By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NGP could outperform 3DS if price, innovation and games are right

Sony with NGP has the potential to outsell the 3DS, I say this with confidence because there are several things Sony has done right with the NGP, while at the same time there are several things Nintendo has done wrong.

The greatest asset the 3DS has is its autostereoscopic screen, but it's also its greatest weakness. In fact it's a weakness that could cripple the 3DS if the market receives the 3D gimmick poorly. Apart from this weakness the 3DS also has other deficiencies which I'll also address in point form below.

1. The autostereoscopic screen used in the 3DS is crap...well not crap but premature.

The one key problem with 3D among others is cross talk, it's a common issue with 3D TV's, but more so with glassless 3D. I bring this up as game journo's have touched upon this, the key problem I've read and listen to is that the 3DS has to be held constantly at a certain distance for your eyes in order 3D effect to work effectively, any movements made cause cross talk and this break the 3D effect, unfortunately this is counter intuitive for a portable console, hence why I said that the screen used is premature.

To make things worse, 3D brings further issues to the 3DS, things like Eye strain and Nausea, again all this is counter intuitive and something the market will criticize, just as it's happening in the 3D TV market.

2.3DS sacrificed screen resolution for the 3D effect.

Really, I remember developer talking about the issue with jaggies as they are more noticeable in 3D, for the time being I'll assume that Nintendo will mandate that all 3DS games have at least x2 AA, but if not, all I can say is 'chain saw to the eyes'.

Apart from 3D games, there will be other features of the machine such as web browsing that will be crap, here 3D has no affect, and the only requirement is resolution as text needs to be sharp. I know most will disregard web browsing but it is a feature Nintendo is touting and one you can do while in game, plus these day with smart phone being the rage, and web browsing being so common on them, the 3DS by default will be inferior and this again comes down to the premature screen tech Nintendo have chosen for the 3DS.

3. 3DS uses resistative touch instead of capacitive touch.

I'm sorry, but using a stylus in 2011 is a joke. People have been conditioned by smart phone to use there fingers to do almost everything on their phones, there was no reason to forgo capacitive touch as this would have allowed people to use both their fingers for new games and stylus for the old games. There’s a reason why capacitive touch is superior, not only is sensitive but it easily allows for multiple touch inputs.

4. Single analogue

Since the launch of the PSP, people have been demanding a second analogue stick, why, because certain genres are gimped with out them. Guess what, now people are saying the same thing about the 3DS, I'm sorry but saying that the touch screen is a good enough is a joke, as soon as you use the touch screen you lose access to the all the buttons on the right hand side of the console, this in no way is beneficial to genres like shooter or action games

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The NGP side of things, Sony has addressed allot of things which in effect make it a much better handheld

1. Beautiful 5" high rez OLED screen.

With a screen like this watching movies, playing games and web browsing will be very good as things will be crisp and sharp. Not much to say, but then again in a market with smart phone and tablets, this is just the standard.

2. Easy development.

Development has always been hard on Sony platforms, either because exotic hardware, or because tools where lacking, however, according many developers, the NGP is easy to develop further more Sony has made it even easier for devs to make multiplatform games from360/PS3 with the tools they've provided. The point of this is to ensure they bring over the western developers to the hand held market, just as the PS3/360 brought over many wester developers to the console space as many of them in the PS2 days where mainly PC developers only.

3. Multi touch screen Multi touch track pad.

With this Sony has ensured that the NGP can play any touch games developed on the 3DS or any smart phone, which is where the PSP failed to-do. Not only that but the track pad will enable the NGP to have games which control unique to it's self and can not be replicated on any other platform.

4. Dual analogue sticks.

This will allow all genres on the console space to work on the NGP, not only that but this time PS3/360 ports will actually work on the NGP rather than being gimped. Now while many will say that the handhelds should not have PS3/360 port, the question is why?

