

Slimebeast said:
Jdevil3 said:
Slimebeast said:
Jdevil3 said:

I have no idea what the poly count is in current games. I just found this saying Uncharted 2 uses 80.000 polygons for 1 character... the guy in the tech demo mentioned the dragon having 75.000 for the low resolution mesh (my english sucks, I don't even know if mesh is a real word xD). The high resolution "mesh" (?) is 2 million though :P. He also mentioned the environment in the beginning having 1.000.000 polygons in total game assets... but I don't know how many polygons current gen games show in the environment so I don't know if it's higher or lower. He also mentioned something about having a low res and a high res version of the assets and using normal maps to give the impression they're showing the high poly counter part instead of the low res version. I don't know if the dragon is doing that too, giving the impression it's showing the 2.000.000 poly version instead of the 75.000 one. Maybe it's just showing the 75.000 polygons version in real time but uses normal maps to make it look like it was actually the 2.000.000 one. And I don't know if Uncharted 2 does the same and the 80.000 one is the low res version.

Kratos is "better looking" than that dragon :P I don't know if it's technically better though.

EDIT: forgot to give you the link

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/5942.html

Jdevil3 said:
Slimebeast said:
Jdevil3 said:
Slimebeast said:
Jdevil3 said:

I have no idea what the poly count is in current games. I just found this saying Uncharted 2 uses 80.000 polygons for 1 character... the guy in the tech demo mentioned the dragon having 75.000 for the low resolution mesh (my english sucks, I don't even know if mesh is a real word xD). The high resolution "mesh" (?) is 2 million though :P. He also mentioned the environment in the beginning having 1.000.000 polygons in total game assets... but I don't know how many polygons current gen games show in the environment so I don't know if it's higher or lower. He also mentioned something about having a low res and a high res version of the assets and using normal maps to give the impression they're showing the high poly counter part instead of the low res version. I don't know if the dragon is doing that too, giving the impression it's showing the 2.000.000 poly version instead of the 75.000 one. Maybe it's just showing the 75.000 polygons version in real time but uses normal maps to make it look like it was actually the 2.000.000 one. And I don't know if Uncharted 2 does the same and the 80.000 one is the low res version.

Kratos is "better looking" than that dragon :P I don't know if it's technically better though.

EDIT: forgot to give you the link

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/5942.html

Yeah you see, much higher poly counts. Probably some other effects are better too. Some are, some aren't.

Yes that Kratos looks good but in my God of War 3 he only looks that good in cut-scenes. In the real game he isn't an impressive character model at all.