By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Stories in Video Games

So, I recently had a huge debate on my facebook about Pokemon games and nostalgia and such. I won't open that can of worms because that would lead to an entirely different debate. However, during this discussion, one of my friends said the following:

"Then I discovered the world of storylines, which was a lot more like being the main character in a book or movie, and now it's really hard for me to want to play it for more than 20 minutes if it doesn't have an intriguing storyline. 

Sure, I can play the latest MarioKart or Soul Caliber, but storylines are where my interests lie. Graphics, battle systems, and all the rest matter very little to me unless they interfere with my ability to do what I need to do to carry on with the story. Then they just make me angry."

This got me thinking about video game stories and reasons to play video games. A lot of my friends, her included, talk about their favorite video games and a lot of them cite how amazing the stories are/amazing character development/et cetera and, well, that really confused me.

I play video games for fun. I like challenge and adventure and puzzles and the like. (I'm a huge platformer fan!) I do, however, play a lot of RPGs, but the more I think about it, I begin to realize I hardly play a game for it's story. Some of my favorite RPGs are the Mario RPGS (Mario&Luigi, SMRPG, Paper Mario). None of these have an 'amazing deep storyline', but have more of a basic story line and some of the best comedy I've seen in a game. I enjoy RPGs that don't take themselves seriously and have excellent gameplay(like the Mario ones do!).

I'm also a huge fan of the Tales series. Now, this might seem silly because Tales games are very story driven, which is true, but a lot of the fun I get out of the game is the combat. In my opinion, the battle system in the Tales games is one of my favorite in any video game I've ever played. The story is nice and interesting, but not the reason I play it. Even with Final Fantasy...my favorite one is IX and the story in that game isn't that deep or involved. It's simple and straightforward and helps continue with the game. 

So, I come to you asking, what video games have you played that truly have great stories. I've played A LOT of games and none of the stories really pulled at me. I never really played a game that made me think the story was comparable to an actual book. If I want a good story, I'll read a book. I play video games for fun and challenge. Maybe I haven't been exposed to an excellent story yet?

Around the Network

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Half-Life 2

Final Fantasy VI

Metal Gear Solid

StarCraft: Brood War

StarCraft II

Resident Evil 4

Fire Emblem

No More Heroes

NMH 2: Desperate Struggle

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock lol jk

Metroid Prime

i love stories in games 

thats mainly what i play games for. too bad my favorite genre in shooters have had terrible stories lately i have turned to rpg and action adventure 

but when it comes to toying around i play sand box games like gta

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

mchaza said:

i love stories in games 

thats mainly what i play games for. too bad my favorite genre in shooters have had terrible stories lately i have turned to rpg and action adventure 

What games do you like that have good stories?

tehsage said:
mchaza said:

i love stories in games 

What games do you like that have good stories?

i like fallout 3 and new vegas stories as they are wacky and funny and sick

i like uncharted 2 and 1 story since they are simple and fun, umm this is hard because there has been alot of crap in the story department in alot of games i have played. Portal and half life series are interesting due to its 1st person nature

Around the Network

IMO no games come close to Final Fantasy VI and Xenogears.

To a lesser degree, I liked the stories of Ocarina of Time and Metal Gear Solid

Not many, in general games have pretty rubbish story lines.

The best are probably Planescape Torment and Portal. Both on different extremes. Valve games are great becaue they tell the story though the gameplay and don't break your focus by adding in cutscenes that jolt you out of the game world. Planescape is just so detailed and intruiging that it has to be mentioned.

Not to mention Grim Fandango, which probably has the best script in any computer game ever made.

Sorry FF6 and MGS4, my loyalty lies elsewhere now.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Just off the top of my head.

Kingdom Hearts

Final Fantasy VI

Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy X

Bioshock

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Metal Gear Solid (entire series)

Lost Odyssey

These all have excellent stories and should be played.

Although in recent years, I've noticed that games with a great and fleshed out story has diminished. I'm not sure why exactly.

Really an good story is one that is told not by text or cutscenes but the enviroment (for example fallout) and gameplay (half life) and then top it off with cut scenes if needed. It needs to involve the player as much as possible. 

What i believe the style of story telling in games is its told though the world to the player while he is playing and offer the options to explore deeper and deeper into the situation and story on the players command so you can want to explore the story or if you want to kills some stuff etc you can if you want.