By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - I have a Jesus Christ graphics card!

I thought this was a myth, but when you're desperate, I think everything sounds like a very good idea.

I just got back home after university, and to my surprise my PC wasn't giving me any visual signal. Since this pice of crap already fried one graphics card, I instantly understood what was going on.

Turn off. *lets hope it is just a start up glitch*

Turn on... no signal.

Turn off. *puts hands on the head desperately*

Turn on... no signal.

Turn off. *prays and asks himself the purpose of his existence in the world.*

It just flashed through my mind some people on youtube reviving graphics cards and 360's by overheating them on the oven. That looked pretty wild to do with an eletronic aparatus, and I've got an hairdryer.

*Its now... or never.*

I just opened the guts of my Asus C90S and pulled out this fried piece of shit(nvidia 8600m gt):

Overheated the damn out of it, with no minimal knowledge about how long ot would take, I just did that for while.

Got all the shit back together and...

It works.

It just works.

Nvidia Jesus Christ, resurrected from the dead.

Anyone else got a similar story? It will fry again won't it?

Around the Network

Yeah. My old CRT TV screwed up and fixed itself a whooping three times... though my 2 fried ATI GPU's never bothered to do the same, sadly. Since then, I'm always with Nvidia :P

what? how does that work 

i fought overheating would cause the circuits to melt and the device failing hence the reason why there are fans on GPU's. 

umm makes no sense for me but it worked for you so thats great 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

And jesus christ took 3 days..

How long did your laptop take? :P

Don86 said:

And jesus christ took 3 days..

How long did your laptop take? :P

Lmao. Good one.

Around the Network
mchaza said:

what? how does that work 

i fought overheating would cause the circuits to melt and the device failing hence the reason why there are fans on GPU's. 

umm makes no sense for me but it worked for you so thats great 

Lots of electronics have this problem, it's because of overheating and stress causing microfractures in the lead free solder.  Reballing (more permanent solution) or reheating the solder joints is an attempt to fix that.  I've fixed an old 360 with a dead GPU with the RROD clamp fix and it worked.  I also had a laptop that died by overheating, but it was in warranty so I sent it in then modded the GPU with a copper shim w/paste and got rid of the crappy thermal tape when it came back.

I was expecting it to walk on water.

I'm disappointed. :/

The Nvidia 8-series in laptops is a known issue; Nvidia's had to pay out hundreds of millions of dollars. If it breaks again you should be able to get a replacement free of charge from the manufacturer even out of warranty.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1013947/why-nvidia-duff-chips-shoddy-engineering

It's called "bumpgate". It is a similar problem to RROD and totally not a normal failure you have to put up with.

Rainbird said:

I was expecting it to walk on water.

I'm disappointed. :/

I don't know what I liked the better. If the OP or this.

:P

I did the same to my PS3. Then it broke again, then I fixed it again. And when it finally broke again, I didn't want to risk it anymore... And I had to buy a new one. Anyway, don't be surprised if your graphics card dies again. At least it'll work for a while now.