By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The thing that makes the NGP "miles" better than the 3DS

I'm personally looking forward to controlling the camera on the 3DS by spinning in my chair.

Around the Network
chriscox1121 said:

"miles better" equals dual ananlog sticks? is this a joke thread?

Yes

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

radiantshadow92 said:

Now, i'm not buying either at this point. Both software listing are weak for me on either systems for now. If we are talking hardware though, there is a HUGE thing the 3DS is missing.

Did we forget what paved the way for the psOne/Two?

DUAL ANALOG STICKS

This is the first real gen when Sony has opposition using dual analog sticks, and look! They losing! Dual analog change the way we play, by being able to control the fucking annoying camera on the screen! Imagine! Playing God of war with a roll stick! 

Just saying guys. Dual analog sticks, Rule.

I think 1 stick tough screen is better than 2 sticks. I can see better responses especially from FPS. But who knows

Want the Key to Eternal Life?
read about it here:
http://www.cipherwire.net/eternal_life.html

Wii Friend Code: 7592-1692-7773-4859

IMU1808 said:
radiantshadow92 said:
IMU1808 said:

I don't understand your comment about God of War. The series has always had an excellent FIXED camera with the second analogue being used just for dodging. Something that was handled perfectly well on the PSP versions.

EDIT: I really don't know why the gamer has to control the camera if the game isn't a shooter, racer, or open world game in which case it's expected.

It was handled well on the PSP, but not perfect. Imagine Demon's souls on the go, the possibilities are endless. I can go on with a list of software.

Demon's Souls is probably the last game most people would think of when it comes to portable game. That's something you really have to put hours into to really enjoy.  While it's good to haveo options for deeper experiences, the focus should be on more pick up and play friendly games and you'd usually think of more fixed camera games when it comes to that. You also wouldn't think of games with a lot of controls. 

LBP for example uses all the buttons on the controller but to really enjoy it all you need is 4 directional movement and 3 buttons: Grab, Jump and a menu button.  

High-hours-investment games have thrived on portables for decades, Pokemon being the biggest example, and Monster Hunter sealing the argument on PSP

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Xephonai said:
radiantshadow92 said:

Now, i'm not buying either at this point. Both software listing are weak for me on either systems for now. If we are talking hardware though, there is a HUGE thing the 3DS is missing.

Did we forget what paved the way for the psOne/Two?

DUAL ANALOG STICKS

This is the first real gen when Sony has opposition using dual analog sticks, and look! They losing! Dual analog change the way we play, by being able to control the fucking annoying camera on the screen! Imagine! Playing God of war with a roll stick! 

Just saying guys. Dual analog sticks, Rule.

I think 1 stick tough screen is better than 2 sticks. I can see better responses especially from FPS. But who knows

Wait wha? So you think having 1 stick is better than 2 sticks?

Around the Network
Mr.Ashtear said:

here we go again...

we should wait and stop making predictions, we already know what happened last generation (crows almost became extinct) 

This isn't a prediction. So yeah.....

Dual analogs Plus Multi Touch Screen & Panel = Win

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

milkyjoe said:

The NGP has far more impressive control potential than bloody dual analog sticks. In fact the use of dual analog will likely prevent simultaneous touchscreen control, which is a shame...

That's probably why SCE engineered the rear touch panel that provides 1:1 touch input to the corresponding spot on the OLED display.

You can use the analog sticks with both thumbs while inputting rear touch panel input with your fingers without having to change grip. Naturally, you can't do this with a front mounted touch panel.

There are so many different means of player input available with the NGP that each developer has a full bag of options in terms of how they want the player to control the gameplay.

IMU1808 said:

I don't understand your comment about God of War. The series has always had an excellent FIXED camera with the second analogue being used just for dodging. Something that was handled perfectly well on the PSP versions.

EDIT: I really don't know why the gamer has to control the camera if the game isn't a shooter, racer, or open world game in which case it's expected.

Yeah, GoW was the one major downscaled console game that didn't suffer from the lack of a 2nd stick as the game never had a free movement 3D camera. VCII worked fine as well (nothing lost in translation), but mainly because it's not a fast moving action game.

But just about every other 3rd person game, FPS game, or non-2D shooter has benefitted from the inclusion of a free roam 3D camera.

About the only modern games that don't benefit are those specifically designed with fixed camera angles as a gameplay element or those with a low framerate that would be exposed by rapid user camera movement.

People are excited about dual analog controls? What is this, 1998?

Mouse/pointer/touch screen are all way beyond dual analog. The sooner it's gone, the better.