By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LG gets injunction against PS3 sales in Europe!?

kowenicki said:
psrock said:
kowenicki said:
psrock said:
kowenicki said:
Carl2291 said:
chocoloco said:

I hope there is a war between North and South Koreans now and that LG gets bombed out of existance.

Harsh... Very harsh.

Harsh... what? hoping millions die in a war because Sony were (allegedly) light fingered on the IP of another company.... Very measured response I thought.   

Jesus.   

I am still waiting for all those people that applauded the EU for stopping MS bundling IE to come in and defend this decision too....  I might be waiting a while I think.

Very different cases though, but expected post from you.

and an expected response from you.

very different indeed: 

One was a company bundling free software with its OS, the other is a company (allegedly) stealing intellectual property from a rival....   (I actually doubt this will stick tbh but I cant believe some of the responses in here)

Bundling or forcing people to use their crappy browser. And something needed to be done about it. I wish we can stop them from shoving bing in our faces as well. 

forcing?  crappy browser? shoving bing in our faces?   you seem angry...

You don't know much I hate IE, hate it with a passion. when i get a new pc the first thing i always do is get firefox. You had to bring it up. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

No problem, Sony stuffed the channels for two years now: there are years of ps3 supply in teh OVERSTUFED CHANNELZ!!!!!!

What, 2/3 weeks? In the biggest market for Sony? Come on...

One must enforce a patent as soon as there is a possible infringement, if you don't enforce your patent then the patent is void. PS3 was on the market for almost 5 years, so, if they filed their complaint this year, they risk to lose their patents.

BTW this is a counter-suit to a suit filed by Sony, to block the import of LG Smartphones (including the WP7 ones).

heruamon said:
kowenicki said:
psrock said:
kowenicki said:
psrock said:
kowenicki said:
Carl2291 said:
chocoloco said:

I hope there is a war between North and South Koreans now and that LG gets bombed out of existance.

Harsh... Very harsh.

Harsh... what? hoping millions die in a war because Sony were (allegedly) light fingered on the IP of another company.... Very measured response I thought.   

Jesus.   

I am still waiting for all those people that applauded the EU for stopping MS bundling IE to come in and defend this decision too....  I might be waiting a while I think.

very different indeed: 

One was a company bundling free software with its OS, the other is a company (allegedly) stealing intellectual property from a rival....   (I actually doubt this will stick tbh but I cant believe some of the responses in here)

Bundling or forcing people to use their crappy browser. And something needed to be done about it. I wish we can stop them from shoving bing in our faces as well. 

I was thinking the same think...and OH...I'm sure he is VERY angry...WW Hulk angry...lol.

PS3 was all set to "DOMINATE" in 2011, now it looks like we possibly won't see a price cut...oh-oh!?!?

I am betting the world you care more about PS3 sales than I do. Look at this thread, look who has posted, just the idea of PS3 sales stopping brings in some interesting people. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

I highly doubt is going to go anywhere.  Most likely Sony and LG will settle out of court, with little to no money involved.  The biggest thing that will probably happen is that Sony will agree to drop its lawsuit it has against LG.  Though, it probably will hurt sales in about a week when stores run out of their stock.  Unless of course this gets settled much quicker.

The one thing I hate about these patents is companies can just get a shit load of them, most of them not being very specific, and sue other companies who even come out with tech similar to their patent.  Hell, they don't even have to prove they are really working on the tech, just have to patent the idea. 

Xen said:
fordy said:
Xen said:
fordy said:
Xen said:
irstupid said:
dsage01 said:

sony's a way bigger company than lg either this is fake or if this is true sony's gonna get them back hard!!

if we see a decline in weekly sales i will belive you

sony sued first, so isn't it more like LG is hitting back hard?

lg is a great company that makes great products, also is second largest tv manufacturs in the world, and if i'm not wrong i believe lg had more profits in their division than sony this year.

Their TV's are inferior to Sony's and one of their CD drives thrashed a disc of mine. Not to mention the fact that Sony NEC drives exceed theirs in quality by leaps and margins.

