Forums - Gaming Discussion - Uncharted 3 Vs Gears of War 3

Uncharted 3 Vs Gears of War 3

Uncharted 3 676 65.19%

Gears Of War 3 361 34.81%

Total:1,037
mantlepiecek said:
d21lewis said:

Just pointing out a couple things:

• GeoW came out in 2006. In 2007, Uncharted came out with 90% of Gears' cover/combat system (I KNOW about Kill.Switch.  Just work with me, here.)
  • GeoW had a "fight on the train scene" in 2006.  Uncharted 2 had their train scene in 2009.
  • GeoW2 had a "fight inside a collapsing building scene" in 2008.  Uncharted 2 had its scene in 2009.
  • In GeoW2, you had to run from a flood (of cars, buildings, and city debris).  In Uncharted 3, you have to run from a flood of Water.  Not too overwhelming.  (For the record, In Halo, you actually FIGHT the Flood.  Halo FTW!)
  • GeoW 1 & 2 your NPC buddy (Carmine) died.  In Uncharted 2, your NPC buddy (CAMERA guy--sounds like "Carmine", doesn't it?) died.
  • You had to find "Dog Tags" in Gears.  You had to find "Treasure" in Uncharted.
  • Nathan Drake was origninally going to be a trash talking black guy named Cole.

Don't you see?  Uncharted steals EVERYTHING from the Gears of War series!!  I bet that in U3, Drake gets eaten by a giant snake because snakes =/= worms.

Nitpicking.

If you see one of the videos made by MS themselves on Milo, you see that even they acknowledge the superiority of Uncharted 2. Its used by them as in one of the best examples of motion capture, yes a PS3 exclusive.

I know you are joking though.

For the previous post: No, there are multiple ways of using stealth and it can be used in a lot of places in UC2. Using the crossbow is stealth gameplay since it makes no sound and the enemies don't identify you if you do it from faraway.

Uncharted 2 had you running through tons of environments rainy, snowy, sunny, you name it. Gears is all dungeon and city except for the last level I think. Who's more versatile?

The train scene? LOL. Play killzone 2 and come back you will realise its killzone 2 that has a similar train scene not Uncharted 2 which does it completely differently with riding on top as well as bottom.

Gears of war 2 stealth is a DLC so why mention that? Even then the stealth didn't include much stealth but doing what Dom tells you to do.

The TPS mechanics are the same, but UC2 is not all about TPS. Even UC1 wasn't. That's like playing gears on the lowest difficulty without using anything other than the lancer and then complaining about lack of weapons and cover system. UC2 has a lot more than shooting, for eg stealth, which you seem to have overlooked. The melee is also stealth. Crossbow is stealth. The gun which tranquilises is stealth. There's a lot of stealth elments in this game, you just have to use it.

The running mechanics don't need to be bending mechanics though, since everyone who's played multi--player of gears of war knows its equally easy to shoot at a running guy than a walking guy, just not that easy to get a headshot.

AI I agree, UC2 has better AI than UC1 but not as good as unreal gears AI. But UC2's AI is good enough for a game like itself.

Story is a personal preference and I usually don't feel strongly about what the story itself is rather than how a story is told, unless the story is really good eg The Darkness, infamous and Heavy Rain.

YES!

-Gears had rain, razor hail, mountains, underground, inside of a worm, in the air, snowy environments, destroyed cities, and science labs!  I win!!

-I didn't see a crossbow (or maybe I'm thinking tranquilizer) in Uncharted since mission 1, the only "stealth mission".  I guess I need to replay it.

-Killzone 2?  I thought this was between Uncharted and Gears.  Still, Gears came first (but not before Shadows of the Empire on N64).  I never played KZ2 but I can say with confidence that it stole every idea from Killzone 1 which stole every idea from Gears of War before GoW1 was released (those fiends!)--Just kidding.

-Play Tomb Raider Legend.  Uncharted took all of that game's unique climbing mechanics and blended it with Gears.  Hardly original.  Just because Gears ripped off one game and Uncharted ripped off two, I give the originality nod to Gears.  The ONLY thing Uncharted added was the melee combat.

-Shooting a running guy vs. a walking guy?  In every game, including Call of Duty, it's easy to shoot a running guy.  In fact, I do it every few months at work using M.I.L.E.S. Gear when we do our force on force drills.

I'll agree with the story being personal preference and that there's better stories than both games elsewhere in gaming. 

