By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Steam Brings in Nearly $1 Billion in Revenues in 2010

zarx said:
Kasz216 said:

That's all?

considering that Valve as a private company have no incentive (and to my knowledge haven't) to release sales or revenue numbers publicly these numbers have to be taken with I giant grain of salt.

But yes I expected more myself TBH 

im pretty sure its higher, but its also one digital retailer. There are another three major DD services that I can think of. Then there is retail which doesn't really sell many copies anymore. Also is this worldwide numbers or just one region?

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
zarx said:
Kasz216 said:

That's all?

considering that Valve as a private company have no incentive (and to my knowledge haven't) to release sales or revenue numbers publicly these numbers have to be taken with I giant grain of salt.

But yes I expected more myself TBH 

im pretty sure its higher, but its also one digital retailer. There are another three major DD services that I can think of. Then there is retail which doesn't really sell many copies anymore. Also is this worldwide numbers or just one region?

Steam maybe only one but for full games it is by far the largest, with some reports (probably outdated) I have read, estimated that steam was bigger than all other competitors combined.

At least in America digital holds just over half of the revenue from PC game sales so retail is still around the same size as digital at least in the USA. On the other hand Paradox interactive have reported that digital makes up 70% of their sales, so Digital is probably a larger % in Europe ETC. But they also have a few digital only games so that number is probably a bit high.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Go Steam go!

Can't tell if it is a lot or not...Would have guessed more;...I mean this is steam the most popular DD site?

Wished I had numbers from PSN/XBL etc..

to put this into perspective if the numbers are accurate and you add in retail numbers for Valve games merchandising TF2 micro-transactions etc Valve probably brought in more revenue than EA and probably a few hundred million of that was profit rather than losses... And just think that it's a private company so Gabe and Co are probably sitting on a piles of bills as thrones.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

THQ, SEGA and Activison DROP YOUR PRICES FOR AUSSIES ON STEAM 

you dogs 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

I was reading somewhere about their methodology and they said they use passive polling to reach those numbers but don't want to disclose more. This probably means that they have chosen a group of steam users to observe and they are tracking their games collections.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

1.6 million is very impressive if that is Sales via Steam if it is connections using Steam not so. I would still venture Bricks and mortar sales far outstripped Vales digital sales especially when you consider how much cheaper it was to buy the game via On-line retail and in the Super market give-away during Black ops launch.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

Not so impressed by these numbers since it's basically 50% of the total pc market (full priced games)

Barozi said:

Not so impressed by these numbers since it's basically 50% of the total pc market (full priced games)

Same here.