By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do people think a game that sold more is automatically better?

slowmo said:
LivingMetal said:
Edgeoflife said:
slowmo said:

So every game that sells poorly is great?

Your argument is even more flawed than the person you're disagreeing with.  There is no accurate measure for what everyone likes, hell even most reviewers stipulate that a review is a guide not a accurate representation of what you may think about a game.  Sales are an indicator of the quality of a game, just like reviews, play time and just general word of mouth. 

Out of everything you listed sales are the worst indicator, and I never said every game that sells poorly is great, at the most I've said every game that sells great isn't nearly as good as some that have sold significantly less and I disagree with there being no accurate way to measure what is good, as long as you keep it within the genre's it's not even that hard it's not that hard to make a certeria of what makes a good 2D platformer or a good rpg, there will always be sub genres and differences of course but it's not impossible by a long shot 

You made a very valid point there.

And to slowmo, be careful by not trying to put words into people's mouth to prove a point.

I used his own logic, I didn't say that he said that at all or I would have quoted those words. 

He said there is no criteria then says its not impossible to get one yet still hasn't proposed this solution despite saying everyone else is wrong.  What point were you agreeing with exactly, his mad butchered logic or just his general biased viewpoint?

First, he said, "...I never said every game that sells poorly is great..."

Because you said, "So every game that sells poorly is great?"

I'll leave it there.

Around the Network
slowmo said:
Edgeoflife said:
biggamejames79 said:

Even if ps3 has more overall sales on exclusives, it's not translating into more people buying the system than the 360.  They're not moving systems the way 360 exclusives do.  Sony dominated last Gen by a lot, it wasn't even close, but they have dropped the ball this Gen by letting Microsoft back in the race and dominate the market with the most buyers, the U.S.

Everyone I know bought a 360 because it was cheaper and they wanted to play multiplats, it's not the exclusives thats selling the 360 or atleast not the biggest reason, if ps3 was the same price as 360 when it launched 360 wouldn't have more sales now 

If the 360 didn't have the RROd the PS3 would be dead and buried, stop playing the IF's and BUT's game and stay on topic.

Your true colors have been exposed.  Thank you for your display of honesty.

LivingMetal said:

This is simply a relatively, personal perceptive.  I remember the first Superman game that came out for the N64.  It sold over a million copies when first released, and it was a horrible game.  It wasn't bought becuase it was a "good game" which it wasn't.  It was bought because it was Superman.  And there have been better games that I enjoyed that sold less than a million copies.

According to VGC numbers it didn't even manage half a million.

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

slowmo said:
Edgeoflife said:
biggamejames79 said:

Even if ps3 has more overall sales on exclusives, it's not translating into more people buying the system than the 360.  They're not moving systems the way 360 exclusives do.  Sony dominated last Gen by a lot, it wasn't even close, but they have dropped the ball this Gen by letting Microsoft back in the race and dominate the market with the most buyers, the U.S.

Everyone I know bought a 360 because it was cheaper and they wanted to play multiplats, it's not the exclusives thats selling the 360 or atleast not the biggest reason, if ps3 was the same price as 360 when it launched 360 wouldn't have more sales now 

If the 360 didn't have the RROd the PS3 would be dead and buried, stop playing the IF's and BUT's game and stay on topic.

Okay no if's or buts just a fact, PS3 sold more in it's first 4 years on the market then 360 did on it's first 4 years on the market 

dsister said:
LivingMetal said:

This is simply a relatively, personal perceptive.  I remember the first Superman game that came out for the N64.  It sold over a million copies when first released, and it was a horrible game.  It wasn't bought becuase it was a "good game" which it wasn't.  It was bought because it was Superman.  And there have been better games that I enjoyed that sold less than a million copies.

According to VGC numbers it didn't even manage half a million.

If VGChartz is your God, I will humbly respect that. 

Around the Network

So now we've got to the route of what is troubling Living Metal and Edgeoflife.  Sorry for entering what I thought might be a genuine debate when in fact is proven to be 2 PS3 trolls stirring for the sake of it. 

Heres a fact, the 360 exclusives all sell better than their PS3 counterparts, now we know why you're both desperate to try and make this seem bad/wrong.

LivingMetal said:

Did you really not think I was going to look that one up?

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

slowmo said:

So now we've got to the route of what is troubling Living Metal and Edgeoflife.  Sorry for entering what I thought might be a genuine debate when in fact is proven to be 2 PS3 trolls stirring for the sake of it. 

Heres a fact, the 360 exclusives all sell better than their PS3 counterparts, now we know why you're both desperate to try and make this seem bad/wrong.

*cough* Alan wake *cough* crackdown *cough* Forza *cough* Ninety-Nine Nights *cough* 

sorry seem to be comming down with something, and for the I record I'm not the one that brought console sales into the thread

dsister said:
LivingMetal said:

Did you really not think I was going to look that one up?

Hey, it's not my fault this site doesn't always reflex the numbers in true life.  If you haven't notice, it normally happens around here.

Edgeoflife said:
slowmo said:

*cough* Alan wake *cough* crackdown *cough* Forza *cough* Ninety-Nine Nights *cough* 

soory seem to be comming down with something, and for the I record I'm not the one that brought console sales into the thread

Thank you.  I would choose Alan Wake and Lost Odyssey over Halo anyday.