By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - *Where Would Gaming Be If Wii Failed?*

Graphic wars would become the topic again, not controlerless innovation wars. Also sales would have not surged as much because nothing woudl attract the casual as much as the Wii did so the market would not be as good. We have Nintendo to thank for for the resurgence of interest in gaming.

It's just that simple.

Around the Network
evolution_1ne said:
MrT-Tar said:
evolution_1ne said:

it would be in a better place than where it is now

can I ask how?

IMO greater competition and diversity in the video game industry is a good thing

wii hasn't been competing with the ps3 or 360 until mid 2010.

and diversity is good, always good, but that depends on what type of diversity, and the "diversity" (which in my opinion isn't diversity at all but I won't go into that because I'll probably get banned again) the wii brings is definitely the wrong type of diversity.

In my opinion the industry would be A LOT better off with Nintendo being a 3rd party publisher, instead of a hardware manufacturer.

*note my feeling towards the wii are exclusive to the wii and NOT Nintendo*

how the hell has the Wii not been competing with the PS3 or 360 until that recently?

While many bought the Wii for games like Wii Fit, and as a result wouldn't likely buy another platform, I would still say the Wii and 360/PS3 have a postive cross elasticity of demand.  The fact that one of the biggest 3rd party exclusives, Monster Hunter 3, jumped from PS3 to the Wii clearly shows how they are competing.

If Nintendo were 3rd party, prices for platforms would be a lot higher.  While I can't prove anything, I suspect that the Wii's considerably lower price tag encourages MS and Sony to reduce the prices of their consoles.  Hell, Nintendo even raised the price of the Wii in 2009, shrinking the gap slightly.

3rd parties would have a lot less money if Nintendo were 3rd party.  Companies such as Ubisoft get a serious net benefit from releasing on the Wii, just think of all the money being received from Just Dance/2.  Even worse affecting would be your (judging by your avatar) beloved Square-Enix, who get massive sums of revenue from the DS.  If the likes of DQIX, Blood of Bahamut, FFIII and IV DS, DQ IV - VI DS were all split between the remaining platforms, the higher development costs would mean some games would have to be dropped, it is those games which finances the development of the next FF game.

I cannot conceive how anyone bar their console manufacturing competitors would argue that the industry would be 'A LOT better' with Nintendo being 3rd party 

MrT-Tar said:
evolution_1ne said:
MrT-Tar said:
evolution_1ne said:

it would be in a better place than where it is now

can I ask how?

IMO greater competition and diversity in the video game industry is a good thing

wii hasn't been competing with the ps3 or 360 until mid 2010.

and diversity is good, always good, but that depends on what type of diversity, and the "diversity" (which in my opinion isn't diversity at all but I won't go into that because I'll probably get banned again) the wii brings is definitely the wrong type of diversity.

In my opinion the industry would be A LOT better off with Nintendo being a 3rd party publisher, instead of a hardware manufacturer.

*note my feeling towards the wii are exclusive to the wii and NOT Nintendo*

how the hell has the Wii not been competing with the PS3 or 360 until that recently?

While many bought the Wii for games like Wii Fit, and as a result wouldn't likely buy another platform, I would still say the Wii and 360/PS3 have a postive cross elasticity of demand.  The fact that one of the biggest 3rd party exclusives, Monster Hunter 3, jumped from PS3 to the Wii clearly shows how they are competing.

If Nintendo were 3rd party, prices for platforms would be a lot higher.  While I can't prove anything, I suspect that the Wii's considerably lower price tag encourages MS and Sony to reduce the prices of their consoles.  Hell, Nintendo even raised the price of the Wii in 2009, shrinking the gap slightly.

3rd parties would have a lot less money if Nintendo were 3rd party.  Companies such as Ubisoft get a serious net benefit from releasing on the Wii, just think of all the money being received from Just Dance/2.  Even worse affecting would be your (judging by your avatar) beloved Square-Enix, who get massive sums of revenue from the DS.  If the likes of DQIX, Blood of Bahamut, FFIII and IV DS, DQ IV - VI DS were all split between the remaining platforms, the higher development costs would mean some games would have to be dropped, it is those games which finances the development of the next FF game.

I cannot conceive how anyone bar their console manufacturing competitors would argue that the industry would be 'A LOT better' with Nintendo being 3rd party 

yes

meh that's one game, which is very popular in japan which I heard, and I think it juked due to development cost.

really, so a lower price is now a higher one??

and that last part was just me being a fanboy of hardcore games lol, my hopes and dreams, not the industries.

