By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft: the great negotiators?

Yeah I would have to agree. MS has done a fantastic job of luring 3rd parties, even on xbox.

They has have done a very good job at marketing. Halo 3. Is there need for another example. Also, your japan event above is an example of this. Even in a country where the can sell more in 2 weeks in US than the entire lifetime, they still hold major marketing events to try to push the brand.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

There is no concrete proof to verify this, but there is so much anecdotal and partial evidence: the GTA IV situation, where they managed to not only secure a day-and-date simultaneous release, but also to secure exclusive content; the Guitar Hero and Madden ads, which prominently displayed the Xbox360 logo and managed to help secure the Xbox360 as THE Madden-system of choice for the generation; the system bundles with third party software such as Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, and even this recent public event in Japan:

You say this as if MS is the only game company guilty of this.  Have you seen the Assassin's Creed or CoD4 commercials?  There's the Sony 'Ding!' at the beginning, then gameplay, then a flash of the logo, and a guy's voice that says "Playstation 3".  It doesn't say 'only for--' but it doesn't even show the logo for MS.

rasone77 said:
Microsoft is buying their way into the market. I have no doubts or reservations about this fact. Buying exclusive content, paying to get a game on their system and advertising are just a few of the legitimate ways they are doing so.

The real question is how much of their money is going to sabotage efforts of the other consoles?

Microsoft has long been known for shady business practices and I wouldn't put it past them to have manufactured some of these glitches in PS3 and Wii versions of game that are multiplat. (The real question to me is how much did they pay Activision to fuck up GH3 and Rockband?)

I think that this type of thing is abhorent (not to mention illeagal) and I become more certain that this is happenening each time a new glitch or missing feature appears that doesn't affect the 360 version.

Wow, you might want to check your tinfoil hat to make sure it's not malfunctioning.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

While I agree with the majority here that MS is not the best of company's, anyone thinking Sony doesn't do similar things by "buying exclusives" is just plain living in a fantasy world. They both have money, they both use "shaddy business practices" (like that even matters in the business world...), and they both should have $ in their names (M$ and $ony respectively). Has anyone seen the recent PS3 ads? They're awesome for the most part, and anytime a third-party multi-platform game has been shown, the "Playstation 3" symbol in all its Spiderman 3 font glory appears on the screen at the end of the commercial. Does anyone really think they didn't spend money to have their name in the spot a la MS did with Guitar Hero 2/Madden? Please people, stop being so naive!

I'm sorry, but this "MS is evil, and Sony is an angel" stuff is silly and people believing it should really fact-check their opinions and really see what each company does to get games on their respective consoles. Neither Sony or MS are honest companies. Please learn to realize this.

I would wager that if it were possible to see what goes on inside these "dealings", you will find in the end the two companies are really not that different from one another in their practices (in fact, I would bet they're exactly the same...they both use this thing called...money!). Might be a humbling experience actually for some on here that are clinging to one company as "the savior", while at the same time disregarding anything from the "other companies". Not only will you find that that view point is downright stupid, but you'll finally be able to try out the "other consoles". They're gigantic comapnies people...they want to make money; anything else they tell you is PR fodder that should be taken with a truck-load of salt (in other words, as a whole, the company doesn't care that much about us gamers...they just want our dollars/yen/pounds/euros/etc, and as long as they're getting that they'll keep doing what they're doing). End of story.

ookaze said:
I completely disagree.
MS is not a great negotiator, at all. Unless you think paying insane amount of money is being a good negotiator.
MS true strength is the fact that they can spend a lot of money to buy their way into some market. There is no negotiating in that.
I don't call paying $50 M to get exclusive GTA4 content, being good negotiator.
I don't call having to pay all the development for japanese games, being a good negotiator.
And I don't see a good negotiator home console maker losing $7 B dollars to this day on a console brand.

On the other hand, I always was amazed by how good negotiators 3rd parties (or even 1st parties) could be and scam MS into paying huge amount of money, far above the value of what they get in the end. That goes for Nintendo and Rare, Take Two and GTA4, Mistwalker and their JRPG, Namco for Trusty Bell, ...

Talking about goodies, I'm still always amazed by how blinded the MS followers are. That's something they are very good at too, blinding their followers. I'm thinking specifically of the Blue Dragon anime series. When it was announced and the first episode went to the XBL, I saw the first part of it, and thought : this is basically a crap anime, no one could ever call that enticing... to then hear the XBox followers call this anime very good... No need to say it had the life of a crappy anime series that it is. I don't know about the Viva Pinata cartoon, as I don't like cartoon, and couldn't give a good advice on it.
But that's just to say they throw money at anything, hoping for it to work. Sometimes it does, and that's their "strength".