M.I.L.E.S. Gear for those unfamiliar:  Best game of lazer tag, ever!!:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_Integrated_Laser_Engagement_System

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
mantlepiecek said:
d21lewis said:

• GeoW came out in 2006. In 2007, Uncharted came out with 90% of Gears' cover/combat system (I KNOW about Kill.Switch.  Just work with me, here.)
  • GeoW had a "fight on the train scene" in 2006.  Uncharted 2 had their train scene in 2009.
  • GeoW2 had a "fight inside a collapsing building scene" in 2008.  Uncharted 2 had its scene in 2009.
  • In GeoW2, you had to run from a flood (of cars, buildings, and city debris).  In Uncharted 3, you have to run from a flood of Water.  Not too overwhelming.  (For the record, In Halo, you actually FIGHT the Flood.  Halo FTW!)
  • GeoW 1 & 2 your NPC buddy (Carmine) died.  In Uncharted 2, your NPC buddy (CAMERA guy--sounds like "Carmine", doesn't it?) died.
  • You had to find "Dog Tags" in Gears.  You had to find "Treasure" in Uncharted.
  • Nathan Drake was origninally going to be a trash talking black guy named Cole.

Don't you see?  Uncharted steals EVERYTHING from the Gears of War series!!  I bet that in U3, Drake gets eaten by a giant snake because snakes =/= worms.

Nitpicking.

If you see one of the videos made by MS themselves on Milo, you see that even they acknowledge the superiority of Uncharted 2. Its used by them as in one of the best examples of motion capture, yes a PS3 exclusive.

For the previous post: No, there are multiple ways of using stealth and it can be used in a lot of places in UC2. Using the crossbow is stealth gameplay since it makes no sound and the enemies don't identify you if you do it from faraway.

Uncharted 2 had you running through tons of environments rainy, snowy, sunny, you name it. Gears is all dungeon and city except for the last level I think. Who's more versatile?

The train scene? LOL. Play killzone 2 and come back you will realise its killzone 2 that has a similar train scene not Uncharted 2 which does it completely differently with riding on top as well as bottom.

Gears of war 2 stealth is a DLC so why mention that? Even then the stealth didn't include much stealth but doing what Dom tells you to do.

The TPS mechanics are the same, but UC2 is not all about TPS. Even UC1 wasn't. That's like playing gears on the lowest difficulty without using anything other than the lancer and then complaining about lack of weapons and cover system. UC2 has a lot more than shooting, for eg stealth, which you seem to have overlooked. The melee is also stealth. Crossbow is stealth. The gun which tranquilises is stealth. There's a lot of stealth elments in this game, you just have to use it.

The running mechanics don't need to be bending mechanics though, since everyone who's played multi--player of gears of war knows its equally easy to shoot at a running guy than a walking guy, just not that easy to get a headshot.

AI I agree, UC2 has better AI than UC1 but not as good as unreal gears AI. But UC2's AI is good enough for a game like itself.

Story is a personal preference and I usually don't feel strongly about what the story itself is rather than how a story is told, unless the story is really good eg The Darkness, infamous and Heavy Rain.

YES!

-Gears had rain, razor hail, mountains, underground, inside of a worm, in the air, snowy environments, destroyed cities, and science labs!  I win!!

-I didn't see a crossbow (or maybe I'm thinking tranquilizer) in Uncharted since mission 1, the only "stealth mission".  I guess I need to replay it.

-Killzone 2?  I thought this was between Uncharted and Gears.  Still, Gears came first (but not before Shadows of the Empire on N64).  I never played KZ2 but I can say with confidence that it stole every idea from Killzone 1 which stole every idea from Gears of War before GoW1 was released (those fiends!)--Just kidding.

-Play Tomb Raider Legend.  Uncharted took all of that game's unique climbing mechanics and blended it with Gears.  Hardly original.  Just because Gears ripped off one game and Uncharted ripped off two, I give the originality nod to Gears.  The ONLY thing Uncharted added was the melee combat.

-Shooting a running guy vs. a walking guy?  In every game, including Call of Duty, it's easy to shoot a running guy.  In fact, I do it every few months at work using M.I.L.E.S. Gear when we do our force on force drills.

I'll agree with the story being personal preference and that there's better stories than both games elsewhere in gaming. 

I never said Uncharted is original. But it does something different by mixing up cinematic story telling, platforming, TPS elements, and stealth elements.

Does tomb raider do that?

I know this isn't about killzone, but when you have played a lot of games you realise that stuff like train sequences aren't much of a deal because almost every other game has one. Uncharted 2 has one, Gears 1 had one, killzone 2 is very similar to gears 1, and I am sure there are other games that have train sequences.

And environments variety:

"Gears had rain, razor hail, mountains, underground, inside of a worm, in the air, snowy environments, destroyed cities, and science labs!  I win!!"

All brown though. Except for the snowy environments, its browner than killzone 2 as well, which is famous for being a single color-centric.

Uncharted 2? Snowy enviroments? Check. Temples? Check. Trains? Check. Greenery? Check. Urban locations? Check. Rivers? Check. Caves? Check.

Everything, basically. Except for desert. Which is going to be in Uncharted 3.

mantlepiecek said:
d21lewis said:
mantlepiecek said:
d21lewis said:

Nitpicking.

YES!

I never said Uncharted is original. But it does something different by mixing up cinematic story telling, platforming, TPS elements, and stealth elements.

Does tomb raider do that?