MonstaMack said:

Graphic wars would become the topic again, not controlerless innovation wars. Also sales would have not surged as much because nothing woudl attract the casual as much as the Wii did so the market would not be as good. We have Nintendo to thank for for the resurgence of interest in gaming.

Graphic wars have generally been a Sony fan thing in my opinion. I mean MGS4, Killzone 2, and Uncharted 2... all games with graphics only PS3 could produce. That discussion has pretty much died out because developers keep raising the bar on both consoles, now its a toss up of which is actually more powerful.

I think the Wii created more interest in casual gaming and motion gaming. That's really its only impact.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Maynard_Tool said:

Well, if 10/20 of those wii titles are shovelware.....

With titles like

Need for speed - second only to gran turismo as far as great racing franchises go

madden- is a sport simulator I don't get why you mentioned it.....

spider man,- I've never owned one but back in the ps2 days the games were awesome

the lord of the rings- (not) ,

guitar hero- the eairly gutair hero's were actuall good you know

crash bandicoot- kill yourself -__- ......... NOW

Good thing shovelware is a matter of opinion too

Iok so you obviously never owned a ps2, or your forgetting these games and what they meant to the industry DURING THAT TIME,

and or,unless you consider almost every mario game on wii and every pokemon game of GB/DS, shovelware aswell by your implied critera, because I don't.

edit going over the mairo titles I'm inclined to take that back :/

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Seece said:

LOL, it'd be ticking over fine.

MS and Sony would just more or less be sharing first place, Ninty's console would have done 20 mill, so same as last gen, and MS and Sony would be on same course for their 80 mill. So 160 mill (PS2 140, Xbox 25)

So market would be about the same roughly, userbase wise anyway.

That's ignoring the fact that Wii games were what was keeping most videogame companies afloat early on.

Without the Wii we'd of lost a LOT of third party companies.

if that helps you sleep at night......

digitalnasties said:

Next the $ony fanboys will be saying the PC games market is softcore because it has shovelware too.

*facepalm you Wii fans just don't get it*

ehhhhh to be expected I guess.

evolution_1ne said:
Kasz216 said:
Seece said:

MS and Sony would just more or less be sharing first place, Ninty's console would have done 20 mill, so same as last gen, and MS and Sony would be on same course for their 80 mill. So 160 mill (PS2 140, Xbox 25)

That's ignoring the fact that Wii games were what was keeping most videogame companies afloat early on.

You don't look familiar... so maybe you've just started paying attention in the last couple months or so?  Basically the entire story of the first few years has been third party companies talking about how the Wii basically saved them.

Even big companies like Ubisoft basically admitted they paid for the big third party HD games via smaller Wii games.

http://www.psu.com/forums/threads/89573-Ubisoft-We-take-profits-from-WII-and-DS-to-fund-X360-and-PS3-game-development

Without the Wii, we'd of hit a crash due to ridiculious development costs.

It's just a fact.  The wii's low dev costs just made things so much easier at the start of the generation... without it... the HD consoles would have a lot less games, and a lot of the smaller companies would of just been gone.

Kasz216 said:
evolution_1ne said:
Kasz216 said:
Seece said:

You don't look familiar... so maybe you've just started paying attention in the last couple months or so?  Basically the entire story of the first few years has been third party companies talking about how the Wii basically saved them.

Even big companies like Ubisoft basically admitted they paid for the big third party HD games via smaller Wii games.

http://www.psu.com/forums/threads/89573-Ubisoft-We-take-profits-from-WII-and-DS-to-fund-X360-and-PS3-game-development

It's just a fact.  The wii's low dev costs just made things so much easier at the start of the generation... without it... the HD consoles would have a lot less games, and a lot of the smaller companies would of just been gone.

yeah I've never heard that beforem especially considering how WELL (see what I did there) 3rd party game do on the wii.

evolution_1ne said:
Kasz216 said:
evolution_1ne said:
Kasz216 said:
Seece said:

yeah I've never heard that beforem especially considering how WELL (see what I did there) 3rd party game do on the wii.

I don't actually... but now you know.

Third party games do perform better on the Wii then the HD consoles.

Wii games were selling less and making profits, HD games were selling more and bankrupting their developers. 

This is less of a problem now due to enough time being put in graphically to in general make things cheaper (as happens in every generation) but if it hadn't been for the Wii to start out...

there would of been some SERIOUS problems... and serious crashes of companies.