By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft: the great negotiators?

Microsoft is buying their way into the market. I have no doubts or reservations about this fact. Buying exclusive content, paying to get a game on their system and advertising are just a few of the legitimate ways they are doing so.

The real question is how much of their money is going to sabotage efforts of the other consoles?

Microsoft has long been known for shady business practices and I wouldn't put it past them to have manufactured some of these glitches in PS3 and Wii versions of game that are multiplat. (The real question to me is how much did they pay Activision to fuck up GH3 and Rockband?)

I think that this type of thing is abhorent (not to mention illeagal) and I become more certain that this is happenening each time a new glitch or missing feature appears that doesn't affect the 360 version.

Around the Network

The only thing MS is skilled at is showing up at meetings with a sack that has a dollar sign on it.

@eugene

You know if it wasnt for sony square would have gone bankrupt and dissapeared.

mM

If I offered Rockstar $50m to make GTA exclusive content for the 3DO they would probably agree.

leo-j said:
@eugene

You know if it wasnt for sony square would have gone bankrupt and dissapeared.

Is that true? Ive honestly never heard that. The only two times ive heard of Square being in financial trouble was with the release of the first FF which saved them, and after the Spirits within which I think brought about the merger with Enix.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

Around the Network

How would square have bankrupt? Square made money in the NES days and a lot more money in the SNES days. If Sony never made a system, Nintendo and Sega what have split the market someway and Square would have made even more money than in its SNES days by making games for 1 or both of those systems.

Leo, you seem to have completely pulled that thought from no where.

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Pity Nintendo lacks this charisma, though after two generations of screwing over third party developers its hard not to see why many are so hesitant to adopt the Wii.

And Leo-J is actually right for once, Square was facing bankrupcy for the second time when they went to Sony (first time was before they released the first Final Fantasy and the third was when Enix bought them out).

Onimusha12 said:

Pity Nintendo lacks this charisma, though after two generations of screwing over third party developers its hard not to see why many are so hesitant to adopt the Wii.

And Leo-J is actually right for once, Square was facing bankrupcy for the second time when they went to Sony (first time was before they released the first Final Fantasy and the third was when Enix bought them out).

Wow i didnt know that, how come they had financial troubles before they released FF7? (Im presuming this is the first game they released for sony). Id have thought games like the early FFS and chrono trigger were successful enough to ensure no financial troubles.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

Bladeneo said:
Onimusha12 said:

Wow i didnt know that, how come they had financial troubles before they released FF7? (Im presuming this is the first game they released for sony). Id have thought games like the early FFS and chrono trigger were successful enough to ensure no financial troubles.

They had financial troubles before they released FF7, was because their financial problems occured before the release of the first Final Fantasy. As the story goes about how FF got it's name, goes, FF was make or break for Square, their final fantasy. Next time they ran into financial trouble, was after Spirits Within, when Sony helped them by buying a share from Square. And the last time Enix merged with Square. So you could say, that without Nintendo, Sony and Enix, Square would have bancrupted. @Onimusha: Make that 3 generations. The first one was for saving the videogame industry in the US, second was to keep the dominant position and high quality and the third was to wipe out the competition and keep high quality on all the games on the platform by having comparative insane requirements for developers. But, Nintendo learned a lot from N64 and it's competition, which is proved by Nintendo not having any trouble getting good 3rd party support for GC:s launch. You could say that Nintendo did everything right with Gamecube, but competition just did better.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

I completely disagree.
MS is not a great negotiator, at all. Unless you think paying insane amount of money is being a good negotiator.
MS true strength is the fact that they can spend a lot of money to buy their way into some market. There is no negotiating in that.
I don't call paying $50 M to get exclusive GTA4 content, being good negotiator.
I don't call having to pay all the development for japanese games, being a good negotiator.
And I don't see a good negotiator home console maker losing $7 B dollars to this day on a console brand.

On the other hand, I always was amazed by how good negotiators 3rd parties (or even 1st parties) could be and scam MS into paying huge amount of money, far above the value of what they get in the end. That goes for Nintendo and Rare, Take Two and GTA4, Mistwalker and their JRPG, Namco for Trusty Bell, ...

Talking about goodies, I'm still always amazed by how blinded the MS followers are. That's something they are very good at too, blinding their followers. I'm thinking specifically of the Blue Dragon anime series. When it was announced and the first episode went to the XBL, I saw the first part of it, and thought : this is basically a crap anime, no one could ever call that enticing... to then hear the XBox followers call this anime very good... No need to say it had the life of a crappy anime series that it is. I don't know about the Viva Pinata cartoon, as I don't like cartoon, and couldn't give a good advice on it.
But that's just to say they throw money at anything, hoping for it to work. Sometimes it does, and that's their "strength".