By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Official: 360 vs PS3 gap now 2.88m

Booh! said:

Simple fact: MS tends to overstuff in December.

PS3 Q3 Q4
06/07 1.7 1.8
07/08 4.9 2.2
08/09 4.5 1.6
09/10 6.5

X360 Q3 Q4
06/07 4.4 0.5
07/08 4.3 1.3
08/09 6.0 1.7
09/10 5.2 1.5

Sony is probably shipping 2.8 millions consoles this quarter; MS never shipped more than 1.7 million consoles, it will be lucky to ship 2 millions consoles.

it's not past...well i didn't mean this Q MS must win

but for your estimated,don't you think 0.3 is easy than 0.6(since MS Q2 10/11 ship more than 08/09 0.3m)

Around the Network
slowmo said:
snakenobi said:
thx1139 said:

The point I made about Japan was that people have been going on no way only 300K 360s on shelves while the PS3 has 1.6M at the end of December.. My point was that the number is realistic because there is always next to nothing on shelves in Japan.  While Sony had to make sure at least a couple of hundred thousand had to be at retailers in Japan because of the high holiday sales that happen in early January.

I dont care about Sony shipment target they have missed it before and if they are selling less this year than last when they only shipped 2.2M what is going to cause them to ship 2.8M.  Only thing possible is that they convince retailers to take more units with perhaps some special deals.  Yes we heard about the shortages last year, but funny thing when shortages were over sales never increased so shipping the 2.2M didnt really hurt.

Finally MS specifically stated they sold out in December and had to airship units that were meant to be sold in January.  Normally those units would have been put on boats and whould have taken weeks to arrive.  This was tracked in threads during December. This is the reason MS said that shortages could occur late January and into February. Since airship is much more expensive MS would airship as minimal as possible and get the units back on boats Jan 1. The difference between MS and Sony is that MS gave a specific time frame when the shortages could occur.  Sony went on about shortages for months.

yeah PS3 has the JAPAN front to cover too but its not like PS3 sells millions out there.it just sells 1.5m per year and the number that you are linking to is quite high just for the january time

also that 1.6m you keep mentioning is vgc numbers which keep getting adjusted so don't talk of it as the absolutely correct number.if you remember last quater,it was the same like now and people were saying sony was lying or there were millions of PS3's on shelves but then PS3 got adjusted up around 2m and then everybody started believing it

last year they shipped 2.2m with major supply issues.it was bad if you followed the shortages.they didn't have enough PS3's even during GOD OF WAR 3's launch.the shortages were only over fully in may when their new RSX 40nm's came in which SONY was waiting for cause they were going to reduce costs.Also that they had reached 13m target for that year so they didn't need to ship more than 2.2m in that quarter

i know MS spoke about shortages but it never really happened as they did do their job and got enough for the christmas period and when it ended and the next stock was to arrive,they cooled off as it wasn't christmas so they didn't need to hurry extra consoles as after christmas period is not that valuable period for sales.

The shortages did happen, Microsoft brought a shipment forward by air freight to cover themselves.  Sooner or later they're going to have to suffer more shortages as they move back to shipping channels for future shipments. 

did i say they didn't happen?

no i didn't so why,why why a comment like that?

Where's Ethomaz ? I thought he would of posted in this thread by now.

OT : I think we could actually be undertracking the PS3. But by a small margin ( 200 - 300 k )

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

BHR-3 said:
kowenicki said:

so the shipped gap is growing...

excellent.

should grow a bit more to take it back above 3m next quarter too.

there will always be far more PS3's in the channel than 360's... always

kowenicki had also said: I fully expect 360 to outship PS3 in the next qtrs figures.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3718627

now if i only had a penny for ever time MS fans have said that to only turn out WRONG

as for

"there will always be far more PS3's in the channel than 360's... always"

you might want to start writing articles for the site again b/c the ps3 has had less in the channels than the 360 for

quarters ending Dec 06, Mar 07, Jun 07, Sep 07, Dec 07, Mar 08, Jun 08, Sep 08, Dec 09, Mar 10, Jun 10 and at one point the 360 had a enormous 2.5M and has been over 2M mark in the channel four times, where as the ps3 biggest shipped to sold gap is 2.5 and has only gone over the 2M mark twice

now as for "should grow a bit more to take it back above 3m next quarter too"

really? what makes you say that?

some facts for ya

PS3 has out shipped the 360 6 straight quarters only this last one being a tie this is all b/c of only one thing sony has done the $299 PS3, even with MSs relaunch, Halo Reach, and Kinect MS has failed to out ship Sony, what is MS doing or going to do in the next 2 months that leaves you to believe it will outship Sony for this current quarter?

in the last 2 quarters where the PS3 has outshipped it 9.8 vs 9.1 this sites data shows that 360 outsold it 9.7 vs 8.9.  now current sales for Jan are 993k vs 360s 897k how is the 360 going to over come its Jan and outsell it further for its shipments to be above the PS3?

As I have said several times in this thread. Sony needed to make sure Japan had plenty of stock for the 1st couple of weeks in Japan.  In January the PS3 sold 137,999 of which 48K is from the last 2 weeks for an average of 24,160. The 1st 2 weeks 90K PS3s were sold in Japan. At the same time the 360 sold 6800 the last 2 weeks and 7200 the 1st 2 weeks. 

So the last part of the Japan holiday sales are over and those sales help the PS3 far more than they help the 360.  Although the 360 sells fewer than 4000 each week in Japan the amount the PS3 sells beyond the 360 is far lower than it was during January.

Finally MS needs to replenish stock all over the world far more than Sony does.  360 sales are up YoY and PS3 sales are down YoY. MS has said they expect revenue for this qtr to increase by 50% YoY.  It all points to MS shipping a good deal more 360s this qtr and Sony shipping fewer.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

D-Joe said:
Booh! said:

Simple fact: MS tends to overstuff in December.

