By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The thing that makes the NGP "miles" better than the 3DS

MaxwellGT2000 said:
thismeintiel said:

Seems like a lot of Nintendo fans are just trying to justify the 3DS's exclusion of a 2nd analog stick.  I bet those same people would be praising Nintendo if it were the other way around and Nintendo had the 2nd analog, while Sony stuck with just one.  Actually, I know that for a fact so it would be a safe bet.  Also, where is the ridicule for Nintendo switching to dual analog for the Gamecube?  Or for the Wii  Classic Controller for that matter?  The fact is, dual analog is an excellent way to control the character's and camera's movement simultaneously, while still mantaining a comfortable grip on the controller and having quick access to the face/shoulder buttons.  Sony knew this when they designed it.  And MS and Nintendo knew this when they emulated it.

I'm wondering if you've ever played a PSP in your life, since the placement of the nub was pretty poor and did not work well for stability or ergonomics, IE it's hard for subtle movements and hurts your hand after playing for so long, which is why you can buy custom grips and sticks for the PSP... it was a big enough problem third parties made money off of it... and the NGP puts the nubs in the same place...  

They aren't nubs, they are actual sticks. And they are in totally different positions, i'm wondering if you have seen the NGP yet.

Around the Network
Mr.Metralha said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Xephonai said:
radiantshadow92 said:

Now, i'm not buying either at this point. Both software listing are weak for me on either systems for now. If we are talking hardware though, there is a HUGE thing the 3DS is missing.

Did we forget what paved the way for the psOne/Two?

DUAL ANALOG STICKS

This is the first real gen when Sony has opposition using dual analog sticks, and look! They losing! Dual analog change the way we play, by being able to control the fucking annoying camera on the screen! Imagine! Playing God of war with a roll stick!

Just saying guys. Dual analog sticks, Rule.

I think 1 stick tough screen is better than 2 sticks. I can see better responses especially from FPS. But who knows

Wait wha? So you think having 1 stick is better than 2 sticks?

Depends on the genre. Touch screen simulates mouse control on DS FPS's, and that's a better control method than dual analogs, at least I find it much more accurate and quicker to point.

i doubt it, the sales of FPS games are abysmal on the DS. If you what you say is true, there would be way better sales and an actual market for them on the DS.

disolitude said:

The moment you're playing a game that needs 2 analog stick, youre not playing a very good portable game but a wannabie console game.

Also 3DS has 2 analog inputs...touch screen and analog stick.

So I disagree.

The best games on the PSP are the "wannabe console" games. So i wouldn't be so quick to underestimate them.

greenmedic88 said:

The PSP nub had a lot less to do with the placement and a whole lot more to do with the "sliding disk" design, which was just bad.

If anyone wanted to bring ergnomics into a handheld discussion, they should probably start with the DS line and its hard edges and block-like form.

Seeing as how no one has used the NGP for any extended period of time, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt until I do in terms of ergonomics. As for the thumbsticks, they look like thumbsticks that pivot off one axis like a regular stick and early reports from those who used them have already gone on record as saying they feel great to use.

Ergonomically, the NGP will likely be the most comfortable handheld as it was designed contoured with smooth edges to conform to the hand, complete down to finger wells on the back for grip.

Eh ergonomics are more than just shape but placement too, the PSP nub wasn't bad on your hands because it slid or because the system wasn't curvy enough, it was the placement, and that's the same place they decided to put these sticks at, and still without something to stabilize your whole hand.

See the hand placement?  Alright when you use the analog on the PSP you have to angle your hand or else it hurts your thumb, that requires your palm and back fingers to be angled out as well, something that happens when you play with the PS1/2/3 controllers as well but they stabilize your hand with grips.

Without these grips your hands eventually cramp up a bit and it's also hard to stabilize your stick... no a normal person will not notice nor care, but when I'm sitting there trying to play a racing game on PSP with the stick it's frustrating as hell when it causes cramps and you might fidget thus ruining a good drift. 

The reason the DS doesn't have such issues is the same reason the NES controller didn't have the issue which is the D pad was closer to center and you were at least gripping something. 

Also I want to know what is up with that concave D pad... so odd...

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

radiantshadow92 said:
disolitude said:

The moment you're playing a game that needs 2 analog stick, youre not playing a very good portable game but a wannabie console game.

So I disagree.

The best games on the PSP are the "wannabe console" games. So i wouldn't be so quick to underestimate them.

If you are the type of person that brings a portable gaming console when on vacation and play it on the beach or anywhere else other than the airport and plane...you are pretty hardcore in to gaming, and dual analog sticks may be important to you as you really might enjoy console types of games on the go.

But for most of us who play these games as a quick gaming fix on the bus, train to work...or as a short session before bed when we cant sleep...console types of games are just not a good mobile gaming experience. I personally can't play something like COD or Halo while on the go...you have to be completely oblivious to your surroundings since the game requires 100% of your attention and I can't do that when I have people around me.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
radiantshadow92 said:
disolitude said:

So I disagree.

If you are the type of person that brings a portable gaming console when on vacation and play it on the beach or anywhere else other than the airport and plane...you are pretty hardcore in to gaming, and dual analog sticks may be important to you as you really might enjoy console types of games on the go.