If the ports work just as the console counter part, and there is a market for it, then there is no problem, at the end of the day ports don't mean there will no other games made for it, in fact any game made on the 3DS will work on the NGP as this time round Sony's console has all the controller input that the 3DS has just with out the 3D effect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With all of that Said, if the 3DS didn't have the 3D screen the NGP would honestly be the only console of choice as it does everything the 3DS does but better, Nintendo saving grace, and the gimmick their betting on is the 3D screen, perhaps they can hit another home run as they've done with the DS and Wii, but given the 3DS premature screen tech I see Sony having the chance to topple Nintendo.

At the end of the day the market will decide which will be the leading hand held console, for the time being we are forced to take the wait and see approach.

My 2 cents.

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
dunuck said:

[snip]

I hate to burst your bubble, but virtually everyone here knows that, including the people you just quoted.  That's not the entirety of the story either.

I know i would assume this being a gaming centric site, it would be common knowledge

To me it was just so funny in the way his post completely ignored the past, and yeah it was just a brefing for the wikipedia story. I find vey amusiong thta noboidy in here thought something like wtf is he saying

jake_the_fake1 said:

Sony with NGP has the potential to outsell the 3DS, I say this with confidence because there are several things Sony has done right with the NGP, while at the same time there are several things Nintendo has done wrong.

The greatest asset the 3DS has is its autostereoscopic screen, but it's also its greatest weakness. In fact it's a weakness that could cripple the 3DS if the market receives the 3D gimmick poorly. Apart from this weakness the 3DS also has other deficiencies which I'll also address in point form below.

1. The autostereoscopic screen used in the 3DS is crap...well not crap but premature.

The one key problem with 3D among others is cross talk, it's a common issue with 3D TV's, but more so with glassless 3D. I bring this up as game journo's have touched upon this, the key problem I've read and listen to is that the 3DS has to be held constantly at a certain distance for your eyes in order 3D effect to work effectively, any movements made cause cross talk and this break the 3D effect, unfortunately this is counter intuitive for a portable console, hence why I said that the screen used is premature.

To make things worse, 3D brings further issues to the 3DS, things like Eye strain and Nausea, again all this is counter intuitive and something the market will criticize, just as it's happening in the 3D TV market.

2.3DS sacrificed screen resolution for the 3D effect.

Really, I remember developer talking about the issue with jaggies as they are more noticeable in 3D, for the time being I'll assume that Nintendo will mandate that all 3DS games have at least x2 AA, but if not, all I can say is 'chain saw to the eyes'.

Apart from 3D games, there will be other features of the machine such as web browsing that will be crap, here 3D has no affect, and the only requirement is resolution as text needs to be sharp. I know most will disregard web browsing but it is a feature Nintendo is touting and one you can do while in game, plus these day with smart phone being the rage, and web browsing being so common on them, the 3DS by default will be inferior and this again comes down to the premature screen tech Nintendo have chosen for the 3DS.

3. 3DS uses resistative touch instead of capacitive touch.

I'm sorry, but using a stylus in 2011 is a joke. People have been conditioned by smart phone to use there fingers to do almost everything on their phones, there was no reason to forgo capacitive touch as this would have allowed people to use both their fingers for new games and stylus for the old games. There’s a reason why capacitive touch is superior, not only is sensitive but it easily allows for multiple touch inputs.

4. Single analogue

Since the launch of the PSP, people have been demanding a second analogue stick, why, because certain genres are gimped with out them. Guess what, now people are saying the same thing about the 3DS, I'm sorry but saying that the touch screen is a good enough is a joke, as soon as you use the touch screen you lose access to the all the buttons on the right hand side of the console, this in no way is beneficial to genres like shooter or action games

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The NGP side of things, Sony has addressed allot of things which in effect make it a much better handheld

1. Beautiful 5" high rez OLED screen.

With a screen like this watching movies, playing games and web browsing will be very good as things will be crisp and sharp. Not much to say, but then again in a market with smart phone and tablets, this is just the standard.

