By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Succesor and Future Will Use Physical Media

Resident_Hazard said:

This doesn't change my view that Nintendo always takes bizarre, sometimes awkward steps backward (seriously, still a single-input touch screen??), but I'm really looking forward to the 3DS.  

Read this thread about resistive screens, it can detect two pressure points and like stated in the thread it has been used in some games already like:

Hotel Dusk - flick two switches at the same time
Master of Illusion - the love tester knows when you are pressing either side
Taiko no Tatsujin DS - two hits count as a big one

Don't know if more have been added into this list, but I was quite impressed when I found out about it.

About the SSD: we've been discussing the advantages of the technology throughout the thread. Next-gen could still go for this media while adding an optional optical drive for backwards compatibility. All my recent computers have been driveless and I want a noiseless console next.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
Ninten78 said:

Discs Are here to stay!http://www.product-reviews.net/2011/02/21/nintendo-confirm-wii-2-and-others-will-use-physical-media/

please ask nintendo again after wii2 that could be 10 years from now... there is no way they can predict

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

kowenicki said:

Wwhy is gaming different to every other media?

I have a central media server linked to my network feeding my home.

On this I have music, pictures and movies.....

Why cant my games go there?

they will for the fact that nintendo is saying they wont is absurd, they dont know. Unless they mean physical meaning usb sticks or hdd related then I agree but it is still digital.

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

TomaTito said:
Resident_Hazard said:

This doesn't change my view that Nintendo always takes bizarre, sometimes awkward steps backward (seriously, still a single-input touch screen??), but I'm really looking forward to the 3DS.  

Read this thread about resistive screens, it can detect two pressure points and like stated in the thread it has been used in some games already like:

Don't know if more have been added into this list, but I was quite impressed when I found out about it.

About the SSD: we've been discussing the advantages of the technology throughout the thread. Next-gen could still go for this media while adding an optional optical drive for backwards compatibility. All my recent computers have been driveless and I want a noiseless console next.

I thought about having a machine that reads two inputs, a SD-like "Neo Hu-Card" as well as optical disk media. Very, very few game consoles have ever had two input methods like that (I'm not counting the DSi or Wii, because the SD slots aren't used as secondary game slots, but general storage space).  Looking at my game systems, the only one I have with two inputs in the old Sega Master System which could take the Master System cartridges and has a slot for TurboGrafx-like Hu-Cards.  The later version of the Master System dropped the card slot.  

The thing about the DS screen that you listed--are these specific qualities of the screen itself, or a way the developer worked an input glitch successfully into a game?  The basic, common "knowledge" (so to speak) is that the DS and 3DS feature single-input touch screens, which I believe is what Nintendo also stated.  If the screens were designed for multi-touch inputs, I think it would be more commonly known.  Advertised, even.  Oh, I just checked the thread you linked, it isn't exactly a glitch, but just "averages" the two inputs, which means it isn't true dual-touch input.

Resident_Hazard said:

Looking at my game systems, the only one I have with two inputs in the old Sega Master System which could take the Master System cartridges and has a slot for TurboGrafx-like Hu-Cards.  The later version of the Master System dropped the card slot.  

Outside the original Mark III/Master System, the only one I can think of is the Saturn, which had both a CD-ROM drive and a cartridge slot.  Of course, no games were ever released only on cart, it was mainly used for memory units and RAM upgrades (and originally intended for MD backwards compatibility, though that got scrapped).  At least one game (KOF 95) had a dual media release though, using both CD and cart in tandem.

Gaming oriented computer formats like MSX or the earlier SG-3000 often had various media inputs though (game cards, game carts, floppies, etc). There were also combined platform units for consoles released though, like the Turbo Duo, Twin Famicom, X'Eye or Genesis CDX.  Originally Nintendo also wanted to put two DS card slots in the DSi, though they decided against it due to the added footprint.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
Resident_Hazard said:

Looking at my game systems, the only one I have with two inputs in the old Sega Master System which could take the Master System cartridges and has a slot for TurboGrafx-like Hu-Cards.  The later version of the Master System dropped the card slot.  

Outside the original Mark III/Master System, the only one I can think of is the Saturn, which had both a CD-ROM drive and a cartridge slot.  Of course, no games were ever released only on cart, it was mainly used for memory units and RAM upgrades (and originally intended for MD backwards compatibility, though that got scrapped).  At least one game (KOF 95) had a dual media release though, using both CD and cart in tandem.

Gaming oriented computer formats like MSX or the earlier SG-3000 often had various media inputs though (game cards, game carts, floppies, etc). There were also combined platform units for consoles released though, like the Turbo Duo, Twin Famicom, X'Eye or Genesis CDX.  Originally Nintendo also wanted to put two DS card slots in the DSi, though they decided against it due to the added footprint.

Yeah, the reason I didn't mention the Saturn was because the cartridge slot was only used as a kind of memory card port and RAM expansion.  And I didn't count the combined units because the Sega-CD and Turbo Duo and the like were essentially add-ons, not secondary ports included in the machine.  The SNES and GameCube, in a sense, had secondary gaming inputs with the Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player, respectively.  

The only actual console out of my 30-odd systems with two ports, both intended for different game mediums is the Master System.  

Resident_Hazard said:
TomaTito said:
Resident_Hazard said:

I thought about having a machine that reads two inputs, a SD-like "Neo Hu-Card" as well as optical disk media. Very, very few game consoles have ever had two input methods like that (I'm not counting the DSi or Wii, because the SD slots aren't used as secondary game slots, but general storage space).  Looking at my game systems, the only one I have with two inputs in the old Sega Master System which could take the Master System cartridges and has a slot for TurboGrafx-like Hu-Cards.  The later version of the Master System dropped the card slot.  

The thing about the DS screen that you listed--are these specific qualities of the screen itself, or a way the developer worked an input glitch successfully into a game?  The basic, common "knowledge" (so to speak) is that the DS and 3DS feature single-input touch screens, which I believe is what Nintendo also stated.  If the screens were designed for multi-touch inputs, I think it would be more commonly known.  Advertised, even.  Oh, I just checked the thread you linked, it isn't exactly a glitch, but just "averages" the two inputs, which means it isn't true dual-touch input.

The thing is that the optical input would just be optional for those who need backwards compatibility (Wii users and new players who want to play SkywardSword for example). Would be cool if they could use the Wii as an add-on for that optical input, instead of having to buy a drive. Making too many assumptions here...

About the resistive screen, yeah it's a quality, and you could say it is dual-touch since it detects when two pressure points are being applied (it doesn't matter how). Here is an SDK that has been done last year for resistive phones, making the rotation example shown in that patent possible (link). I thought it was something interesting that isn't known, being able to determine angle or zoom with just the change of the average point.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"