By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo should put an end to lazy, half-hearted, half-assed games.

Mr Khan said:
Doobie_wop said:

Nintendo do the exact same thing, you have to lead by example.

You open a huge kettle of fish with that, so i'll hold you to it. I'll need examples, with at least some attempt to explain why these games are half-assed

Wii Music: Half assed attempt at cashing in on their own Wii franchise name. It doesn't help that the game wasn't that good and didn't seem to have the same effort put into it, compared to other major music games.

Mario Sports Mix: They allowed their leading mascot to be placed into a bad sports mini game collection, when they should have at least overlooked the development of the game a little bit and at least ensure that fans of Mario games won't be dissappointed by a bad one.

Super Mario All- Stars: 25th Anniverssary Edition: It's nothing more than an over priced rom dump of a couple of Mario games. They have a single DVD worth of space and yet they didn't choose to add in Super Mario World, Super Mario N64, Super Mario RPG, a couple of GBA games, a longer documentary on the history of Mario, throw in a couple of old commercials or something. They could have added any of those other things and some of the would be easy considering Super Mario 64 is already on their service. They had an oppurtunity to create a compelling package for fans of Mario, but instead they tried their best to put in the least amount of effort possible and just did it all as a quick cash in. SEGA did a much better job with their compilation.

Xenoblade, The Last Story and others: Localise your stuff Nintendo, if the likes of Katamari Damacy, Deadly Premonition, Catherine and Agarest: Generations of War can be localised, then I'm sure two large RPGs that have Nintendo fans foaming at the mouth can be.

Wiiware, online service: It's a cluttered mess, it's unreliable and it's 5 years into this generation and they still couldn't fix their store or online gaming service.

Wii Party: Similar reasons to Wii Music.

Disaster: Day of Crisis: Monolith Soft is a good studio and them seem to be actually trying to make a few 'different' games for the Wii, but as with Disaster, it wasn't marketed well, it wasn't showed off extensively and I'm guessing many Wii fans wouldn't have a clue what it was due to it's obscurity. It's like Sony not supporting Insomniac or Sucker Punch, which is something I can't even a imagine.

I can go on and on, but Nintendo aren't perfect, they've made just as many mistakes as the Third Party publishers that Wii fans always seem to want to attack. Get Nintendo to fix themselves, before you start asking Third Parties to do the same. 

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network

That hamburger sure is big.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Doobie_wop said:
Mr Khan said:
Doobie_wop said:

You open a huge kettle of fish with that, so i'll hold you to it. I'll need examples, with at least some attempt to explain why these games are half-assed

Wii Music: Half assed attempt at cashing in on their own Wii franchise name. It doesn't help that the game wasn't that good and didn't seem to have the same effort put into it, compared to other major music games.

Mario Sports Mix: They allowed their leading mascot to be placed into a bad sports mini game collection, when they should have at least overlooked the development of the game a little bit and at least ensure that fans of Mario games won't be dissappointed by a bad one.

Super Mario All- Stars: 25th Anniverssary Edition: It's nothing more than an over priced rom dump of a couple of Mario games. They have a single DVD worth of space and yet they didn't choose to add in Super Mario World, Super Mario N64, Super Mario RPG, a couple of GBA games, a longer documentary on the history of Mario, throw in a couple of old commercials or something. They could have added any of those other things and some of the would be easy considering Super Mario 64 is already on their service. They had an oppurtunity to create a compelling package for fans of Mario, but instead they tried their best to put in the least amount of effort possible and just did it all as a quick cash in. SEGA did a much better job with their compilation.

Xenoblade, The Last Story and others: Localise your stuff Nintendo, if the likes of Katamari Damacy, Deadly Premonition, Catherine and Agarest: Generations of War can be localised, then I'm sure two large RPGs that have Nintendo fans foaming at the mouth can be.

Wiiware, online service: It's a cluttered mess, it's unreliable and it's 5 years into this generation and they still couldn't fix their store or online gaming service.

