By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Project Dark in now "Dark Souls"!!!!!! (and some new info.)

There's a preview on the game in this week's Famitsu. The official title is now Dark Souls. Some info from the preview:

- This is the official title of what was previously Project Dark

- This time they want to increase the amount of field exploration in the game.
- All fields are seamless, so whatever you can see, you can reach and explore. If you see a fortress or castle walls in the distance, you can eventually get there.
- There will be no map display in the game, just a position display marker.

- They aim to make the game just as challenging than Demon's Souls, but also just as rewarding when you succeed. The sense of achievement is important.

- The gameplay will be similar to Demon's Souls in concept, where it's about trial and error and learning from your mistakes to play better.

- The game does not share the same world and story as Demon's Souls.
- The game will not use the same format as Demon's Souls in terms of having 5 worlds connected via a hub.

- Instead all maps in the game will be linked seamlessly in a connected world. The pace of the game will feel more about exploration and discovering locations, which you can then go inside into a dungeon or whatever and explore the interior further.
- There will be more complex level designs in the game using more vertical design in areas and such.

- The world setting is based on medieval dark fantasy, and will contain themes like "high fantasy of kings and knights", "death and the depths of the earth", and "the flames of chaos".

Edit: More details added.

- The character creation process will not be class based.
- The play style of the player character will have much more freedom this time.
- There will be many more spells and items, and the animation and uniqueness of weapons will also be increased.

- The online elements are very similar to Demon's Souls. There is cooperative and PvP.
- You can still leave messages, and see players who died at various places.
- There will be no Soul Tendency this time because they don't want to have to use dedicated servers to handle that shit again.
- Instead this time there will be more features allowing players to engage in "mutual role playing" which they say are still under wraps. They'll reveal more when it's time.

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420440

-----------------------------------------------------------

I know it's from neogaf, but damn I'm excited!!!!!!

Edit: I mispelled *is with *in in the title. sorry, fail on my part.

Around the Network

OMG! Sequel to Demons' Souls, confirmed! Can't freaking wait, I loved the first one soooo much. Put 100's of hours into it.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

iLLmaticV3 said:

OMG! Sequel to Demons' Souls, confirmed! Can't freaking wait, I loved the first one soooo much. Put 100's of hours into it.

This is not a sequel to Demons souls. And this game has been known since TGS...

patapon said:
iLLmaticV3 said:

This is not a sequel to Demons souls. And this game has been known since TGS...

I know that it was shown before. I saw the teaser trailer, lol. I could have said "Spiritual Successor" But, FOR ME, its a sequel as it will have a similar feel to it and the name is SIMILAR, which I why I said what I said.

Thanks for trying to correct me, though...?

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

I can dig it, now give me a release date

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Around the Network

I shall await thine return, slayer of demons... I am here for thee and thee only.

So there day one. 

This is the craziest year ever.  New Zelda, LittleBigPlanet, Demon's Souls, and Ico games.   All sequels, spiritual or otherwise, from four of my six favorite franchises (the other two being MGS and Okami).

makingmusic476 said:

So there day one. 

This is the craziest year ever.  New Zelda, LittleBigPlanet, Demon's Souls, and Ico games.   All sequels, spiritual or otherwise, from four of my six favorite franchises (the other two being MGS and Okami).

lol okamiden as well.

Mmm Mmm. I hope it's early 2012 release, that way I'll be able to buy it by the end of 2012.

Really Demon's Souls was such a complete game that I kinda don't want an actual sequel. transferring the style and feel to another world/story entirely, with even more features, seems like the best approach. And it allows Xbox 360 gamers to experience the greatness of the Demon's Souls style.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

iLLmaticV3 said:

Just 100 hours? You're a softie.