2. Easy development.

Development has always been hard on Sony platforms, either because exotic hardware, or because tools where lacking, however, according many developers, the NGP is easy to develop further more Sony has made it even easier for devs to make multiplatform games from360/PS3 with the tools they've provided. The point of this is to ensure they bring over the western developers to the hand held market, just as the PS3/360 brought over many wester developers to the console space as many of them in the PS2 days where mainly PC developers only.

3. Multi touch screen Multi touch track pad.

With this Sony has ensured that the NGP can play any touch games developed on the 3DS or any smart phone, which is where the PSP failed to-do. Not only that but the track pad will enable the NGP to have games which control unique to it's self and can not be replicated on any other platform.

4. Dual analogue sticks.

This will allow all genres on the console space to work on the NGP, not only that but this time PS3/360 ports will actually work on the NGP rather than being gimped. Now while many will say that the handhelds should not have PS3/360 port, the question is why?

If the ports work just as the console counter part, and there is a market for it, then there is no problem, at the end of the day ports don't mean there will no other games made for it, in fact any game made on the 3DS will work on the NGP as this time round Sony's console has all the controller input that the 3DS has just with out the 3D effect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With all of that Said, if the 3DS didn't have the 3D screen the NGP would honestly be the only console of choice as it does everything the 3DS does but better, Nintendo saving grace, and the gimmick their betting on is the 3D screen, perhaps they can hit another home run as they've done with the DS and Wii, but given the 3DS premature screen tech I see Sony having the chance to topple Nintendo.

At the end of the day the market will decide which will be the leading hand held console, for the time being we are forced to take the wait and see approach.

My 2 cents.

Post of the Month!

People always tend to think that Nintendo has the better gameplay. But this time, NGP will have controls and gameplay much more superior than 3DS counterpart. You can touch the touchscreen and quickly after that, change back for O[ ]X/. Also you have a second analog. In 3DS you probably won't be able even to control the camera.

And I'm not even mentioning the touch in the back AND gyroscope, camera, etc....

The possibilities are almost unlimited compared to 3DS.

NGP will have Graphics AND Gameplay.

dunuck said:

I had to sign in just becuase this was so unresitable to responfd to literally spekaing

Sony were partnering with Nintendo to make the PlayStation. At CES Sony announced that they were making the PlayStation with Nintendo. It was meant to be a add on for the SNES to accept CD'S and Sony was going to make a all in one console, but Sony would get profits from it. But Nintendo was talking to Philips behind Sony's back and after Sony talked at CES, Nintendo back stabbed Sony and announced thy aren't working with Sony hours later.

Ken kutaragi, the guy behind the PS1, went to Norio Ohga and told him about it. He told him that Sony should make their own console, and Norio Ohga said "DO IT"

They then created the PSX, but scraped it and waited for the competition. They then released the PS1.

And that affects his statement how? The point is, PS1 had optical media, N64 didn't and, therefore, third parties went to PS1. Never mind why they didn't have it. Had Nintendo put a CD drive in the N64 - through a successful (see CDi, xD) deal with Philips, perhaps - there's a pretty good chance that they would've crushed Sony because of their established brand name and third party support.

P.S. I'm pretty sure that that story is common knowledge and that the guy you quoted already knew all about it.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Immortal said:
dunuck said:

I had to sign in just becuase this was so unresitable to responfd to literally spekaing

Sony were partnering with Nintendo to make the PlayStation. At CES Sony announced that they were making the PlayStation with Nintendo. It was meant to be a add on for the SNES to accept CD'S and Sony was going to make a all in one console, but Sony would get profits from it. But Nintendo was talking to Philips behind Sony's back and after Sony talked at CES, Nintendo back stabbed Sony and announced thy aren't working with Sony hours later.

Ken kutaragi, the guy behind the PS1, went to Norio Ohga and told him about it. He told him that Sony should make their own console, and Norio Ohga said "DO IT"

They then created the PSX, but scraped it and waited for the competition. They then released the PS1.