But for most of us who play these games as a quick gaming fix on the bus, train to work...or as a short session before bed when we cant sleep...console types of games are just not a good mobile gaming experience. I personally can't play something like COD or Halo while on the go...you have to be completely oblivious to your surroundings since the game requires 100% of your attention and I can't do that when I have people around me.

Spot on and I couldn't have said it better.  One of the things that brought down the PSP was the lack of games that were meant as portable games and not home console games on the go.  PSP had a slew of PS2 ports and most of them didn't sell well at all, people want short bursts, not a game you sit and play for a couple of hours.

Pokemon is the definition of portable gaming, MH does this well, Crisis Core tried to stick to that formula of 10 minutes and done... but those games were few and far between on PSP... while on DS they were the bread and butter of the console, plus they had many versatile games like Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros, and Shonin Jump Super/ultimate stars (I imported it so sue me) all games you could sit down and focus on or play a quick round and go about your day.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

radiantshadow92 said:
Mr.Metralha said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Xephonai said:
radiantshadow92 said:

Now, i'm not buying either at this point. Both software listing are weak for me on either systems for now. If we are talking hardware though, there is a HUGE thing the 3DS is missing.

Did we forget what paved the way for the psOne/Two?

DUAL ANALOG STICKS

This is the first real gen when Sony has opposition using dual analog sticks, and look! They losing! Dual analog change the way we play, by being able to control the fucking annoying camera on the screen! Imagine! Playing God of war with a roll stick!

Just saying guys. Dual analog sticks, Rule.

I think 1 stick tough screen is better than 2 sticks. I can see better responses especially from FPS. But who knows

Wait wha? So you think having 1 stick is better than 2 sticks?

Depends on the genre. Touch screen simulates mouse control on DS FPS's, and that's a better control method than dual analogs, at least I find it much more accurate and quicker to point.

i doubt it, the sales of FPS games are abysmal on the DS. If you what you say is true, there would be way better sales and an actual market for them on the DS.

DS isn't a very suited handheld for FPS for graphical reasons. The standard for today FPS games is Halo, CSS and CoD.

A DS FPS despite very good controls (see metroid prime hunters) doesn't can't compete on the technical level, also DS online network doesn't make it much enticiting.

It just my opinion though. Try out a DS FPS for yourself, except CoD. It has heavy camera controls, don't know why.

radiantshadow92 said:
disolitude said:

So I disagree.

Well there's your the problem in your logic - - The best games on PSP are nothing compared to the best games overall

There isn't a SINGLE PSP game in sight in the top 50 games, neither review wise nor sales wise

MaxwellGT2000 said:
greenmedic88 said:

The PSP nub had a lot less to do with the placement and a whole lot more to do with the "sliding disk" design, which was just bad.

If anyone wanted to bring ergnomics into a handheld discussion, they should probably start with the DS line and its hard edges and block-like form.

Seeing as how no one has used the NGP for any extended period of time, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt until I do in terms of ergonomics. As for the thumbsticks, they look like thumbsticks that pivot off one axis like a regular stick and early reports from those who used them have already gone on record as saying they feel great to use.

Ergonomically, the NGP will likely be the most comfortable handheld as it was designed contoured with smooth edges to conform to the hand, complete down to finger wells on the back for grip.

Eh ergonomics are more than just shape but placement too, the PSP nub wasn't bad on your hands because it slid or because the system wasn't curvy enough, it was the placement, and that's the same place they decided to put these sticks at, and still without something to stabilize your whole hand.

See the hand placement?  Alright when you use the analog on the PSP you have to angle your hand or else it hurts your thumb, that requires your palm and back fingers to be angled out as well, something that happens when you play with the PS1/2/3 controllers as well but they stabilize your hand with grips.

Without these grips your hands eventually cramp up a bit and it's also hard to stabilize your stick... no a normal person will not notice nor care, but when I'm sitting there trying to play a racing game on PSP with the stick it's frustrating as hell when it causes cramps and you might fidget thus ruining a good drift. 

The reason the DS doesn't have such issues is the same reason the NES controller didn't have the issue which is the D pad was closer to center and you were at least gripping something. 

Also I want to know what is up with that concave D pad... so odd...

I give you an "A for effort" for the elaborate post and explanation, but as someone who's used the DSl over extended periods of time when I was stuck in the field, it is not what I consider to be ergonomic, natural, or comfortable to use.

Compact packaging came first with just about zero regard given in the design process to ergonomics. If I were to bother with case mods, I probably would have shaved both lower corners off and sanded them to smooth contours, which still wouldn't have addressed the "crab claw" hand position when using the shoulder buttons.

In short, the DS practically gives me hand cramps when I use it for any decent length of time. I like it for what it is, but ergomoic it ain't.

The analog sticks on the NGP are positioned much higher up than the "nub" on the PSP. Just below the central axis. In fact, given the size of the device, I'm willing to bet that they're positioned higher up than the D pad on the DS you consider to be ideally placed.

NotStan said:

"Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one"

http://thedcam.com/?p=997

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

Ernest Hemmingway