By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - *Where Would Gaming Be If Wii Failed?*

It's definitely interesting thinking about what might have happened in certain situations without the success of the Wii.

Without a cheap competitor selling consoles by the bucketload, would Sony and Microsoft have felt the need to cut prices at the same points in time in an attempt to counter? It's doubtful, in fact I'd imagine the 360 and PS3 would be more expensive than they are right now, which in turn probably wouldn't lead to the same level of sales they currently have. Of course it's also possible that they'd be in a price cut war with each other, which may have stopped at least one of them from seeing profit this gen given the massive losses that they were making early on.

Kinect and Move wouldn't have happened, you can say that easily. Sony may have been working on Move for a few years in the PS2 era but it was practically shelved until the success of the Wii, and Kinect was Microsoft doing what they did when they entered the industry to begin with, it was all about trying to take business from someone else.

It's also easy to say that the overall quality of the Wii's library would improve because it wouldn't have had the masses of shovelware that the market leader gets, although Nintendo themselves may have focused more on the handheld market.

More importantly, Pachter may have gotten the WiiHD he's so desperately desired...

VGChartz

Around the Network

*Sound Of Rain# You don't belive that sony already was devopleping move before Wii was released? Their are even videoes from 2003 where you can see move in it's earlie devoleping. 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1# Official Playstation Vita Thread! Come in and join!!!

Hmm I think in terms of record years of 2007 and 2008, it wouldn't have happened. Those years were driven by the wii's success. The industry might have been hurting some what, until Kinect or other devices were released. 

it would be in a better place than where it is now

gaming would acually be better because 3rd pary devs would be making profit.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Around the Network

gaming would have no lunchbox to put the toast and beef it just cooked with its ps3 and 360

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

We would have more better 3rd party games as those titles would be selling to bigger HD userbase making smaller projects possible. Also we would have tons more PSN/Live games as it would be target area for risky projects.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

@Siko  i said alot less shovelware, Wii has the most of any home console ive seen so far, but PS1 comes close

Kinect would be a Windows only device, but still exist. Move would probably not exist and if it did, it would not look and play the way it does. Neither would be getting as much focus as they do now. So for us core gamers it might actually had been better than now, since all that work probably would had gone some place else.

Can't imagine a gaming generation without Nintendo though, so i am glad it was successful, now please bring us a HD console, so i actually can enjoy my Nintendo games on my TV.

This is going to sound cliche as hell but gaming would be much better for core gamers and there would be no casual market if the Wii had failed. 

There would be more core games and high profile titles and less lame party games and what not. 

I'm not going to say I wish the wii had failed, but I really wish it hadn't turned the industry into a "casual" industry. I want more Halo, Grand Theft Auto, new high profile IP's, etc. and less "Kinect pillow fight" "Wii Party 27" and "Trip to the Zoo move" or whatever is coming out.