By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo should put an end to lazy, half-hearted, half-assed games.

Doobie_wop said:

Nintendo do the exact same thing, you have to lead by example.

lol and that was a big lol

seriously?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network
Roma said:
Doobie_wop said:

seriously?

Go back and read my post to Mr. Kahn, it explains why in detail. 

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

While I agree that there should be some kind of quality control but I dont think it would work because of how to know if a game deserves to be released or not. Take a look at just dance, at first glance it would seem its a crappy game but a few years later its one of ubisofts most successful franchises.  It would also seriously compromise nintendos third party support which they need more than ever. In the end I think it its best to wait and expect that the casual crowd will wise up and start picking up games that are actually good and not only mini game collections and crappy games. That way third parties will realize that those games are not selling so they should up the quality of their games. Why improve the quality of a game like imagine xx if they sell like hotcakes.

weezy said:

They shouldn't allow companies like EA, or the tools that made Ridge Racer,  to make a profit on a Nintendo platform.

It should be a privilege to release a game on a Nintendo platform.

In order to release a game of a system bound to sell over 100 million?? You better put some damn heart into that BITCH.

Nintendo is allowing the LAZY, half assed companies to flourish.

Nintendo had a system like this back in the days of the NES. In order to ensure that the filth got filtered out with the good quality stuff, Nintendo introduced the Nintendo Seal of Quality. The guidelines were rather strict, and while some pretty bad games got through, it did control the market rather well.

The height of this came with the introduction of the N64. Because Nintendo were the only ones allowed to make cartridges, a cartridge shortage was predicted for the first several months of the system's release. Thus, Nintendo put together a "Dream Team" of second/third party developers they said were allowed to develop for the system. The rest moved to other systems, such as the PlayStation, and ultimately that led Nintendo to lose their place in the videogame market.

After this, the restrictions were relaxed, and they started allowing lower quality titles to be published in order to compete with Sony. This became more evident with the Gamecube (what little 3rd party support it had) as well as the Wii.

Now that Nintendo's "self imposed regulations" are out of the picture, and anything goes in the market, can anyone else see a repeat of the infamous 1984 crash re-occuring?

P.S I want a burger like that!

Roma said:
Doobie_wop said:

seriously?

For real!

Tell me what games from NINTENDO be half hearted? Or even half assed?

Doobie wop, dont make me do the wop on your lifless corpse.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Around the Network
Doobie_wop said:
Mr Khan said:
Doobie_wop said:

You open a huge kettle of fish with that, so i'll hold you to it. I'll need examples, with at least some attempt to explain why these games are half-assed

Wii Music: Half assed attempt at cashing in on their own Wii franchise name. It doesn't help that the game wasn't that good and didn't seem to have the same effort put into it, compared to other major music games.

Mario Sports Mix: They allowed their leading mascot to be placed into a bad sports mini game collection, when they should have at least overlooked the development of the game a little bit and at least ensure that fans of Mario games won't be dissappointed by a bad one.

Super Mario All- Stars: 25th Anniverssary Edition: It's nothing more than an over priced rom dump of a couple of Mario games. They have a single DVD worth of space and yet they didn't choose to add in Super Mario World, Super Mario N64, Super Mario RPG, a couple of GBA games, a longer documentary on the history of Mario, throw in a couple of old commercials or something. They could have added any of those other things and some of the would be easy considering Super Mario 64 is already on their service. They had an oppurtunity to create a compelling package for fans of Mario, but instead they tried their best to put in the least amount of effort possible and just did it all as a quick cash in. SEGA did a much better job with their compilation.

Xenoblade, The Last Story and others: Localise your stuff Nintendo, if the likes of Katamari Damacy, Deadly Premonition, Catherine and Agarest: Generations of War can be localised, then I'm sure two large RPGs that have Nintendo fans foaming at the mouth can be.

Wiiware, online service: It's a cluttered mess, it's unreliable and it's 5 years into this generation and they still couldn't fix their store or online gaming service.

Wii Party: Similar reasons to Wii Music.

Disaster: Day of Crisis: Monolith Soft is a good studio and them seem to be actually trying to make a few 'different' games for the Wii, but as with Disaster, it wasn't marketed well, it wasn't showed off extensively and I'm guessing many Wii fans wouldn't have a clue what it was due to it's obscurity. It's like Sony not supporting Insomniac or Sucker Punch, which is something I can't even a imagine.

I can go on and on, but Nintendo aren't perfect, they've made just as many mistakes as the Third Party publishers that Wii fans always seem to want to attack. Get Nintendo to fix themselves, before you start asking Third Parties to do the same. 

I wouldn't call Nintendo "lazy" with these titles as much as I'd like to call them "sly".

All Stars, for instance, was simply a re-release of a 15 year old game. But it sold out. And it's being remade to probably sell out again. With the little work they did, they made a ton of money. That's not a bad thing, it's actually very smart.

I think it's okay to let half-assed games be made. If they are bad, people won't buy them.

The only thing that matters is that there's enough GOOD content. Nintendo has to figure out how to get 3rd party developers to want to develop good games for the system. 

Maybe they should give rewards to 3rd parties that sell at or above a certain level. Something like "1 million for every million"... or maybe free Nintendo character usage... or Miyamoto comes to your studio to meet everybody. 

fordy said:
weezy said:

They shouldn't allow companies like EA, or the tools that made Ridge Racer,  to make a profit on a Nintendo platform.