If you want great and very affordable products, buy Samsung/Sharp.

That's interesting, considering Sony is using LCD panels produced by LG:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-01-06/lg-display-resumes-lcd-panel-supplies-for-sony-tvs.html

Given that the article is dated January 6th 2011, I now expect cheaper and shittier Sony TV's. And the Bravia in our living room was purchased mid 2010, so it's untouched.

Recommended TV's are usually Panasonic/Samsung/Sony/Sharp. Not without a reason.

Must be good enough for Sony if they decide to use them, right?

Besides, Samsung has been supplying the larger LCDs to Sony, since Sony refused to follow the rest of the market into flat panel screens, stubbornly hanging on to their Trinitron CRTs. So, why not just get a Samsung?  They designed the panel, so probably have more knowledge of it's limitations. And for MUCH cheaper price than Sony, to boot.

Good enough =/= as good as others.

And Samsung TV's are a good choice (albeit not THAT much cheaper than Sony's)... Sony's screens are  acually theirs - developed in a joint venture with Samsung.

Are we talking about the S-LCDs here? Seems as though Samsung is the primary shareholder in that one (50% 1 share), and calls the shots. Doesn't mean Samsung cannot use them in their own TVs as much as Sony.

Maybe it's just this region, but Sony TVs have generally been A$500 to A$700 more than the two largest, and quite frankly, there is not enough difference in quality to justify that extra expense.

Around the Network

Bundling software should be fine (as long as we are allowed to use other ones and make other ones default), unless they are malwares of viruses.

IE being bundled isn't such a bad thing at all, what do win 7 users get as a browser now? Firefox?

Or do they have to install it themselves?

heruamon said:
kowenicki said:

I was thinking the same think...and OH...I'm sure he is VERY angry...WW Hulk angry...lol.

PS3 was all set to "DOMINATE" in 2011, now it looks like we possibly won't see a price cut...oh-oh!?!?

ugh lol? what dream world are you living in? How many assumptions can one jump to so fast...and ww hulk angry? LOL

anywho guys, it's just 10 days, these type of things will get settled soon enough. Sony fans are getting enough great core exclusives these days to keep us happy and occupied, I'm sure those who wanted to buy a ps3 during the time it's not available will most probably can stick around for a week or so.

Sony has treated the fanbase well with their games, so I hope they do fine and I'm sure they will.

and kowen stop derailing this thread would ya? You brought in something so irrelavant into this. Do you like wait for threads like this to bring in nonsense like this or something? Geez it's not even remotely related

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

psrock said:
heruamon said:
kowenicki said:

I am betting the world you care more about PS3 sales than I do. Look at this thread, look who has posted, just the idea of PS3 sales stopping brings in some interesting people. 

You're a fine one to talk :-S and PS3 sales won't stop. You meant the possibility. It's so small though it's not really worth discussing. How much Sony have to pay out will be interesting, it'll have a massive knock on effect. They might not cut the price, completely changes forecasts ... again, possibility. May even impact decisions MS and Nintendo make. If this does all go ahead, and is clear of the reason why PS3 doesn't drop price this xmas, 360 and Wii might only drop $50 vs something bigger if Sony would have cut.

IF LG ask for royalties, then that makes the PS3 less profitable for Sony. Wish we knew all the figures ..

Acevil said:
Seece said:

You're right, it's a different case, the MS one was more stupid, they didn't actually take anything from anyone in the first place.

I'm usually on the side of court decisions, but even I agree that one was beyond unnecessary. It would be like if Nintendo got in trouble for putting wii sports with every wii.

Don't give ideas...

psrock said:
heruamon said:
kowenicki said:
psrock said:
kowenicki said:
psrock said:
kowenicki said:
Carl2291 said:
chocoloco said:

Harsh... Very harsh.

Jesus.   

very different indeed: 

Yeah...when this case was first announced, I remembered quite a few people on these boards saying it wouldn't amount to anything...Got Valium?

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder