By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Americas Up......... Wii........

AussieGecko said:
Conegamer said:

The issue is, the same can be said for any console, because this gen, all 3 have an amazing games line-up. None of which are more awesome than others. It all comes down to personal taste...

Yup I agree, but to say not even close is ludicrous. One of the best... I mean there are no parameters in that sentence. As long as you dont have the worse you are one of the best haha

Yeah I suppose, I was just making a general statement on the quality of all 3 systems this gen

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Conegamer said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Conegamer said:
darthdevidem01 said:
TT Makaveli said:

man Xbox is eating their competitors...sad thing for Wii...for PS3 isnt that bad because it rarely sold better than the Xbox in america...but still my opinion is that Sony should do something over there...i think Sony is a little bit too optimistic with KZ3...maybe Sony think this will have a little impact and yes it will maybe have...but only for one week and Xbox is outselling PS 2:1...and Killzone will never push like 60-70k more consoles over there ^^

Price price price

$299 is where PS3 is at, thats where PS2 launched. Lets be happy to see PS3 doing this well worldwide despite that.

Wait till $199...

It won't reach $199 until the PS4 is released, or for AT LEAST another 3-4 years. Then the console will be pretty much dead so the impact of a price cut wouldn't be that large anyway...

LOLOLOL

Do a bet with me

I can't believe you think PS3 won't reach $199 for 3-4 years.

Why would it? It'll go down to either $249 late this year or early next, yes.

After that? 2012 may see a re-design, but most of the focus will (hopefully) be on NGP. Wii2 will also launch

2013 will see the launch of the PS4, maybe Xbox720 as well

Early 2014, the momentum for the PS3 will be dying, sony will try to compensate for this by dropping the price to $199.

Soo... what's infeasible about that eh?

Are we doing a bet or not? lol

2 Week dibs on avatar?

Well, cone?

thx1139 said:
Michael-5 said:
trestres said:
Michael-5 said:

Yea, but a $150 Wii would still be a cool secondary console. I doubt software is the problem, Nintendo has enough studios to easily make more Wii's. Also If you allign Wii and PS2 sales, you will see Wii has been outselling PS2 every year by 3 million or so. This year, PS2 got a price cut and it's sales jumped to 18 million. So assuming Wii gets a price cut, I think at worst it should match last years 20 million sales. Even with a price cut, I don't see PS3 or 360 toping 15 million, maybe 14 million, but thats the best.

Also the year Wii got a price cut last, wasn't that Wii's strongest year?

Wii didn't sell 20 million last year, it sold 18.3 million.
Wii's best year wasn't 2009 (21.6 million) when it got the price cut. It was 2008 with 24.4 million sales. So sales went down 3 million even with a price cut. I don't think a price cut will have a big impact because the other manufacturers will cut the pricde too.

Oh hm... Wii must have been adjusted with the 360 in January, I remember it just breaking 20 million.

Well you make a good point, and I really can't argue with it, but right now Wii is a $200 SD console. I think in 2006 the console was worth more because HD tv's were still pricy, but now they aren't so people are probably switching to HD consoles. So I think a pricecut on Wii could really help them out. To be honest, I dunno, I hope Wii sells well, Nintendo deserves to be ontop.

Key is when Nintendo drops to $150 do they continue to bundle 2 high profile software titles with the system?  As consoles drop in price they become more attractive to people that buy less software new at full retail price. So giving away software hurts more because those people will end up purchasing less.  Give them software with the console and they purchase even less.

Well NSMB Wii was limited time, and Wii Sports isn't a full out game (although replay is high). I think bundling Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resorts is a good move because future Wii owners would still like a full out Wii game. I don't see Nintendo bundling the Wii with a high profile game like they did last fall again, I think Nintendo would be smarter to bundle the Wii with lower profile titles, maybe at specific retailers. Say for example, bundle Wii Party (another Wii branded game), Kirby's Epic Yarn, Epic Mickey, or even something third party like Monster Hunter Tri. Well rated games, but not necessarily crazy sellers (except Wii Party, which is still a Wii branded game). That would still keep profits high, and software sales strong.

Still great points, maybe Wii won't sell any better, but I don't see HD console sales rising, and I don't see Wii falling below 15 million, especially with a price cut.

Maybe a price cut, and some colours like they first promised! I still have yet to see a green Wii! That could bring sales up to 20 million. Have each color come with a medium profile game, and I definatly see sales staying strong.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Train wreck said:

A cheaper Wii will make it in the league of the Dreamcast and Gamecube, consumers will start to question why the console is cheap and question future support...

Maybe......

But remember, PS2 was $140 in 2006, 6 years after launch, and it still sol 13.66 million in 2006, 11 million in 0, 9million in 08, 6 million in 09, and 4.3 million last year. Wii will be 5 years old this year.

Dreamcast and gamecube dropped in price early, Gamecube was only $100 in 2005, 4 years after launch.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Michael-5 said:
Train wreck said:

A cheaper Wii will make it in the league of the Dreamcast and Gamecube, consumers will start to question why the console is cheap and question future support...

Maybe......

But remember, PS2 was $140 in 2006, 6 years after launch, and it still sol 13.66 million in 2006, 11 million in 0, 9million in 08, 6 million in 09, and 4.3 million last year. Wii will be 5 years old this year.

Dreamcast and gamecube dropped in price early, Gamecube was only $100 in 2005, 4 years after launch.

Yep, the rule must roughly be "don't drop the price too low too early", that's what devalue the product, but price drops at a not frantic rate are expected in the electronics and IT markets, and they usually expand the audience and extend the life of successful products. And Wii IS successful, a lot more than GC, struggling to exceed 20M sold and exceeding 80M and just having more difficulties than predicted to most likely exceed 120M lifetime, if not more (*), aren't by any means the same.

(*) (and Wii can still exceed 140M if Ninty does something, it's just 180-200M thresholds that aren't likely anymore, even with huge efforts, and 160M that turned from "with some efforts" into "with huge efforts")

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Michael-5 said:
Train wreck said:

Maybe......

Yep, the rule must roughly be "don't drop the price too low too early", that's what devalue the product, but price drops at a not frantic rate are expected in the electronics and IT markets, and they usually expand the audience and extend the life of successful products. And Wii IS successful, a lot more than GC, struggling to exceed 20M sold and exceeding 80M and just having more difficulties than predicted to most likely exceed 120M lifetime, if not more (*), aren't by any means the same.

(*) (and Wii can still exceed 140M if Ninty does something, it's just 180-200M thresholds that aren't likely anymore, even with huge efforts, and 160M that turned from "with some efforts" into "with huge efforts")

Well, if anything I blame software. Wii isn't getting much third party support and Nintendo is only producing a handful of quality titles for the Wii. Also a lot of attention (at least in Americas) is shifting to Kinect, Wii may start to have trouble competing.

I agree with you completly about Wii's LTD sales. 120 is likely, 140 is possible, but I think 160 is possible of Nintendo adds something as unique s the Balance Board out to the lineup.

The wii is doing fine.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB