By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Just Dance. WTH Happened???

I mean, reveiwers hated it, and they are sooooooo reliable when it comes to both Wii games and judging party games fairly. Plus not a single PS3 or 360 game has sold well with mediocre reviews.

"What about Alien Vs Pred--" NOT ONE GAME!

And of course this was released when the "casual bubble" was finally bursting, but not only did it survive that, the sequel isn't getting diminishing returns.

How could this have happened? How could a game about just goofing around with friends and family have such appeal? It's not fun. Fun is in topping online leaderboards, and wowing us with graphics, and b-grade mature stories.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Maybe because reviews has no effect on Wii games sales at all. How many of the 5 million people who bought acually read a review for it?

To be fair PS3 fans cares more about reviews than any other fans. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

It sold a lot is what happened...lol.  I personally haven't played them but it looked like fun on the youtube videos :).

haha nice topic.. The problem with most mainstream game reviewers out there is that they mistakenly equate a good game to mean it must be art, rather than fun. Since Just Dance is not art, they mark it down, regardless of how fun it is.

Many hardcore gamers are guilty of this mistake as well.

psrock said:

Maybe because reviews has no effect on Wii games sales at all. How many of the 5 million people who bought acually read a review for it?

To be fair PS3 fans cares more about reviews than any other fans. 

Caring to the point they even whine about praising reviews (which they've actually done to reviews that gave Killzone 3 and Gran Turismo 5 perfect reviews)... that is so weird.

BTW, the OP wasn't meant to be serious, but I'm being serious now. I don't think reviews are that much effective even on the other systems. Looking at the content, it seems reviewers like games for reasons you don't see at all in the marketing, or most user reviews. So when a game sells and reviews well, I don't think they are for the same reasons, hence no real influence.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Around the Network

iseewhatyoudidthere.jpg

You know your doing good when your getting parodied!!! Bravo sir, Bravo!!! Really. For a serious answer i think that game is just way more accesible. Kind of like COD, you can play for about 45 mins and level up and thats if you suck, it makes people feel like a badass and that could be addicting. Just Dance makes some people feel like they can dance even though the accuracy of the whole thing is questionable at best. But WTH, the sequel is supposedly a vast improvement over the original, so as long as they are actually trying to give quality, I dont care how much of these they make as long as it gets better. and the music selection is decent

@psrock  hell yeah we care about reviews, im supposed to drop $60 bucks on a game with cool boxart???

oniyide said:

@psrock  hell yeah we care about reviews, im supposed to drop $60 bucks on a game with cool boxart???

Well demos should help. I've been convinced by a few of the WiiWare demos I downloaded.

Also, we got the second game, and it is really fun, like We Cheer. Makes me want to see what some of the Kinect dance games can do as well.

oniyide said:

The Just Dance games are only $40, just to let you know :).