By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Duke Nukem Forever - OMG!!!

Well, if they have some people working on it for 10 years, at least the storyline and the levels will be well plotted out by now.

For the record, the high definition video shows Duke is curling 300 pounds and each plate is "Heavy, 100 pounds", so benching somewhere around 2,000. This is what happens when you take steroids in every level of your last game.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Around the Network

I think it's a bit of time to explain some Mystique of Duke Nukem to the children.

Truth be told, I only played the shareware versions of Duke Nukem 1 and 2, which wide side scrolling shooters. Know what shareware is? Find out.

Then we get into Duke Nukem 3d. It was a sprite based FPS, came out same year as Quake 1, which wasn't so sprite based. Awesome time to be a computer nerd! Anyhow, Duke was soo over the top it's not even funny. One liners everywhere! Naked chicks! Strippers you can through cash at and they'll jiggle for you! A FMV sequence where he actually rips off the bosses head and shits down his neck! You see the marine from Doom, cut in half. You take steroids to move faster. This is the Lobo of the video game universe.

It was just a fun game, full of rediculousness, pop culture, and about 7 different expansion packs that were all just as over the top.

But the customization and map editor? Unreal. You can add your own sprites, own triggers. This was the game that made me fascinated with level design, and I still am to this day. However, Duke3d is the only level editor I spent hours with. Possibly my favourite, and easy to get started, tough to master.

The game had : a fun playstyle, ridiculous over the top humour, inventive weapons/items, pop culture references, awesome customization tools provided, FMV, expansions up the Wazoo, and of course, topless chicks tied up in vines and strippers who will juggle for that oddly infinite wad of cash you carry. Also, with jetpacks, often multiple paths. Hate to say it, I didn't even cover everything noteworthy about the game, made, in 1996. Best game ever? Hardly. But it was different, and it was special.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Can you believe that we actually got a chance to play Duke Nukem Forever in our life time?
It has become a urban legend, it's like Roswell, it's like Atlantis, it's like Elvis still alive

Telling me that i can play Duke Nukem Forever in 2008, it's like telling me that the Roswell aliens will fly me to Atlantis , to dinner with Elvis

I wrote this up in another forum, pretty much a simpler version of the text from wikipedia

April 28, 1997 - Game announced for Quake II engine, planned release no later than mid-1998
November 1997 - Finally got access to the Quake II engine code

early/mid 1998 - first video footage released at E3 1998
June 1998 - switched to Epic's Unreal Engine, schedule of release pushed to 1999

mid 1999 - switched to newer unreal engine
November/December 1999 - screenshots released, 2000 release suggested

December 2000 - 2001 release suggested, and switched to "Gathering of Developers" as publisher

May 2001 - At E3, a second video was shown with in-game vids
August 2001 - Gathering of Developers shut down, Take-Two took over

2002 - new programmers rewrite several game engines including renderer. Most of the game up to this point was scrapped to make way for the next gen

May 2003 - CEO of Take Two said that it wouldn't be out by the end of 2003, and game directer said "Take Two needs to STFU imo"
December 2003 - expected to be finished by end of 2004, or early 2005

September 2004 - changed physics engine

April 2005 - suggestion that it'd appear at E3 2005, didn't happen

February 2006 - Director reported that everything was together and in full production; the guns, creatures and everything else had been finished and it was now being tweaked and polished
April 2006 - Director demonstrates an early level of the game, and a few other demo areas
June 2006 - Take Two offered director $500k to get it out by December 2006, he said it wouldn't happen
August 2006 - several key emplyees left 3d realms, delays because of this were denied

January and May 2007 - small screenshots were posted by the director
July 2007 - two more screenshots released
Decmber 19 2007 - new teaser released, director states that all other media is no longer relevant, including 2001 trailer. A brand new trailer is expected to be coming in the next few months

So yeh, don't expect a 2008 release, we have had trailers before

Hail to the King, baby.

Around the Network

I am so happy that I don't care about Duke Nukem at all. I would have killed myself about 10 years ago after it hadn't been released for 4 years already LOL

OMG LOL! They did a poll on Gamefaqs:

Now that there's a teaser trailer, when do you think Duke Nukem Forever will be released?

Early 2008, it's just a few months away 3.04%
Late 2008, we'll have it next Christmas 18.88%
In 2009, it's still over a year away 14.73%
2010 or later, 13 years of work just isn't enough 23.89%
Never, it's not going to happen 39.46%

Duke Of Darkness said:
I will buy this game just to see if that extra developing was worth it.

I'll get it just to own the slowest developed game in history...

haha, yeah the other trailer listed on that GT page is dated 2004.

I really loved Duke Nukem 3d back in the day though, would be nice if DNF actually did come out. I remember first hearing about it coming out years and years ago, haha.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

in what engine is running DNF?