And that affects his statement how? The point is, PS1 had optical media, N64 didn't and, therefore, third parties went to PS1. Never mind why they didn't have it. Had Nintendo put a CD drive in the N64 - through a successful (see CDi, xD) deal with Philips, perhaps - there's a pretty good chance that they would've crushed Sony because of their established brand name and third party support.

P.S. I'm pretty sure that that story is common knowledge and that the guy you quoted already knew all about it.

I tend to not reply to Jarrod cuz he is almost impossible to argue with, not for the right reasons. That last remark he made was plain stupid.

That's like saying if Sony actually went ahead and put their move tech on the ps3 from the start or added it to the ps2 (actually yeah I think this would have been a better business desecion, and would have helped them stall ps3 release a bit), it would have kicked wii sales in the ass. Makes no sense now does it? It's done and over with. He just says things like that and defends ninty blindly and hence why people stepped up to reply to him. All i said was if sony made the right choices the 'gap' wouldn't be as big as it is now which should not be a hard concept to grasp.

Anywho it was me and you who had the lil discussion :) and I enjoyed it. Other than Acevil I don't have such discussions with many nintendo fans.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:

I tend to not reply to Jarrod cuz he is almost impossible to argue with, not for the right reasons. That last remark he made was plain stupid.

That's like saying if Sony actually went ahead and put their move tech on the ps3 from the start or added it to the ps2 (actually yeah I think this would have been a better business desecion, and would have helped them stall ps3 release a bit), it would have kicked wii sales in the ass. Makes no sense now does it? It's done and over with. He just says things like that and defends ninty blindly and hence why people stepped up to reply to him. All i said was if sony made the right choices the 'gap' wouldn't be as big as it is now which should not be a hard concept to grasp.

Anywho it was me and you who had the lil discussion :) and I enjoyed it. Other than Acevil I don't have such discussions with many nintendo fans.

Well, it was an unnecessary comment, but it's definitely a reasonable possibility. That Move thing - which, as a fanboy, I would criticize hugely with lots of arguments, :P - is also a reasonable possibility since Sony would enter the market with one less disadvantage and Nintendo without its only major advantage. Both of them could very well have happened and the rebuttal that the guy I quoted made didn't make much sense.

I like the fact that I'm managing to express my opinion without annoying people too much on here, :D.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Immortal said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

Well, it was an unnecessary comment, but it's definitely a reasonable possibility. That Move thing - which, as a fanboy, I would criticize hugely with lots of arguments, :P - is also a reasonable possibility since Sony would enter the market with one less disadvantage and Nintendo without its only major advantage. Both of them could very well have happened and the rebuttal that the guy I quoted made didn't make much sense.

I like the fact that I'm managing to express my opinion without annoying people too much on here, :D.

yep, it was a flat out bait imo. 

anywho yeah good to have ya onboard :)

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

You know what would be interesting for sony to do one day for PS3/NGP. If porting is so easy maybe they can make combo packs, like dvd/blu ray combo pack. You buy a PS3 game for $60-$70 and it also includes a code/memory format to download and play it on NGP. So it will be a really nice incentive so you can play both at home and on the go. It might drive both ps3 and NGP sales. PS3/NGP combo packs could be really interesting. .......Doubt it will happen though

and the world is round bit of a silly comment is the op

disolitude said:

Nintendo has to completely abandon their innovation and games and go on vacation for a year for NGP to beat it.

Pretty much. People are forgetting 2 key things about the 3DS.

1) It's coming out before the NGP

2) It will defintiely be priced LESS then the NGP.

Those are the factors. At $250, the 3DS is going to sell like crazy. When people see the price differences between the 3DS and the NGP, most are going to grab the 3DS first. The 3D is going to be a big draw. I'm still thnking the NGP 3G model is going to cost $350, but we'll see. I just don't see how Sony can price the NGP below $300 and still make a profit from it. I honestly believe this NGP is costing Sony over $400 to manufacture. I'm sure we'll get the exact price of manufacturing before it's released.

'gaming till I'm gone'