By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do people think a game that sold more is automatically better?

Edgeoflife said:
dsister said:
Edgeoflife said:

You haven't played any of them have you

I own and have played Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicle

Then you have some serious delusions about FF13, I tried it at a friends house yesterday, I couldn't even play it, it was too easy, the only deaths were the cheap ones, the game was so linaer and boring, I wouldn't be surprized if it was beatable with your eyes closed 

You're judging a game after only one try at a friend's house? And a JRPG on top of that?

That's just wrong and as a gamer you should know better.

Around the Network
chocoloco said:

Jumping in late to sya that people need to stop acting like the world is black and white because sometimes better selling games are really good while other times bad selling games are really good. For both camps to say one side of the issue is right and the other is wrong is only usling the type of linear thinking that only leads to dogmatic thinking that only creates foolish arguing and inmany cases in human history bloody wars and millions of lives wasted.

The world is not black and white and one means beliefg will always remain his own. I would say Dead Space is epic, but it hardly sell and I would also say Red Dead Redemption is epic and it has sold preety danm well.

Now kiss and make up.

Nobody can ever quote me on this later I might forget it. :D

My whole point is sales are meaningless to the quality games...

dsister said:
Edgeoflife said:

I've disagreed with that point the whole time, sales are not even a good indicater, certain sales patterns/trends can indicate a good game but the sum of sales are a horrible inidcater, too many variables 

Give me a list of games that can be argued as bad that have sold really really well, please.

inb4 Wii series.

FFXIII is the most obvious example, as you pointed out many of the wii games, pretty much any movie game that sold well, as well as most super hero games I'd have to do a lot of vg chartz searching to give you more specifics but there are alot 

Boutros said:
Edgeoflife said:
dsister said:
Edgeoflife said:

You haven't played any of them have you

I own and have played Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicle

Then you have some serious delusions about FF13, I tried it at a friends house yesterday, I couldn't even play it, it was too easy, the only deaths were the cheap ones, the game was so linaer and boring, I wouldn't be surprized if it was beatable with your eyes closed 

You're judging a game after only one try at a friend's house? And a JRPG on top of that?

That's just wrong and as a gamer you should know better.

Actually I did a lot of research on the game and even the most glowing reviews turned me off, I disliked everything that was said about the games gameplay and leveling system and I didn't even have a desire to play the first time and I came away with less of a desire to play it, playing the game in full would only give me a more detailed responce to why I think the game is horrible 

Edgeoflife said:
chocoloco said:

Jumping in late to sya that people need to stop acting like the world is black and white because sometimes better selling games are really good while other times bad selling games are really good. For both camps to say one side of the issue is right and the other is wrong is only usling the type of linear thinking that only leads to dogmatic thinking that only creates foolish arguing and inmany cases in human history bloody wars and millions of lives wasted.

The world is not black and white and one means beliefg will always remain his own. I would say Dead Space is epic, but it hardly sell and I would also say Red Dead Redemption is epic and it has sold preety danm well.

Now kiss and make up.

And I am saying you are only looking at it as if that is true 100% of the time which it is not. The word meaningless is totally inappropriate to final/absolute. The issue is somewhere in the middle.

Around the Network

its your own personal opinion 

I enjoyed BFBC2 far more than Call of duty but call of duty sold 1/4 less. Does that make BFBC2 an worst game. No and yes, it was up to the personal opinion on whats good or bad. 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

chocoloco said:
Edgeoflife said:
chocoloco said:

Now kiss and make up.

And I am saying you are only looking at it as if that is true 100% of the time which it is not. The word meaningless is totally inappropriate to final/absolute. The issue is somewhere in the middle.

No it's really not, sales have too little connection to quality to draw any reliable results from the sum of sales alone, and that is 100% true

Well, I think that sales are just an indication of quality (meaning good word of mouth). Advertising something can only last you for oh so long.

good sales doesn't mean the game is full of quality all of the time, and bad sales doesn't mean the game is bad (most of the time its too niche.)

Edgeoflife said:
chocoloco said:
Edgeoflife said:
chocoloco said:

Now kiss and make up.

No it's really not, sales have too little connection to sales quality to draw any reliable results from the sum of sales alone, and that is 100% true

I hope you meant quality there. Still never make it sound like something that is consumed by the majority is compleatly wrong. That is just as wrong as saying something that is valued by the minority is compleatly wrong.

Thread creator a many-times-permabanned alt, I had to ban another user....I think I'd better lock this thread