Oh please, you can say that about all the console makers. cough/killzone/cough/wiifit/cough 

The fact of the matter is Microsoft is now using many of the same tactics Sony used to use. The difference now is that Sony can hardly afford those tactics, whereas MS has more than enough cash to sustain this strategy. Although I would say part of the reason Sony is approaching this gen differently is how they turned far less profit than you would have expected given their market share during the previous gens.

Basically Sony wizened up and decided that focusing on inhouse development could turn them bigger profits than an all out rush for market share, ala Nintendo. Then again, it doesn't look like this is working for them as much as you would think for reasons I wont go into here. Also the PS1 and PS2 strategy did wonders for Sony from a PR perspective and created a dedicated fanbase - something that MS is keen on imitating.

Edit; Hockeyman is my new favorite poster

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

Look at EA, there was a time when Microsoft was practically begging EA to make EA Sports games for the Xbox 1. Now EA and Microsoft are very close and the exact same thing appears to now be happening with Square Enix. Square Enix showing up at Microsoft's press event at the Tokyo Game Show says a lot considering during the Xbox 1 days they weren't even on speaking terms.

Blue Dragon's Anime has the life of a crappy anime... so... it already has 60+ episodes and they still haven't accomplished their original goal?

Legend11 said:
Look at EA, there was a time when Microsoft was practically begging EA to make EA Sports games for the Xbox 1. Now EA and Microsoft are very close and the exact same thing appears to now be happening with Square Enix. Square Enix showing up at Microsoft's press event at the Tokyo Game Show says a lot considering during the Xbox 1 days they weren't even on speaking terms.

Aside from the Dreamcast is there an established console for which EA hasn't make games?  EA is close to all 3 console makers.  Square Enix and Nintendo used to not be on speaking terms either but now they are close (especially the Enix half it seems).

For the most part 3rd parties care about money, money, money.  Whether that is the money a 1st party throws at them for exclusivity or because of the sales they can get on their console that is what thye care about.  MS and  Nintendo can both make a lot more money for a 3rd party than last gen so 3rd parties are closer to them and further from Sony.  Also MS has boatloads of cash to throw at them which is something Nintendo hasn't been doing so far.

ookaze said:
I completely disagree.
MS is not a great negotiator, at all. Unless you think paying insane amount of money is being a good negotiator.
MS true strength is the fact that they can spend a lot of money to buy their way into some market. There is no negotiating in that.
I don't call paying $50 M to get exclusive GTA4 content, being good negotiator.
I don't call having to pay all the development for japanese games, being a good negotiator.
And I don't see a good negotiator home console maker losing $7 B dollars to this day on a console brand.

On the other hand, I always was amazed by how good negotiators 3rd parties (or even 1st parties) could be and scam MS into paying huge amount of money, far above the value of what they get in the end. That goes for Nintendo and Rare, Take Two and GTA4, Mistwalker and their JRPG, Namco for Trusty Bell, ...

Talking about goodies, I'm still always amazed by how blinded the MS followers are. That's something they are very good at too, blinding their followers. I'm thinking specifically of the Blue Dragon anime series. When it was announced and the first episode went to the XBL, I saw the first part of it, and thought : this is basically a crap anime, no one could ever call that enticing... to then hear the XBox followers call this anime very good... No need to say it had the life of a crappy anime series that it is. I don't know about the Viva Pinata cartoon, as I don't like cartoon, and couldn't give a good advice on it.
But that's just to say they throw money at anything, hoping for it to work. Sometimes it does, and that's their "strength".

As usually you seem to believe your opinions are facts.

How blinded? Your an a$$ if ive ever seen one.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

I would say its more of the fact that MS has to rely on 3rd parties and so that is their focus. Nintendo and Sony have gotten to the point where they make a lot of the best games on their systems, MS does not have that yet.

So to a degree, Nintendo and Sony were relying a lot on their own games whereas MS had to go outside and get games from others.

However, MS is good in this kind of game, in my experience, most large western companies like MS are extremely good at interacting with other companies and using their expertise in distribution/capital/etc to bring them onto their side. Contrast this with Nintendo who is still extremely insular.