Disaster: Day of Crisis: Monolith Soft is a good studio and them seem to be actually trying to make a few 'different' games for the Wii, but as with Disaster, it wasn't marketed well, it wasn't showed off extensively and I'm guessing many Wii fans wouldn't have a clue what it was due to it's obscurity. It's like Sony not supporting Insomniac or Sucker Punch, which is something I can't even a imagine.

I can go on and on, but Nintendo aren't perfect, they've made just as many mistakes as the Third Party publishers that Wii fans always seem to want to attack. Get Nintendo to fix themselves, before you start asking Third Parties to do the same. 

Damnit, i had a response that got eaten.

Some good points there, you got Wii Music and Party correct, as with Anniversary and Sports Mix (All Star Baseball would also have been an acceptable answer under this category), but you got Disaster backwards: the game was narmy and of disputable quality, which is why Nintendo didn't pitch it, and the jury's still out on Last Story and Xenoblade, however this discussion is not about the localization debate, so points are lost here for irrelevance

All in all, a good way to keep this discussion alive, right?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Doobie_wop said:
Mr Khan said:
Doobie_wop said:

Uh-oh, someone is due to a visit from the Nintendo Defense Squad.

Above: still the best game of the year.

I remember someone saying that long ago console manufactors did have quality control on their consoles and they wouldn't let something really bad on it, now however publishers are just too big and could hold a grudge so they are afraid to not let any game through, even if it is bad, just look at that bommerman 360 game thats the best example I can think of, of a game that shouldn't have been allowed to be released 

Around the Network
Joelcool7 said:

Nintendo is not in a position to crack down on third parties. Right now third parties are bailing on the Wii. The big guys are turning from Nintendo as they see their games failing to shift millions of units.

If Nintendo were to crack down on UbiSoft for example it could be disasterous. UbiSoft is one of Nintendo's biggest supporters they supported DS at launch they supported Wii at launch, their supporting 3DS at launch. If Nintendo pissed them off they could ditch Nintendo and go to work on competitors consoles, so we need to put up with their crap. EA you mention, Nintendo doesn't want to piss of EA either. Look at what happened to Sega when they pissed off EA.

Fact is Nintendo can't really crack down on any of the big publishers or they could face backlash and loose both the bad shitty games as well as the few really good games. But what about smaller developers? Nintendo can't crack down on smaller developers either. Why? Smaller developers are the future you never know which smaller developer could turn out the next big hit. Also by stiffaling smaller developers Nintendo would be killing creativity and many of these small developers couldn't afford to continue developing for Nintendo platforms.

In the end Nintendo needs to find a sweet spot. They can't crack down like they did with SNES, but they can't let quality go mad like Atari did with 2600. Nintendo needs to set standards not to high that they would offend and neglect third parties but high enough to keep consumers happy.

Example Rudolf the Red nosed Reindeer by High Voltage should not have been allowed. But Ghost Recon by UbiSoft while l0ooking shitty should still have been permitted. Nintendo just needs to create some kind of quality control.

^This

Mr Khan said:
Doobie_wop said:
Mr Khan said:
Doobie_wop said:

Damnit, i had a response that got eaten.

Some good points there, you got Wii Music and Party correct, as with Anniversary and Sports Mix (All Star Baseball would also have been an acceptable answer under this category), but you got Disaster backwards: the game was narmy and of disputable quality, which is why Nintendo didn't pitch it, and the jury's still out on Last Story and Xenoblade, however this discussion is not about the localization debate, so points are lost here for irrelevance

All in all, a good way to keep this discussion alive, right?

Meh, I could have added in a few more games, but I thought that Nintendos efforts with localisation and marketing of certain games was similar to the porting efforts of Third Parties and their lack of marketing for certain games (No More Heroes, Deadly Creatures and Muramasa as a few examples). 

Discussion is good and I can only hope that I'm not drowned out by people calling for my head, which tends to happens sometimes.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

I think the OP just wants alot less shovelware, why the hell do they allow the bacheolor game? imaginez baby, Barbie, Icarly, all those crappy games should not exist

Because they think it can sell enough to turn a profit

there is no way that people are buying those games enough so to turn a profit, but WTH maybe they do, says alot about some Wii owners though