By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Final Fantasy VI will always be better than VII

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

<table style="width: 90%;" border="0"><tr><td><strong>deskpro2k3 said:</strong><br /></td></tr></table><br /><br />

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

omg how can you fumble this so much... graphics really? this isn't a 360/PS3 game comparison....

anyways I agree that sprites are timeless, but I disagree that the gameplay was broken...Then again I haven't played either game in 15 years so....

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

i don't get why some ppl hate ff7 graphics i love them. and it's not a nostalgic factor cuase i first played the game in 2007. i love those blocky characters

First off, I've read a plethora of articles discussing the pro's and con's between VII and VI for years. This article has to be, by far the most biased piece of shit i've ever read in my life. For instance;

"Now, for FFVII, it has much of the same problems as IV and more.  The gameplay is just as outdated and bad.  The characters are boring with Cloud being only slightly better than Vaahn and Sephiroth one of the most boring villains of all time.  The story knows it's uninteresting and tries to hide it by making itself confusing."

You had one thing right, the gameplay is just as outdated and bad as VI, however, for the characters being boring, I did not feel that way at all, and I would bet my life in saying that 90% of the folks that enjoyed the game as much as I did would also say that is a pile of shit.

Sephiroth being the most boring of villains? the ONLY Villain in ANY other Final Fantasy and COUNT THEM, because there are 14 Final Fantasies now (That's alot of villains), Kefka is the ONLY other villain that comes remotely close to the calibur of Sephiroths Character.

The Storie is uninteresting? Why is it myself and a plethora of others can and have played this game front to back over 15 times since it's initial release. Because the story is THAT bad?!?! no... it's because it's THAT good, that I can't even get back into VI because it's story is shallow compared too....

In conclusion, I don't need to read any more of your article to say it wasted 15 mins of my life, and i regret stumbling upon this pathetic excuse for a 1 sided biased article. That being said however, the presidence of this article and the sheer lack of regard definitely was worthy of a response. That was not a waste of my time.

*edit*: in FACT, This article has disgusted me so much that i'm going to start a brand new game of FFVII tonight on my PSP Go and bask in eurphoria, because it's simply the greatest game ever made.

Around the Network
simple.one said:

First off, I've read a plethora of articles discussing the pro's and con's between VII and VI for years. This article has to be, by far the most biased piece of shit i've ever read in my life. For instance;

"Now, for FFVII, it has much of the same problems as IV and more.  The gameplay is just as outdated and bad.  The characters are boring with Cloud being only slightly better than Vaahn and Sephiroth one of the most boring villains of all time.  The story knows it's uninteresting and tries to hide it by making itself confusing."

You had one thing right, the gameplay is just as outdated and bad as VI, however, for the characters being boring, I did not feel that way at all, and I would bet my life in saying that 90% of the folks that enjoyed the game as much as I did would also say that is a pile of shit.

Sephiroth being the most boring of villains? the ONLY Villain in ANY other Final Fantasy and COUNT THEM, because there are 14 Final Fantasies now (That's alot of villains), Kefka is the ONLY other villain that comes remotely close to the calibur of Sephiroths Character.

The Storie is uninteresting? Why is it myself and a plethora of others can and have played this game front to back over 15 times since it's initial release. Because the story is THAT bad?!?! no... it's because it's THAT good, that I can't even get back into VI because it's story is shallow compared too....

In conclusion, I don't need to read any more of your article to say it wasted 15 mins of my life, and i regret stumbling upon this pathetic excuse for a 1 sided biased article. That being said however, the presidence of this article and the sheer lack of regard definitely was worthy of a response. That was not a waste of my time.

*edit*: in FACT, This article has disgusted me so much that i'm going to start a brand new game of FFVII tonight on my PSP Go and bask in eurphoria, because it's simply the greatest game ever made.

You're confusing personal bias for objective fact, move along.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Alphachris said:

Just to show how different gaming tastes can be. FF6 is one of the lowest on my list...

Question!

Did you have your eyes and ears ripped out of your skull right before you played FFVI?

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

I didn't mind FF7. It's probably my 3rd favourite in the series.

However, I'll add two more points as to why I didn't find the FF7 experience as immersive as FF6:

1. The lifeless looking characters. This is no joke, when I saw their faces originally, I thought "They look like they've had face paralysis", and it doesn't change! Even when Cloud is in that wheelchair looking like a vegetable, he has that same expression! FF6 had a library of sprite expressions for each character, and it seemed a lot easier to grasp what the script writers were trying to convey in a scene.

2. Something about the tunes creeped me out. The instruments didn't seem to mesh together as nicely, as if they came from different sound packages. For instance, when Aeris is killed....nice start, echoing piano....really expresses the shock, but then the blaring trumpet kicks in, like a high pitched version of the Sad Trombone sound effect, and it makes the song sound like it's trying to convey embarassment more than sadness.

I still enjoyed the game though, not as shocked with the Aeris death thing halfway through as some people were. I felt more sad for Celes when Cid dies and she's stuck on that dying island (appropriate music for that scene, too).

I like FF7 far better than 6. I have to say that I played 6 years after 7, but I don't think that changes my point of view very much. I'm not saying FF6 is a bad game by any means, but I would not play it again, and I have replayed FF7 at least 2 times and other RPGs like Suikoden and Lunar. I also have to say that FF7 was not my first JRP, as I played Phantasy Star 4, Shining Force 1 y 2, Soleil, Story of Thor and some PSX RPGs (like Suikoden) before, so it's not because FF7 was my first. And, unlike FF6, I'll probably replay Chrono Trigger in the future (and I played it after FF6, so graphics and tech have no influence in that matter).

Finally, I don't think that gameplay is dated at all. In fact, I think gameplay has gone worse with the "evolution" of the genre (starting with FFX). The only thing I'd change would be random encounters. You should always see the enemies like in Chrono, Lunar, etc.

I love FF VI and VII just about equally.  Its not true that FF VI's batle system is broken and boring...it works, and its fun as far as I'm concerned.  And FF VII's graphics do not turn me off.  Other than the somewhat archaic looking blocky characters, the game has some really great backgrounds full of atmosphere, in-game battle graphics and summons own IMO, and the world map is excellent. 

"Why does everyone ask about Chrono Trigger? (responding to a comment about the title being loved) That's not what the sales tell me! If people want a sequel, they should buy more!" - Square Enix Senior Vice President Shinji Hashimoto