By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Dragon Age II producer says "there is a place" for Move in RPGs

Dragon Age II producer says "there is a place" for Move in RPGs

Posted March 2nd, 2011 at 00:56 EDT by Adam Dolge

The PlayStation Move motion controller is not a far fetch for RPGs, according to BioWare’s Mike Laidlaw, executive producer for Dragon Age II. He said in an interview today that “I think there is a place for it, but I haven’t figured out exactly where that is.” 

“Given the complexity of interactions that party based RPGs demand, Kinect or Move wouldn’t be ideal as your only interface,” he said. Still, he said, he can imagine using motion controls for different functions, like perhaps casting or arranging spells. He’d also like to see voice what could be done with voice activated controls in RPGs. 

“Immersion is what gaming is all about,” he said, adding that Move and Kinect help draw players deeper into the physical gaming experience. “Exactly how to do that is what we are considering.” 

The technology was available for BioWare to incorporate Move into Dragon Age II, but Laidlaw said the developer was focused on other areas. “When developing you have to make choices to where you put your effort,” he said. “We were doing enough work changing elements of combat and storytelling, Move and Kinect would just be too much to chew on.”

http://www.psu.com/Dragon-Age-II-producer-says-there-is-a-place-for-Move-in-RPGs--a010847-p0.php

Around the Network

I would never use the Move for a Dragon Age game.

If they implemented Move gimmicks in a Dragon Age type game, I'd never buy a Bioware title again in my life. They have fallen far enough as it is. Something like Move really has no place in a game like this.

Mummelmann said:

If they implemented Move gimmicks in a Dragon Age type game, I'd never buy a Bioware title again in my life. They have fallen far enough as it is. Something like Move really has no place in a game like this.

They could implement it like a mouse in PC version of dragon Age....would you still lose faith in them if they do that?

I wanted them to implement move because RUSE does it really well, and a srpg like DA could have benefited from it.

^I could see it that way, but I can just imagine them making you flick it to cast spells or attacking which I don't want Dragon Age to be lol.

Around the Network
AdventWolf said:

then your silly quite a few people has played on gladiators on sports champions and just imagine sword control like that in any rpg seriously!!!

as for kinect yes only using it as a slow way of arranging your spells would be appropriate

They could have standard PC gameplay if they implemented move as a mouse. Not perfect, but much better than a controller. I approve.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

AdventWolf said:

Trust me you would. Done good, the Move behaves not differently from a Mouse (a 3d mouse if necessary). There, you get a mix of PC and Console gameplay (as we saw a couple of times on Wii). There, you get a better gaming experience.

“I think there is a place for it, but I haven’t figured out exactly where that is.”

Playstation Move is good for role play if you are into that stuff, and this guy is clearly not into it.

The Move will remain a "gimmick" lest people start being more open-minded and recognize it for what it's supposed to be. But honestly, I can't image DA taking full advantage of Move given its combat design. As pointed out, it would probably end up as a mouse-type of control (which is useful, do not misinterpret me).