By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NGP could outperform 3DS if price, innovation and games are right

disolitude said:

I don't know if these games matter to be honest.

The thing is, none of those games are great portable games... Super Mario Bros, Monster Hunter, Nintendogs, Pokemon, Brainage will move much more units than any of those games.

Both NGP and 3DS will come very strongly out of the gate but unless Sony quickly learns how to make good portable and casual games, they will not stand a chance to beat 3DS.

I say that because Sony needs to have the edge in those games to at least stand a chance. Apart from Monster Hunter those are the only things likely to sell PSPs. Maybe LBP. Not Uncharted.

Around the Network
Soleron said:
disolitude said:

I don't know if these games matter to be honest.

The thing is, none of those games are great portable games... Super Mario Bros, Monster Hunter, Nintendogs, Pokemon, Brainage will move much more units than any of those games.

Both NGP and 3DS will come very strongly out of the gate but unless Sony quickly learns how to make good portable and casual games, they will not stand a chance to beat 3DS.

I say that because Sony needs to have the edge in those games to at least stand a chance. Apart from Monster Hunter those are the only things likely to sell PSPs. Maybe LBP. Not Uncharted.

Right, I agree there...yeah if they can deliver a cross platform play with Ps3 and get a lot of PS3 ports which can't be played on 3DS...plus have the android marketplace to satisfy the casual gaming needs they could do better than PSP did for sure. 3DS I don't think will do as good as DS, but 100 million sold in 5 years for that console is a given...

irstupid said:

POINLTESS QUESTIONS

ah damn work and having caps lock on for it.  but that question  will come down to peronal bias.  you will have tons saying those game NEEEEEEEEEEEEED the best graphics in the world.  you will have tons saying whichever system they PREFER.  You will have those saying ....., you get the point.

I mean best like the many games on the PS3/360 are vs. the Wii. The Wii gets inferior ports or spinoffs. Which of the two will companies decide is the 'spinoff' platform. As I said I doubt they'll get the same games or both have AAA main series games in parallel. One of them will be weaker due to being made by a B team.

the DS has had a main dragon quest game on it.  neither has had a main any of the others you listed. they have all been spin offs essentially.  So tough to say whichever gets them wins, cause in past neither had them at all, again besides dragon quest.

One of them will be weaker. Their hardware is too different to make the same experience on both and fans will not be happy if there are equal-importance games split between them. Imagine MGS4 being on PS3 then MGS5 being a 360 exclusive.

btw what does AC stand for?  only thing i can think of is assassins creed, but not sure why you would bring up that mediocre game, so guessing it must be something else.

Yes, Assassins Creed.

I don't like any of the games listed, nor are they system sellers alone, but if 3DS gets all of them while NGP gets few then there's not much chance for Sony. If NGP gets better installments they have a chance. The odds are stacked so 3DS is favoured due to first party anyway.

the reason the wii succeeded and the ps3 failed is exactly the opposite of what is happening now with the 3ds and ngp. Wii was able to hit the jackpot and get the casual crowd with their innovative control. How in the hell is sony going to get any new potential coustomers with the NGP. It won't attract casuals because they don't want to play console games on their portables. It won't attract tech geeks because they want their portabable to be all in one. It will only attract hardcore gamers. 

I for one can't wait for the device because I've wanted a psp for a while and i enjoy the thought of a portable console gaming experience. But I'm worried what will happen to support if the sales are terrible. The sony fans will buy this. But PS2 to PS3 sales proved that most console owners aren't fans of a particular brand, they get the console they believe is best for them regardless of the brand. Hopefully sony will suprise us with future announcements because from what we know now, this is a "hardcore gamer's" dream gadget but really irrelevent to everyone else.

I would be shocked if ShopTo marketing manager's prediction of £199.99 launch price is right. That would be the price advantage NGP needed to outperform 3DS since 3DS is £229.99 at launch.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Around the Network
enrageorange said:

the reason the wii succeeded and the ps3 failed is exactly the opposite of what is happening now with the 3ds and ngp. Wii was able to hit the jackpot and get the casual crowd with their innovative control. How in the hell is sony going to get any new potential coustomers with the NGP. It won't attract casuals because they don't want to play console games on their portables. It won't attract tech geeks because they want their portabable to be all in one. It will only attract hardcore gamers. 

I for one can't wait for the device because I've wanted a psp for a while and i enjoy the thought of a portable console gaming experience. But I'm worried what will happen to support if the sales are terrible. The sony fans will buy this. But PS2 to PS3 sales proved that most console owners aren't fans of a particular brand, they get the console they believe is best for them regardless of the brand. Hopefully sony will suprise us with future announcements because from what we know now, this is a "hardcore gamer's" dream gadget but really irrelevent to everyone else.

That's a good point. Neither of these devices have anything announced that will cause their base to grow. If you're not growing, you're stagnant.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

M.U.G.E.N said:

oh trust me, ask anyone who visited Sony forums post-E3 last year..there were plenty of threads / posts on it :) Searching for threads on this site is hell if not I would have looked some up for you (seriously, I even predicted Tales of G F will come to the west when everyone said no, tried to find that thread for AGES :( ) but trust me, not making this up, it was utterly annoying...if you look above you can see even darth is agreeing to it...Patchy joined the doom and gloom way later, but he is an idiot and I expect no less of him..on ANY matter.

