By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NFS: Shift 2 Unleashed - The most realistic racer to date?

Parasitic said:

Shift was amazing because of the immersion level. While GT5 is very realistic when it comes to the actual cars, it fails to capture the intensity and overall fierceness of racing and driving stupidly fast beasts. I can't help but notice that if you're not using the cockpit view, the game feels horribly calm because of the lack of additional camera/sound effects.

Hopefully the ps3 version will be a little more equal to the 360 version this time around. I didn't buy the first because GT5 was on it's way but definitely buying this one!

Good man parasitic and I agree 100% with this statement, Shift was actually the first racing game I actually stayed in cockpit view cause it felt natural and fun, if I start playing games like GT I end up zooming out cause it's easier to race like that, but with Shift the feeling of intense speeds and wrecks was all there and I never wanted to zoom out while playing.  I'm looking forward to this one and yes I agree I hope the PS3 version is up par with the 360 game.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network
zuvuyeay said:

is shift a racing sim then and not an arcade racer

It focuses on being real, but with some arcadey controls. But you can turn up the difficulty and play it as a full on sim.

Graphically this game just took a giant crap on GT5 and Forza 3 IF that is truly in game footage.

Looks interesting. I hope they don't make it so realistic that it becomes annoying though i.e. the "helmet cam" where it makes the screen shake and stuff like that. Sometimes those types of things look great on the drawing board and pass the quality control but become really annoying for the average gamer. 

It really looks promising.

Around the Network
MaxwellGT2000 said:

Good man parasitic and I agree 100% with this statement, Shift was actually the first racing game I actually stayed in cockpit view cause it felt natural and fun, if I start playing games like GT I end up zooming out cause it's easier to race like that, but with Shift the feeling of intense speeds and wrecks was all there and I never wanted to zoom out while playing.  I'm looking forward to this one and yes I agree I hope the PS3 version is up par with the 360 game.

For you you mean no? As far as I know, in the GT Academy competitions most best times are obtained driving from in cocpit view which means it's easier to obtain those times from that view, which means is easier to race like that. 

Edit: Also, shaking and vision blurr appeares when driving a fast car fast in a sim if you are using a decent FFB Wheel as it will shake the hell out of you. 

It feels like these Shift guys go for driver simulation rather than car simulation. It detracts from driving the car, since you instead have to cope with driving the car via the driver simulator interafce...

Edit2: correcting what I screwed up in edit 1.

i really liked the first one so i may just get this one but i gotta get hot pursuit first.

Looks great! I hope they put some interesting tracks or game modes because I get bored with racing games after a while.

Also I'm looking forward for Grid 2, I loved the first one!

Need for Speed: Shift was a really good first try. I look forward to what they can do.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

ithis said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:

For you you mean no? As far as I know, in the GT Academy competitions most best times are obtained driving from in cocpit view which means it's easier to obtain those times from that view, which means is easier to race like that. 

Edit: Also, shaking and vision blurr appeares when driving a fast car fast in a sim if you are using a decent FFB Wheel as it will shake the hell out of you. 

It feels like these Shift guys go for driver simulation rather than car simulation. It detracts from driving the car, since you instead have to cope with driving the car via the driver simulator interafce...

Edit2: correcting what I screwed up in edit 1.

Well isn't a simulator supposed to simulate the feeling of driving? So the next logical step is give off the feeling of being in the drivers seat?  To simulate driving and want to get people really immersed into the game you need the realistic cars, physics, and feeling. GT has been lacking a lot of that for a while, hell people got excited when damage was announced, but there's been car games since the PS1 era that had car damage and it affected your driving... 

Anyway Shift does an amazing job with the driving, pleasing fans of sims while being welcoming to those that don't entirely get into sims, then it gives you sense of speed and being in the car unlike any racer out there.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000