I know this isn't about killzone, but when you have played a lot of games you realise that stuff like train sequences aren't much of a deal because almost every other game has one. Uncharted 2 has one, Gears 1 had one, killzone 2 is very similar to gears 1, and I am sure there are other games that have train sequences.

And environments variety:

"Gears had rain, razor hail, mountains, underground, inside of a worm, in the air, snowy environments, destroyed cities, and science labs!  I win!!"

All brown though. Except for the snowy environments, its browner than killzone 2 as well, which is famous for being a single color-centric.

Uncharted 2? Snowy enviroments? Check. Temples? Check. Trains? Check. Greenery? Check. Urban locations? Check. Rivers? Check. Caves? Check.

Everything, basically. Except for desert. Which is going to be in Uncharted 3.

Not all vivid, but not "all brown", either. Maybe grey?  So basically both games covered all environments except for desert--except for Gears which included flying through the air on the back of a giant bug and the guts of a giant worm.  So, I win?

If I had to compare each series to a movie, I'd say Uncharted is like James Cameron's Avatar:  A very beautiful, very engaging, still predictable story that was easy to relate to.  Gears is like Gone With the Wind.  No.  I'm kidding.  It's like Ridley Scott's Alien:  A very impressive, very desperate feeling, gritty story.  Both very good in their own way.

d21lewis said:

Not all vivid, but not "all brown", either. Maybe grey?  So basically both games covered all environments except for desert--except for Gears which included flying through the air on the back of a giant bug and the guts of a giant worm.  So, I win?

If I had to compare each series to a movie, I'd say Uncharted is like James Cameron's Avatar:  A very beautiful, very engaging, still predictable story that was easy to relate to.  Gears is like Gone With the Wind.  No.  I'm kidding.  It's like Ridley Scott's Alien:  A very impressive, very desperate feeling, gritty story.  Both very good in their own way.

You are interestingly stubborn.

Oh well. I think Uncharted 2 has more variety in its environments than both Gears of War 1 and 2 put together. Because both gears of war 1 and 2 dominate heavily in caves and dungeons. Gears 3 is finally going to have grass, I wonder how its grown so suddenly. Maybe they will explain this in the game.

I also forgot the best environment in UC2 the Ice! Damn that was so brilliant.

Yeah gears 1 and 2 are both very good in their own way. 

mantlepiecek said:
d21lewis said:

You are interestingly stubborn.

Oh well. I think Uncharted 2 has more variety in its environments than both Gears of War 1 and 2 put together. Because both gears of war 1 and 2 dominate heavily in caves and dungeons. Gears 3 is finally going to have grass, I wonder how its grown so suddenly. Maybe they will explain this in the game.

I also forgot the best environment in UC2 the Ice! Damn that was so brilliant.

Yeah gears 1 and 2 are both very good in their own way. 

It's the internet!

It's gonna be Dom's Beard vs. Sully's Mustache this winter in the video game showdown of the century.  I can't wait!  Anyway, it was fun.  Later, dude!

Around the Network
tuscaniman said:

How can the cover mechanics be clunky when Uncharted obviously takes their inspiration from Gears but doesn't do it as well? Gears has the best cover mechanics and easiest controls in the TPS genre.

Did Eight Days take inspiration from Gears of War?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eSoOZFyTmI

And I like Uncharted's gameplay mechanics better.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

putting aside personal tastes in gaming, uncharted 3 will trounce gears of war 3. 

better developers (insomniac) on better hardware (PS3) = better game. 

MikeB said:
tuscaniman said:

How can the cover mechanics be clunky when Uncharted obviously takes their inspiration from Gears but doesn't do it as well? Gears has the best cover mechanics and easiest controls in the TPS genre.

Did Eight Days take inspiration from Gears of War?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eSoOZFyTmI

And I like Uncharted's gameplay mechanics better.

I may be wrong and if I am, please forgive me.  Here goes:

Eight Days was announced in 2006.  The video that was shown was renders of what they wanted gameplay to look like (sorta like Killzone 2).  It was a big deal at the time that they weren't showing in game footage.  Suddenly, actual in-game footage (the footage you posted the link to, as a matter of fact) re-appeared in 2009.  The game went from being "Cancelled" to being "On hold".  Sony's been working on this game.  So, to answer your question, I say yes.

But cover based shooting isn't anything new.  I own this game:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw1BhyvSw4Q&feature=related

and we all know about Kill.Switch.  It's just the way that Uncharted's layout is almost button for button exactly like GeoW except that the "run" button is now a "jump" button.  Almost how the button layout for climbing is almost exactly like Tomb Raider Legend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfbsHd1VITM

i thought both uncharted 1 and 2 were really shitty...i only played gears2 and it was ok...so i voted for gears3.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

d21lewis said:

Don't you see?  Uncharted steals EVERYTHING from the Gears of War series!!  I bet that in U3, Drake gets eaten by a giant snake because snakes =/= worms

thanks for the input JEFF.