By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Future of Game sales - BBCNews

This is bullshit, it is suggesting a 70% win for PS3...

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network
stof said:
I still don't get that chart. But the article it's based on didn't seem to have any understanding of the current console race. They only mention the current consoles when talking about online, stating that the 360 has the best and Nintendo's suck (which is true). They don't even mention the Wii's features, or how the consoles are even doing. I think this article was written pre-E3 and sat on until a slow period.

The chart represents all Game sales as a total, and each colour is the proportion of sales from each console

I would agree with you that the chart does not seem to represent what has actually happened (see 2006/2007), and may have been out dated before it was used

The article talked about the game business getting far too expensive for developers this generation, so any console able to produce games cheaper with a large user base will have the edge when is come to profits and exclusives

StarcraftManiac said:

This is bullshit, it is suggesting a 70% win for PS3...

I don't think the chart ever suggests software sales for the PS3 will reach a level of 70%. The highest point only appears to be about 50% of total software sales.

some analyst put this together, nothing to do with the journalist.  he just dug up some old figure.

don't know when the guy put it together, but there's the "forecast" line at 2007. those figures are obviously way off mark.

so best guess the guy put it together sometime before wii became a success.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Considering it said the Wii software was actually selling in 2005....

Around the Network

"I like the chart. That is what I've felt will happen. The PS3 will take off holiday 2007, and the Wii will falter, and with the PS3 taking off, the 360 will take a hit. That chart is what I think things will look like."

You mean you like the nonsense spewed off of the chart. I admit, it must look fantastic for a Sony nut like yourself, but I seriously doubt the accuracy of the chart, or the relevance of the data.

Since when did the PS3 and Wii start selling games in 2005? Must've missed those launches...

I went to the site of Screendigest and the graph is most likely from this report:

http://www.screendigest.com/reports/07nextgencons/readmore/view.html

Of course I can't read it since it's not free, but the free sample shows the report is from January 2007. And since it will take a while to write a report I think it's safe to say this report takes none or almost none of the actual sales data from Wii and PS3 into account. 

The chart does not show that the Wii and PS3 had sales in 2005.  It only has one data point per year, and the lines in between are only meant to guide the eye.  If you look at 2005, the Wii and PS3 are at 0.  At 2006, they have some sales, because they launched in November 2006.  There is filled-in area in between because that's the layout of the chart.

Is this chart meant to reflect worldwide sales or European sales (or even UK sales)?  Just wondering since it comes from BBCNews.

One thing to consider is analysts have a very strange way of including data which isn't very important ...

If you read some of their reports they will make assumptions like "15 Million people will buy the PS3 in the first 12 months because of its strong brand" which are generally not true. This is why there are analyst reports that state that the PSP would have a strong worldwide lead by the end of 2006 even though the opposite was actually true.