By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - “PlayStation 4″ Plans Suspended?

NYANKS said:

I guess we ARE getting close to the point where next gen rumors should start spraying about....my how the time flies.

Indeed

Around the Network
psrock said:

And Obama is not running from president in 2012. 

this is bad news for the GOP

I don't think anyone is saying there will never be a PS4 just that it's not coming soon and so Sony are aparently stopping some PS4 related dev project with IBM. A rumour is a rumour, it might be true probably isn't...

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

I think it all depends on the NGP, if it turns out to be a huge success and sells well over a 100 million then we could very well see the end of home consoles. Portable is the future, rarely anyone in Japan uses computers for the internet, they do most of the internet browsing on there cell phones.

Here's a fun idea of what handhelds of the future could be if home consoles are eliminated, the biggest problem a lot of people are going to have with that is I think screen size, not to many people want to play a big epic game on such a tiny screen, so maybe there can be a wireless option that you can display the picture and sound on tv's? that would be not to bad, that way it's kinda portable and a home console at the same time. Win win!

i dunno if anyones said anything yet, but no, thats not what it says lol. it says that there arent any immediate plans for the ps4, saying that its only halfway through its lifecycle.

and btw in that same breath they talk about how microsoft is at the same stage as sony with their next console (which they think isnt very far)

if this is saying that sony wont have a next console, its also saying that microsoft wont

Around the Network

I don't want the next gen too soon especially when PS3 is just having a new flood of excellent exclusives. i'm worried about how much the next gen games are going to cost. I guess unless there is certain revolutionay changes in the game development process, we will see fewer and fewer new ips in next gen. So it is good that Sony decides to suspend the plan. Let's have more varieties, not just COD every year...

Where is Pachter. He needs to weight on this immediately :P

this is very probable! i suppose, they skip one generation and come out with the PS5 and a 20 years plan next year

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

I dont mind if they deay the PS4 (if there is one). The PS3 is awsome to the extent that i personally cant see many more improvements to be made. It would be a waste of money developing the PS4 when all the modern technology is incorprated into the PS3 system. If they stopped updating the PS3 or some awsome new technology came out that the PS3 couldn't handle then they should make or develop a PS4. If sony does have something hidden up their sleeves then good for them but i cant see many major things to fix with the PS3.

Wait... does this mean im not human?

PSN addy - mrx95

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. - Nelson Mandela

A radical is a man with his feet planted firmly in the air. - Franklin.D.Roosevelt

I bought the PS2 and PS3 on Launch. I came to the conclusion, that I would have benfit more if I had stayed in the old generation to finish up some good games I had missed. I will buy my next Console along with the first big game in a bundle.

Personally I could wait another 4-5 years until the next gen consoles arrive. We have bluray, HD, HDD and online gaming. I do not think that a slightly graphical upgrade is worth another € 400-500. I fear that the diversity of gaming would suffer even more if the next generation comes too early.

I mean, the PS3 brought HD to Europe when almost nobody had a HD TV. Even now most TV Channels do not support HD. This generation still has enough potential and I would gladly see some more Games. Especially since I lost my Launch 60GB to YLOD I want to use my second PS3 at least 3-4 more years.