PS3 Q3 Q4
06/07 1.7 1.8
07/08 4.9 2.2
08/09 4.5 1.6
09/10 6.5

X360 Q3 Q4
06/07 4.4 0.5
07/08 4.3 1.3
08/09 6.0 1.7
09/10 5.2 1.5

Sony is probably shipping 2.8 millions consoles this quarter; MS never shipped more than 1.7 million consoles, it will be lucky to ship 2 millions consoles.

it's not past...well i didn't mean this Q MS must win

but for your estimated,don't you think 0.3 is easy than 0.6(since MS Q2 10/11 ship more than 08/09 0.3m)

MS didn't manage to beat Sony in Q3, they have no chance in Q4. However, Sony is pushing hard to meet the 2.8 millions estimated shipments and if it was an impossible task, they'd have revised their estimates. They did not, so it's quite clear that retailers are ordering enough consoles to meet Sony expectations.

On the other hand MS has not the line-up to back up sustained shipments (no ME this year and kinect is not selling well everywhere in the world).

Around the Network
*Sound Of Rain said:

I don't want to get involved in this war between everybody LOL...but I do have some very simple few questions.(Hopefully doesn't cause trouble)

So...after all of this:

Is PS3 over-tracked or Under-tracked or spot on?

Is 360 over-tracked or Under-tracked or spot on?

By the way Wii numbers are right on track since they already adjusted #'s after Nintendo's report correct?

I truly hate to get involved in this because it makes me look like a fanboy but thinking logically.

As of January 1st 2011

PS3 shipped is 47.9 million and sold is at 46.3 million

Which would leave 1.6 million PS3s on store shelves, sounds about right. Considering it was the holiday season.

360 shipped 50.8 million and sold is at 50.3 million

Which leaves only 500k on shelves, that seems like 360 is slightly overtracked, I'd say about 200k. No big deal they'll fix it.

But what is really bothering me is PS2 is at 141 million sold when Sony has it at about 152 million shipped, That's a difference of at least 10 million PS2s and also take into account that hardly any retailers sell PS2 new, very few. The only ones you'll find are used ones and they aren't included in shipped numbers since they were already sold. PS2 needs to be adjusted up about 9.5-10 million units sold. That's a pretty big deal.

cool idealization reply,good luck

TheNoobHolocaust said:
*Sound Of Rain said:

I don't want to get involved in this war between everybody LOL...but I do have some very simple few questions.(Hopefully doesn't cause trouble)

So...after all of this:

Is PS3 over-tracked or Under-tracked or spot on?

Is 360 over-tracked or Under-tracked or spot on?

By the way Wii numbers are right on track since they already adjusted #'s after Nintendo's report correct?

I truly hate to get involved in this because it makes me look like a fanboy but thinking logically.

As of January 1st 2011

PS3 shipped is 47.9 million and sold is at 46.3 million

Which would leave 1.6 million PS3s on store shelves, sounds about right. Considering it was the holiday season.

360 shipped 50.8 million and sold is at 50.3 million

Which leaves only 500k on shelves, that seems like 360 is slightly overtracked, I'd say about 200k. No big deal they'll fix it.

But what is really bothering me is PS2 is at 141 million sold when Sony has it at about 152 million shipped, That's a difference of at least 10 million PS2s and also take into account that hardly any retailers sell PS2 new, very few. The only ones you'll find are used ones and they aren't included in shipped numbers since they were already sold. PS2 needs to be adjusted up about 9.5-10 million units sold. That's a pretty big deal.

So...Overall:

PS3 and Wii are fine.

360 may be over-tracked by 200K (which is unknown anyway until VGC states it.)

PS2 under-tracked by about 10 Million? 

Yeah I actually can't stand it when people say things are over/under tracked before it has actually been announced as so. With the PS2 its different though and they should really fix though #'s ...like today.

BHR-3 said:
kowenicki said:

excellent.

kowenicki had also said: I fully expect 360 to outship PS3 in the next qtrs figures.

now if i only had a penny for ever time MS fans have said that to only turn out WRONG

as for

you might want to start writing articles for the site again b/c the ps3 has had less in the channels than the 360 for

quarters ending Dec 06, Mar 07, Jun 07, Sep 07, Dec 07, Mar 08, Jun 08, Sep 08, Dec 09, Mar 10, Jun 10 and at one point the 360 had a enormous 2.5M and has been over 2M mark in the channel four times, where as the ps3 biggest shipped to sold gap is 2.5 and has only gone over the 2M mark twice

some facts for ya

PS3 has out shipped the 360 6 straight quarters only this last one being a tie this is all b/c of only one thing sony has done the $299 PS3, even with MSs relaunch, Halo Reach, and Kinect MS has failed to out ship Sony, what is MS doing or going to do in the next 2 months that leaves you to believe it will outship Sony for this current quarter?

in the last 2 quarters where the PS3 has outshipped it 9.8 vs 9.1 this sites data shows that 360 outsold it 9.7 vs 8.9.  now current sales for Jan are 993k vs 360s 897k how is the 360 going to over come its Jan and outsell it further for its shipments to be above the PS3?

Wow, that's a tough post to follow there, damn. But I agree. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
kowenicki said:
BHR-3 said:
kowenicki said:

excellent.

as for

some facts for ya

I'd love to know whose alt account you are...

anyway... rather than this rather long winded and boring diatribe...  lets just wait and see shall we.

(PS i am truly chilled to think you huddle over your laptop endlessly bookmarking masses of posts for reference... thats some scary shit)

yeah alt accusations and personal attacks show how 'chilled' you are ;)

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!