Forums - PC Discussion - Steam Brings in Nearly $1 Billion in Revenues in 2010

Don86 said:
shio said:

that never happened, because all call of duty entries should be atleast million sellers on PC, if not multi-million sellers (as much as it pains to me say it).

No offense but..why would valve purposely hide the real numbers?

Shouldn't it be good news for the PC gaming industry developers and everyone else to know that DD is the future for pc gaming?

...Its because most distributors can't.

Sales data are protected by NDAs between the publisher, the platform, and the distributor. Therefore, Valve would have to break over 200 NDA's signed by the various publishers in order to give out any sort of sales data. The individual publishers/developers can, and sometimes do, but if Valve does it, it would invite lawsuits that Valve doesn't need.



Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
Don86 said:
shio said:
Slimebeast said:

I don't believe in these numbers at all, especially not in Black Ops selling 1.6 million through Digital Download at $50 or $60 a peace on the PC. I wouldn't believe in it even if it was 800K.

Black Ops sales being 10 % of total Steam revenue. Give me a break.

That just doesn't make sense. I remember reports of how badly MW (or was it MW2) sold on PC (just a few hundred thousand, dd plus retail combined), and Call of Duty is nearly as hated and despised among PC gamers now as it was back then.

that never happened, because all call of duty entries should be atleast million sellers on PC, if not multi-million sellers (as much as it pains to me say it).

No offense but..why would valve purposely hide the real numbers?

Shouldn't it be good news for the PC gaming industry developers and everyone else to know that DD is the future for pc gaming?

A couple of possible reasons. Firstly, they're a privately owned company, so unlike Plcs and corporations like Sony, Microsoft, Activision, Nintendo etc. they have no need to release sales or revenue figures.

Secondly, if their digital distribution method is successful, they don't neccessarily want everyone to know. If they start announcing huge sales figures and revenue then physical retailers may refuse to stock their games. In fact, physical retailers have already threatened stop stocking games that require Steam. The other issue is that it basically says to larger companies in the industry "digital distribution is a money maker!" and they may form their own systems and increase direct competition to Steam.


LOL I think it's kind of an open secret already.

I still think the actual number is quite close to what they have disclosed. Probably 1 or 2 billion off the mark.

If they had made mega bucks, They would be somewhat exposed by now.



mrstickball said:
Don86 said:
shio said:

that never happened, because all call of duty entries should be atleast million sellers on PC, if not multi-million sellers (as much as it pains to me say it).

No offense but..why would valve purposely hide the real numbers?

Shouldn't it be good news for the PC gaming industry developers and everyone else to know that DD is the future for pc gaming?

...Its because most distributors can't.

Sales data are protected by NDAs between the publisher, the platform, and the distributor. Therefore, Valve would have to break over 200 NDA's signed by the various publishers in order to give out any sort of sales data. The individual publishers/developers can, and sometimes do, but if Valve does it, it would invite lawsuits that Valve doesn't need.

There's also good chance that a big part of the profits comes from secrecy agreement that they had with the other respective companies IMHO



Don86 said:
mrstickball said:
Don86 said:
shio said:

that never happened, because all call of duty entries should be atleast million sellers on PC, if not multi-million sellers (as much as it pains to me say it).

No offense but..why would valve purposely hide the real numbers?

Shouldn't it be good news for the PC gaming industry developers and everyone else to know that DD is the future for pc gaming?

...Its because most distributors can't.

Sales data are protected by NDAs between the publisher, the platform, and the distributor. Therefore, Valve would have to break over 200 NDA's signed by the various publishers in order to give out any sort of sales data. The individual publishers/developers can, and sometimes do, but if Valve does it, it would invite lawsuits that Valve doesn't need.

There's also good chance that a big part of the profits comes from secrecy agreement that they had with the other respective companies IMHO

Partially, yes. If they did reveal the data, they may be in breach of the agreement, therefore could lose money on a lawsuit, or some sort of compensatory agreement.



Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Take back what I said, Magicka sold 200K.



Around the Network

This is interesting. Forbes, a far more credible site, comes with a statement directly contradictin the 1 billion here.

"Steam controls half to 70% of the $4 billion market for downloaded PC games"

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2011/0228/technology-gabe-newell-videogames-valve-online-mayhem.html



Pineapple said:

This is interesting. Forbes, a far more credible site, comes with a statement directly contradictin the 1 billion here.

"Steam controls half to 70% of the $4 billion market for downloaded PC games"

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2011/0228/technology-gabe-newell-videogames-valve-online-mayhem.html

4 billion dollars?

The console market revenue is around that right IIRC? WOW.



Don86 said:
Pineapple said:

This is interesting. Forbes, a far more credible site, comes with a statement directly contradictin the 1 billion here.

"Steam controls half to 70% of the $4 billion market for downloaded PC games"

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2011/0228/technology-gabe-newell-videogames-valve-online-mayhem.html

4 billion dollars?

The console market revenue is around that right IIRC? WOW.


The console market is far larger than that. Nintendo alone has a revenue of 15 billion or so (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6261400.html?tag=recent_news;title;1). Granted, that's with the DS too, but still, the console market is far larger than 4 billion dollars.

Nintendo accounts for somewhere around 45% of the total hardware sales, roughly 40% of the software is sold on their machines, and they personally publish somewhere around 15% of the software. Short and simple, they might account for around 25-30% of the revenue of the console handheld market, which would make the console handheld market revenue around 50 billion dollars.

The PC has 8 billion in revenue, though (and that's not including MMOs monthly subscriptions). Considering that there are 5 consoles/handhelds, it's bigger than the smaller ones (PsP definitely, maybe Ps3 and possibly X360/DS now).

 



Pineapple said:
Don86 said:
Pineapple said:

This is interesting. Forbes, a far more credible site, comes with a statement directly contradictin the 1 billion here.

"Steam controls half to 70% of the $4 billion market for downloaded PC games"

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2011/0228/technology-gabe-newell-videogames-valve-online-mayhem.html

4 billion dollars?

The console market revenue is around that right IIRC? WOW.


The console market is far larger than that. Nintendo alone has a revenue of 15 billion or so (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6261400.html?tag=recent_news;title;1). Granted, that's with the DS too, but still, the console market is far larger than 4 billion dollars.

Nintendo accounts for somewhere around 45% of the total hardware sales, roughly 40% of the software is sold on their machines, and they personally publish somewhere around 15% of the software. Short and simple, they might account for around 25-30% of the revenue of the console handheld market, which would make the console handheld market revenue around 50 billion dollars.

The PC has 8 billion in revenue, though (and that's not including MMOs monthly subscriptions). Considering that there are 5 consoles/handhelds, it's bigger than the smaller ones (PsP definitely, maybe Ps3 and possibly X360/DS now).

 

The Console software revenue is less than $20 billion, and probably closer to $15 billion. PC games revenue was estimated to be $13.1 billion in 2009, so it could be $14bln or more in 2010.

Although Nintendo's revenue was $15bln, it also accounts handheld software, handheld hardware, console hardware and accessories revenue, and probably some other stuff.



Soleron said:

How is Portal #6 on that list in its fourth year?

Especially when they gave it away for free for a while.



Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.