Like I said it may or may not happen...can go either way, completely ignoring the possibility makes no sense no does it?

and no, sony fans weren't happy about ps3 release like this..AT ALL. Most even jumped ship to other consoles. So far there has been absolutely nothing for fans to complain about. See I'm referring to fans and not fanboys. I think sony effed up ps3 launch big time...they could have done way better with psp too....but so far they have done many things right, heck even the few titles we know of, I predicted most of them :P (was more like a wishlist)

The reason why wii has such a huge lead over ps3 is simply because sony messed up with ps3, plain and simple. Again, keep an open mind about this, anything can happen, and I personally hope both do really well.

psp was not a failure, it doesn't have to beat DS and have the same success story of ps1/2 of beating Ninty to be considered a success. For sony it's a success, hence the NGP. And if you read dev interviews, there were quotes where they said how they made money off of psp as well, which should be obvious by the huge line of dev support NGP is getting 'already' ...I think it will be close 100 when it's all said and done (5bp just hinted about NGP as well btw)

And I 'personally' think Ninty are doing some mistakes with their device already..but getting into that cuz it will take us in a whole different direction so I don't want to get into it here

Well, I haven't been following many other forums, but that point is relatively irrelevant (xD) anyway. I'm not ignoring the possibility, but it's pointless to consider it when there is little reason for it. Also, I realize we actually jumped onto lots of irrelevant arguments here, :P.

Failure depends on the objective. A failure should generally be considered something that did not achieve its goal. Sony never outright stated "our goal is to crush Nintendo!", but they never said that they were just looking for a relatively profitable product with decent numbers either. Before its release, Sony may have seriously intended to take the handheld market as they had done the home console market with the PSP.

NGP may be getting a lot of support, but that was expected after the way developers held on to the PS3 despite the pain it gave them in 2007-8. Admittedly, NGP is doing a lot of things right, but, since this time 3DS is getting more support relatively than DS did the PSP, that says little about its ability to outsell the 3DS. And, just for the record, there's plenty that NGP's doing wrong as well, :P, but let's not go into that.

I respect your opinion, though. Never hurts to keep an open mind, :D.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Yeah games are definitely important. It really needs that big killer app that can sell systems (DS had Nintendogs as a new IP killer app, then old massive hits like NSMB DS, Pokemon and so on). Basically PSP never did have one of those if we look at its software sales, the closest was the GTA games.

And now in the last two years PSP is just JRPG heaven (thats why I re-bought one after being initially disappointed).

Neither 3DS nor NGP have interested me that much so far, neither are on my to buy list, especially not with the way PS3 and PC (especially PC games line up is so awesome for this year) line up is shaping up this year.

i have to agree with everything you said and more, but theres one thing i left out?

all 20 have to be new IP'S as they will have and atlest 15 have to be published by Sony! i demand alot?

i bought a PS3 knowing Sony would do it for that system and at that time the big3 only needed 8 games (only one manufacture failed at reaching eight), and as we both know Sony well surpassed that!

i'm not as optomistic about NGP reaching this mark as i was about PS3, but they just may do it nad i'll be a handheld gamer and owner for the first time if Sony can do it.

not a fan of 3d so i won't be getting a 3ds.

You are demanding but I guess if that does happen then it proves 2 things:

1. SONY is hell bent upon supporting the product and wants to deliver new experiences 

2. Developers are also willing to support the product and are producing good breakthrough titles instead of PS3 ports etc

I agree SONY really really went all the way with PS3, I think one of the reasons is the high price of the PS3 and initial awful sales (it was selling worse than GBA for its first year!!!!). Who knows if we'll see the same with NGP.

I just hope SONY can divide resources between NGP and PS3 in a fair way. I do not want PS3 line up compromised for NGP.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

M.U.G.E.N said:
darthdevidem01 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

no way..NGP was dead on arrival last year when we knew jack about it remember? It won't have dev support yada yada yada :D oh good times of fanboy threads

Sony has done everything right so far, games are good (from what lil we know of it)....dev support has been nothing but impressive so far, features fans asked for plus things that actually create interesting gameplay possibilities....

So who knows...I fully expect NGP to do better than the PSP...but DS brand name is huge...but then again, this is an industry where leaders fall from former grace all the time..tho some tend to forget that

oh and I think NGP and PS Suit are a combo package in their plan...time will tell how it works out

Oh that was so hilarious post last E3.

I enjoyed it so much cus I was a PSP hater until 6 months ago trololol.

Anyway its clear now NGP will be anything but dead, Japan alone will prevent that.

yep post E3 was annoying for me tho :P but it brings some good laughs now

lol at least now you have it, you have seen the light

yep and tbh that's what matters if you are fan of the psp line..if NGP is looking to be anything but dead, it will have support..and devs are lining up one after another to say how easy it is to make games for it..and PS Suit is the other end of Sony's approach, this will ensure a steady stream of games for Android (think it supports other OS's too, not sure) plus NGP. I can't wait to get mine :D

oh and as Darth Kun knows, Kojima-sama aka GOD himself is supporting it! That's all we need to know

I think I remember you being pretty annoyed then, and even till the first leaked spec rumors of NGP started coming out that kinda silenced those vocal people.

I await Kojima-San's (we must call him san not sama...unless sama is more respectful!) game reveal for NGP, hopefully this E3. Oh and square-enix you know just do a UPGRADE port of Type-0 to it and I'll be getting NGP the day type 0 launches on it.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Why are so many people bringing the Wii and PS3 into this? This has just become a huge explosion of fanboys for Sony and Nintendo. Like I prefer Sony, but you guys are going crazy.