It should be a privilege to release a game on a Nintendo platform.

In order to release a game of a system bound to sell over 100 million?? You better put some damn heart into that BITCH.

Nintendo is allowing the LAZY, half assed companies to flourish.

Nintendo had a system like this back in the days of the NES. In order to ensure that the filth got filtered out with the good quality stuff, Nintendo introduced the Nintendo Seal of Quality. The guidelines were rather strict, and while some pretty bad games got through, it did control the market rather well.

The height of this came with the introduction of the N64. Because Nintendo were the only ones allowed to make cartridges, a cartridge shortage was predicted for the first several months of the system's release. Thus, Nintendo put together a "Dream Team" of second/third party developers they said were allowed to develop for the system. The rest moved to other systems, such as the PlayStation, and ultimately that led Nintendo to lose their place in the videogame market.

After this, the restrictions were relaxed, and they started allowing lower quality titles to be published in order to compete with Sony. This became more evident with the Gamecube (what little 3rd party support it had) as well as the Wii.

Now that Nintendo's "self imposed regulations" are out of the picture, and anything goes in the market, can anyone else see a repeat of the infamous 1984 crash re-occuring?

P.S I want a burger like that!

Actually it had more to do with Nintendo restructuring its third-party licensing fees program during the middle of Gamecube's life-cycle to better compete with Sony's program. Previously a third-party had to pay flat fee regardless of what price they were trying to sell its title at.  But later they changed it to a bendable rate where lower retail priced games had to a lower fee.  That led to 3rd parties being able to make alot more money on "bargain" games than they could previously.

mortono said:

I think it's okay to let half-assed games be made. If they are bad, people won't buy them.

The only thing that matters is that there's enough GOOD content. Nintendo has to figure out how to get 3rd party developers to want to develop good games for the system. 

Maybe they should give rewards to 3rd parties that sell at or above a certain level. Something like "1 million for every million"... or maybe free Nintendo character usage... or Miyamoto comes to your studio to meet everybody. 

People don't buy bad games? Vampire Rain, Hannah Montana games, My Little Pony, Big Rigs, all these games sell to actual customers... Bad games don't sell a lot? Maybe that's true but if games follow the conventions of other media then they certainly could (Twilight movies and books sell shitloads and there is a neverending line of horrid musicians selling to platinum every year) and will under the right circumstances.

mortono said:
Doobie_wop said:
Mr Khan said:
Doobie_wop said:

You open a huge kettle of fish with that, so i'll hold you to it. I'll need examples, with at least some attempt to explain why these games are half-assed

Wii Music: Half assed attempt at cashing in on their own Wii franchise name. It doesn't help that the game wasn't that good and didn't seem to have the same effort put into it, compared to other major music games.

Mario Sports Mix: They allowed their leading mascot to be placed into a bad sports mini game collection, when they should have at least overlooked the development of the game a little bit and at least ensure that fans of Mario games won't be dissappointed by a bad one.

Super Mario All- Stars: 25th Anniverssary Edition: It's nothing more than an over priced rom dump of a couple of Mario games. They have a single DVD worth of space and yet they didn't choose to add in Super Mario World, Super Mario N64, Super Mario RPG, a couple of GBA games, a longer documentary on the history of Mario, throw in a couple of old commercials or something. They could have added any of those other things and some of the would be easy considering Super Mario 64 is already on their service. They had an oppurtunity to create a compelling package for fans of Mario, but instead they tried their best to put in the least amount of effort possible and just did it all as a quick cash in. SEGA did a much better job with their compilation.

Xenoblade, The Last Story and others: Localise your stuff Nintendo, if the likes of Katamari Damacy, Deadly Premonition, Catherine and Agarest: Generations of War can be localised, then I'm sure two large RPGs that have Nintendo fans foaming at the mouth can be.

Wiiware, online service: It's a cluttered mess, it's unreliable and it's 5 years into this generation and they still couldn't fix their store or online gaming service.

Wii Party: Similar reasons to Wii Music.

Disaster: Day of Crisis: Monolith Soft is a good studio and them seem to be actually trying to make a few 'different' games for the Wii, but as with Disaster, it wasn't marketed well, it wasn't showed off extensively and I'm guessing many Wii fans wouldn't have a clue what it was due to it's obscurity. It's like Sony not supporting Insomniac or Sucker Punch, which is something I can't even a imagine.

I can go on and on, but Nintendo aren't perfect, they've made just as many mistakes as the Third Party publishers that Wii fans always seem to want to attack. Get Nintendo to fix themselves, before you start asking Third Parties to do the same. 

I wouldn't call Nintendo "lazy" with these titles as much as I'd like to call them "sly".

All Stars, for instance, was simply a re-release of a 15 year old game. But it sold out. And it's being remade to probably sell out again. With the little work they did, they made a ton of money. That's not a bad thing, it's actually very smart.

It's also taking advantage of an audience that is willing to put money down for anything related to Mario. They are lazy when it comes to certain efforts, as I've listed and they have many more faults within their publisher line. All the publishers have faults, singling out Nintendo as being perfect is just being extremely biased to that specific company.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752